F-14 GB project (Revell kit)...

Let me start off by saying that this has not been a very cooperative kit build-wise. The cockpit was great, but the cockpit to fuselage assembly was rather stubborn, and even though I followed Darren Roberts' awesome Tips 'n' Tools article on building this thing, the intake to fuselage assembly has not been pleasant either. I dread to try and do this without following Darren's modifications :cheers:. Let's just say that this assembly would be a lot easier with recessed lines. Yes, I've managed to sand off a little little bit of panel line, but not too much. I can rescribe what I've lost with minimal effort. First up is one of the intake to fuselage seams, just roughly sanded. It will be cleaned up and polished once I'm sure I've got everything where I want it, and there's no more filling to do and seams to fiddle with.

Thanks for all the compliments, folks! The only reason I have progressed so much over the last year is because of everyone here. I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Thanks again, and I'll keep posting more updates. Today I managed to get the fuselage halves together, which was making me very, very :thumbsup: . You really have to pound this kit into submission! :blink:

Glue's almost dry right now, so pics will be on the way soon. ;)

This is the AIM-7 pylon (AIM-9 rail to be added soon). The kit came with the Sparrow already attached to the pylon, so since I wanted to do a bird w/o any ordinance, I chopped it off and filled the gaps. I'm not sure if this looks OK, though. If I need to correct anything or I royally screwed up please let me know.

Now for the fuselage...

As I said, I am using Darren Roberts' technique of building this kit. The surgery on the wings went a little bit easier than I thought it would, and I'm really pleased with the way they slide in and out. Just need to be careful not to pop the seam around that area.

Your are coming along fine, but may I offer some advise:

You need to elimiate the rasied punch pin marks on the inside of the gear doors, as they stick out like a sore thumb. Just shave them off with a knife and sand it smooth. It'll go to great lengths to improve the look and appeal in that area!

Mike V

Yeah, gotta agree there! Damn, now that means I've got to bust out the white paint again :thumbsup: I hate white paint!!!

Anyway, last fuselage shot...

Note that nasty looking area where the gun panel is going to go. Doesn't that just look awful :blink:? I dry-fit the panel on there, and it seems to fit OK, so that shouldn't be a problem (I hope).

James,

Can you provide a link to Darren Roberts article in Tools n Tips? I can't find it.

Thanks!

Paul

I was looking for it the other day, and couldn't seem to come across it myself. I printed it out and filed it away many months ago. If in fact I do stumble across it, I'll be glad to provide you with it.

James,

Can you provide a link to Darren Roberts article in Tools n Tips? I can't find it.

Thanks!

Paul

If you go to the Gallery section, it's included in the submission I wrote for the VF-124 Tomcat model....I think! :wacko: I know you can get to it from Steve's pinned article on the Academy Tomcat. He makes reference to it in there.

James,

Thanks!

Paul

If you go to the Gallery section, it's included in the submission I wrote for the VF-124 Tomcat model....I think! :) I know you can get to it from Steve's pinned article on the Academy Tomcat. He makes reference to it in there.

Thanks Darren, I was hoping you'd come across this and be able to point these people in the right direction! By the way, Steel Beach Accessories ROCKS :wacko: !!! I love the pre-covered nozzles and the intake covers are superb!