Tilt's 1/32nd Acad CF-18

So Tilt, I hope that, as well as all others that have made the 'big bug', you can give us the most information. I 've never been to Canada, let alone seen a Canadian Hornet live (I 've seen a spanish one in Volkel, The Netherlands tho!), and would appreciate any useful info, guidance, reference photos or bibliography.

Dimosthenis,

IPMS Canada also has an excellent article on how to convert a 'C' to a CF-188A. Same mods would apply to the CF-188B.

Article Here

Failing that, send a PM to Tilt or ColinK. I found both of them to be very helpful when I built my Canadian Big Bug .

Taking a page from 'Pig's Philosophy',

Oh Lord help us!...'cause part of this philosophy is "dogs don't know its not bacon!"

Anyhoo...Tilt! You are the man! The work you did on these nozzles is outstanding, and I prefer your solution! They pass the 4 inch test as far as I'm concerned..really shi* hot stuff! Wow :thumbsup: I noticed you also notched them at the base where the nozzle meets the fuselage..perfect!That is exactly the way they need to be..you have the eye.

I am psyched that you are doing the checker...big juevos there, and it'll be awesome!

:worship:

regards!

Pig

Taking a page from 'Pig's Philosophy',

Oh Lord help us!...'cause part of this philosophy is "dogs don't know its not bacon!"

Anyhoo...Tilt! You are the man! The work you did on these nozzles is outstanding, and I prefer your solution! They pass the 4 inch test as far as I'm concerned..really shi* hot stuff! Wow :thumbsup: I noticed you also notched them at the base where the nozzle meets the fuselage..perfect!That is exactly the way they need to be..you have the eye.

I am psyched that you are doing the checker...big juevos there, and it'll be awesome!

regards!

Pig

"dogs don't know its not bacon!"

Thanks Pig!! I'm glad we're doing this model at the same time. You're sort of 'egging me on' to bring it up a couple notches (even though you may not know it).

I was hoping you'd notice the extra notches at the base of the cans. I was going to PM you about it, but you already picked up on it. Here's a photo that helps.....

wk10.JPG

Cheers,

Tilt

Geez, I missed that one entirely! I suddenyl feel so unworthy......

Might as well smash mine now.......

Now now my young Padawan.....

.....you must not allow yourself to be taken over by forces that would see fit to work against you.

That's the beauty of 1/32nd scale. Much detail can be added by just carefully looking at reference photos. I'm sure I'll miss some things, but I'm going to try and catch as much as I can. And besides....your Hornet was finished very nicely!! And you get extra points for being one of the first to do a CF-18 with the big Academy Hornet.

I've decided that if I make it to Atlanta this year....I'll bring this big fella. Not sure how I'll transport it.....I may have to carry it on in a box. I may not even be allowed to do that. Can you imagine the looks from the other passengers??!!

:thumbsup: What's in the box??!!

Anyways....It'd be cool to bring it.

Cheers,

Tilt

I've decided that if I make it to Atlanta this year....I'll bring this big fella. Not sure how I'll transport it.....I may have to carry it on in a box. I may not even be allowed to do that. Can you imagine the looks from the other passengers??!!

:thumbsup: What's in the box??!!

Tilt...Just put it up in the cockpit with me. No worries!

Pig

Tilt, I can assure you, your site has been thoroughly "SCANNED" and Studied! ;)

(wish I was that lucky in "back-seating" fighter aircraft! :thumbsup: :) )

All revelant undergoing constructions are also being closely followed. ;)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! :)

A little more work done. Nothing major...just mostly fill-in work.

I'm starting to look at the drivetrain. I mocked up the intake tubes and engines inside the body to see how it all sits. I also wanted to see how nicely the intakes would line up with the intake tubes. It fit not too bad, but care will be required to hide seams.

I was able to gauge how well you could visual the engine fan blades. It's about as good as the real thing. Very dark!! So I finished the blades a bit brighter than I normally would. This will simulate a correct look once it's together (or at least good enough for me).

Fan%2001.JPG

The burner element will be quite well hidden once in place, so I finished it as good as I needed to. A person could add more detail here.....but I'd rather put my efforts to visible parts.

Burner%2001.JPG

The Cans are coming along nicely. Still needs a touch of work to add realism, as well as a dull coat to reduce the shine. (oh....and yes...I see the little fuzzy in this photo....don't know how those suckers sneak in!!)

Nozzles%2004.JPG

More work to go!! Lov'n this Hornet kit!!

Cheers,

Tilt

Geez, I missed that one entirely!  I suddenyl feel so unworthy......

.....you must not allow yourself to be taken over by forces that would see fit to work against you.

That's the beauty of 1/32nd scale. Much detail can be added by just carefully looking at reference photos. I'm sure I'll miss some things, but I'm going to try and catch as much as I can. And besides....your Hornet was finished very nicely!! And you get extra points for being one of the first to do a CF-18 with the big Academy Hornet.

:wave: What's in the box??!!

Cheers,

Tilt

Phone the airline in advance to find out their policies.

Geez, I missed that one entirely!  I suddenyl feel so unworthy......

;)

;) What's in the box??!!

Cheers,

Tilt

Phone the airline in advance to find out their policies.

Tilt You should not have a problem... Just don't use Lead BB's for Balast.

I would suggest that you pack it as if it was checked baggage and make sure the outside dimensions adhere to the Carry on Guideline. Now you make your Trip through YYZ and I'll take care of that Bird for you... (NO it will not end up on my shelf!!! :D )

:cheers:

Emil

:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the airliner tips guys. It'll be interesting!!

Well I got to work on the Big Hornet some more over the weekend. I decided to try a bit of detailing in the landing gear department. I've never done anything like this before, but I've seen enough artists here at ARC do this. I figured why not give it a try.

Certainly not in the 'Richy' category (yet!!), but I'm quite happy with my first attempt at adding hydrolic lines to gear legs. It took a lot of searching around for wire sizes that would work, as well as scanning the internet looking at references. I dug up some old posts from Richy's Hornet, as well as some other models here at ARC for inspiration. Not a 100% match to the real thing, but I'm very pleased with the results so far....

Gear%2001.JPG

The finish treatment and weathering will 'tell the tale' on whether I make them convincing enough or not. At least progress has been made. In the future I'll try and get better at selecting wire sizes to use for lines. I think this'll help with realism.

Now.....I have to figure out if I'm going to use the rubber tires or the 2 part plastic tires!! Hmmmm.....

Cheers,

Tilt

Thanks Erick,

Plenty of 'kit supplied' detail for this fella!!

I'm using the kit cockpit with a 'Cutting Edge' resin seat. The kit cockpit is quite well done and will only require some small added details to reach a very realistic look.

I'm looking to start the cockpit soon.

Cheers,

Tilt

Cool cant wait to see the photos for that, yeah I have 3 Hornets 1 is going to be a VFC-13 Aggressor bird that one is in Germany, the other I am thinking about doing in the Marine digital camo that was posted in the Real Aviation section, and the third is going to be a Blue Angels, so I have my work cut out for me for the next couple of years, keep up the good work my friend Erick

:cheers:

Thanks for all the airliner tips guys. It'll be interesting!!

Well I got to work on the Big Hornet some more over the weekend. I decided to try a bit of detailing in the landing gear department. I've never done anything like this before, but I've seen enough artists here at ARC do this. I figured why not give it a try.

Certainly not in the 'Richy' category (yet!!), but I'm quite happy with my first attempt at adding hydrolic lines to gear legs. It took a lot of searching around for wire sizes that would work, as well as scanning the internet looking at references. I dug up some old posts from Richy's Hornet, as well as some other models here at ARC for inspiration. Not a 100% match to the real thing, but I'm very pleased with the results so far....

Gear%2001.JPG

The finish treatment and weathering will 'tell the tale' on whether I make them convincing enough or not. At least progress has been made. In the future I'll try and get better at selecting wire sizes to use for lines. I think this'll help with realism.

Now.....I have to figure out if I'm going to use the rubber tires or the 2 part plastic tires!! Hmmmm.....

Cheers,

Tilt

Tilt!

Lookin' good! Can you just resin-cast some copies of yours for me? :unsure:

They look great :trolls:

Pig