Retry: Progress Pics of my 747-400

Hi Everyone,

Sorry about that first HTML post. It took me a minute to figure out how to post images from my server.

I thought I'd post some pictures of my current project for my fellow modelers to view and critique. I'm trying to build a 1/144 Revell 747-400 in Quantas livery with the special Formula 1 decals. Man is it a chore! I'm using JetDecals to accomplish the feat. This was supposed to be a quick build, a chance to get away from my military aircraft building but has proven to be more cumbersome.

The model itself needed a lot of sanding and puttying, at least more than i'm used to. This includes filling the windows and using the decals provided in their place. After checking my references the decals proved to be inaccurate also. This lead me to the chore of taping and painting the red checkers with my airbrsh, as well as the gradation to black.

actualPlane.jpg

actualPlane2.jpg

Reference photos.

white.jpg

If I build another airliner I don't think I'll assemble the entire plane before painting. Must be a habit from my military aircraft building

tape1.jpg

tape3.jpg

tape2.jpg

After a couple of sittings (many hours) the labore intensive Tamiya masking job is complete.

wingPaint.jpg

Yeah! I finally get to paint something!

redPaint.jpg

redPaint2.jpg

I found that Italian Red by MM is an almost exact match for the decals. It's not Quantas red but on this project I felt it was better to match the decals so the plane as a consistent look like the real one. The photos show it a little more oramge than it actually is.

redPaint3.jpg

With as much work as I've put into it so far I am happy with the way it's progressing. What do you guys think? Any helpful tips? Especially if anyones got a good idea for how to paint the metal trim around the cockpit glass.

Happy Modeling, Chris

hi, i like what you've done so far with it.

well, i noticed that there are some gaps in the place where you will stick the cockpit windows, so, i'd suggest to cover it up with filler, sand it, and respray with the white paint.

RE: metal trim around cockpit windows.

i assume that one of the decal sheets contains the decal of the cockpit window. so what i would do is to photo copy the decal of the cockpit window first.

then stick a tamiya masking tape on the backside of the photocopied paper where the cockpit image would be.

turn the paper where the image is facing you and use a sharp scalpel to trace the cockpit windows with it. the idea is that as you cut the windows you also cut the masking tape that's underneath. when you're done, you should be left with the mask for the windows.

you apply the actual window masks to the model, be careful to position the windows just right.

now use a strip of masking tape to trace around the windows at a space 1 - 1.5 millimeters from the actual window mask. and then you are free to mask all the other vulnerable part of the model and spray with either aluminium or revell's silver. what i find strange is that there should have been a decal with your requirements for metal strip on the decal sheet. well, i hpoe this helps...good luck

:bandhead2:

The is no gap in the windows. The glass is masked by scotch tape and painted over. I recently removed the masked, and had some difficulty doing doing it. In these photos you can see where I started to lift the tape. It looks like a gap but is actually smooth.

well, what i'd is leave the mask as it is untill you've finished with the liveries and painting as a whole, until you are ready to put it on wheels. this will also allow the paint adhere better. i understand that modellers have the breverbal itch to see their results as soon as possible, but we must resist it.

i also recommend to see the article done by pierre greutert of switzerland. he is also on this website and he does remarkable things, he goes by the name user "Scalephantomphixer", just as yours is "jungle". you click on his username and there will be a link to "ImageEvent.com", click on that and there will be progress reports of Airbus A380, you will love it!!!!!

;)

The PantomPhixer as some great work! hanks for pointing me to his web site. I have been following his discussion of his current project on the board but didn't know he had a photo gallrty posted. Thanks again.

Chris