Fw190D-9 - Hasegawa 1/32

Hi all,

I was thinking it would be possible to finish this kit this weekend or at least work on most important remaining parts... I was wrong :o

I first started airbrushing the engine exhaust stains, with heavily thinned Tamiya Black, sprayed in thin layers with minimum pressure. Not too bad yet :

190D9-92.jpg

Then I started same work on right side... And at this time, s**t happened : a big drop of paint felt from the airbrush cup ... on the plane. Riht on the belly engine cowls, on yellow paint... I was forced to immediately wipe the paint to avoid more damage to other parts. And given the thinner percentage of the paint, it created large stains :cheers: :( :blink: ;) :) :cheers:

190D9-93.jpg

A large area of yellow cowling is damaged, as well as several cooler flaps...

There I had a few seconds of total despair pb_smiley_cry.gifpb_smiley_cry.gifpb_smiley_cry.gifpb_smiley_cry.gifpb_smiley_cry.gif

In fact I guess it is not THAT bad... I will mask all untouched areas around cowling to protect them, then I just need to sand/paint/weather the yellow cowl again...

190D9-94.jpg

Work will be not too difficult as the whole frontal part and propeller are removable, as they are attached by polycaps rings, and not glued...

Ok, I am returning to this task now, i hope to have it fixed before tomorrow...

A BIG THANK YOU to all of you for your replies <_< :beer4:

Weeee I can breathe again... It is (almost) ok now :

Area to repair have been carefully masked, then I did sand and polish all the stains and damaged paint, until I get a very smooth and clean surface.

190D9-95.jpg

Then I airbrushed again the colors and did a slight pos-shading (panel centers, darkening of edges and lines).

I still need to finish with a small wash in lines and rivets, then I will be able to restart what is left to be done until this bird is finished...

Chris

That's exactly why I do not and will never use a color cup again.

Bad things happen..... :worship:

Been following your progress on this one and it sure is looking good

despite the little set back which you seem to have under control. <_<

:beer4:

Jerry :cheers:

BlackDog: when I saw the thread I was really afraid to look what happened. Then I saw what happened and couldn´t help thinking "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I had once a similar problem with some thinner ruining my paint job on a yellow area, but I never managed to get an even painted surface: that different background always showed through the yellow paint, no matter how many coats I did put on!

How did you do it? After polishing the surface did you re-primed it?

Now that I see that you managed to fix the problem in such a brilliant way I feel much better: this is a too beautiful build to be ruined by a stupid thinner drop!!!!

/Kristian

I had once a similar problem with some thinner ruining my paint job on a yellow area, but I never managed to get an even painted surface: that different background always showed through the yellow paint, no matter how many coats I did put on!

How did you do it? After polishing the surface did you re-primed it?

Hi all,

no I did not apply a primer coat again. I was wondering if I could do it without primer but I was trying to repaint only part of the yellow cowling so using a primer coat would have been difficult to manage. So I just carefully polished the surface to be sure to NOT have any rough spot that could show under the new paint, then I airbrushed RLM 04 Yellow thinned 50/50 in thin mists, until the job was done. The color is not too translucid, while being still thin, so repair was not too difficult.

Regards,

Chris