furniture gloss laquer

Guest PHILL S

hey all

Ive been trying to find future and my hobby store doesn't carry acrylic

clear coats, does anybody know if the acrylic laquer u buy at the hardware store can be used through an airbrush and not be detrimentle to the finished paint work?

You are asking about the varnish used for wood? If it's so, don't waste your time, I used it once on a Mono's Me 262 andn the stuff didn't have enough gloss for decals to settle; and after a few weeks it started to lift ruining the model.

Get automotive lacquer. Much cheaper than any modeling lacquer. You could also try the acrylic gloss clear made by Windsor&Newton or Lefranc&Burgois made for varnishing paintings.

HTH,

Ricardo monketdance4.gif

What do you mean by 'automotive lacquer'? I always have a hard time trying to determine what type of paint is in a rattle can?? Are the brands themselves good indicators of the types of paints?? If it just says 'lacquer' on the can, is that the same as 'automotive lacquer'??

Murray

No,automotive lacquer does not lift any paint. I've had very good results with it cause it gives a much smoother finish than regular modeling lacquers. The glossiness is unbeatable; thin with regular lacquer thinner and spray in thin coats to avoid crazing (it happened to me once).

HTH,

Ricardo

PS: ask for it at automotive supplies stores.