Star Trek Enterprise

Well Enterprise never aired in Australia, certainly not on free to air anyways. But being a little naughty, I used bittorrent to download all the episodes and have watched a few here and there.

The DVD's sell here for AU$30 each and only have 2 episodes on each, a total rip-off considering the cost.

Not a bad show really, lets hope the revival campaign gathers steam and convinces Paramount to go with 5th season.

I hope Polar Lights continue with the kits, after all even without current shows, the ST universe is still very much alive.

:bobby:

MikeJ

Geez, don't do that to me man! When I saw the word "Cancelled" I thought that the new 1/350 scale kit was "cancelled". Whew! Now I can breathe easier.

Peace,

Randy

Calm down :D , just the show has been cancelled, the PL 1/350 is still scheduled to show up in April, unless they delay it again. :worship:

Jari

I believe that I read somewhere in Sci-fi that even Jolene Blalock thought this ought to be Enterprise's last season. By the article, I believe she too was an original "Trekker" (according to the article, she thought Mr. Spock was sexy...). I will look up where she actually said all she said.

Definitely sad news, especially considering that the show had finally gotten it's stuff together this season, dealing with the founding of the federation (love those Andorians-Shran and his bunch are excellent characters) and making peace between the major players in the quadrant. This should have been the story line of Enterprise fron the very start! :woot.gif:

I wonder if that's why it got cancelled.

In my opinion, though I'm not as much of a Trek fan as I used to be, I think this show is very well done, the characters are solid and believeable (including Mr. Bakula and his apparent geekiness), and the effects are top notch.

Perhaps it is a combination of all the aforementioned reasons, but I think its because they bumped it to Friday nights. A couple of shows I've liked in the past get bumped to Fridays (and then to Sundays, etc...), ultimately getting cancelled.

It's a shame, not just for trekkies, but for good shows period. B)

Star Trek has suffered from pretty poor writing in the main for sometime.

Do not get me wrong, I love Star Trek but compare it to the story lines in Stargate (SG1 and Atlantis), Babylon 5 and now BSG-2003 and you might see what I mean.

I have had to download all of Enterprise as it is not being shown here in Australia and I am enjoying what I watch. However I think Berman and co have a few things to answer to...

Star Trek Original is still the best Trek - even with the 60's themes and atititudes...

:wave:

MikeJ

Let's face it - there were some real clunkers in the first two years, perhaps exemplified by the episode Precious Cargo. It was one of the oldest, most hackneyed, overdone story lines in history, so bad it wasn't even good for humour. I think that was the kind of thing that turned off many early viewers, and they never returned.

I also think that they had 'too much too soon' in terms of technology. I would have made it a bit more primitive - transporters would in no way be anywhere near safe enough for humans, subspace communications unreliable or even non-existant, communication with aliens a lot more difficult, etc. And too many time travel stories, a personal hate of mine due to all the paradoxes involved. (If I ever created a science fiction series that is one thing that would be absolutely forbidden!)

I think they've kind of backed themselves into a corner. They can't really go any further back, but if they go too far into the future they risk that things will become too easy, with technology and medical science solving just about every problem they could possibly face.

Star Trek has suffered from pretty poor writing in the main for sometime.

Originally, I was kind of hoping they could avoid the "time travel" issue all together, but they leaped to it almost immediately.

You do have to admit though, with the nature of the Star Trek universe, that all the ideas have basically been used up. :worship:

I also think that they had 'too much too soon' in terms of technology. I would have made it a bit more primitive - transporters would in no way be anywhere near safe enough for humans, subspace communications unreliable or even non-existant, communication with aliens a lot more difficult, etc. And too many time travel stories, a personal hate of mine due to all the paradoxes involved. (If I ever created a science fiction series that is one thing that would be absolutely forbidden!)

Yeah, that was one of the things that turned me off too, as well as the overall look of the series. The ships all appeared to belong more in TNG's timeframe and when the series was announced, I was hoping for a wonderous blend of the stark look of TOS made with modern SFX (I love how things looked in the DS9 ep with the time travel back to The Trouble With Tribbles story), much like the TOS-based films, but it didn't happen.

That was my wife's first thoughts as well. However in defence of the "look" of Enterprise, one must remember that TOS (still the best) was made nearly 40 years ago and reflected the special effects of the time. NX-01's bridge look and feel is a logical development to modern C&C's in modern warships.

I like the fact the transporter is still a bit sporatic and I also like the bulky look of the phase pistols...

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't mind the theme music/song...the one series I didn't like the opening music for was DS-9...it put me to sleep more than once!

I hope they do a lil mid life refit into the whole frnachise...give it a rest and make it better....I for one thought a BattleStar Galactica remake was a tremondous mistake, but have been proven wrong. The Trek franchise is exactly that...a money making unit that is run by various entities...an like any good franchise, it can be run properly again. Myself, I'd liked to have seen an anthology based series, where they don't necessarily follow any one given ship or crew or anything, just use the massive Trek universe to base various stories in, that way, you can have StarFleet Academy, Ferengies on Ice, Klingon Kristmas and whatever a GOOD series of writers could dream up. <_<

Or more chicks on spandex. :(

Alvis 3.1

• 2 weeks later...

Not that specific rumor...but fans are trying to get Sci-Fi to pick it up...similar to Stargate and Andromeda. Not likely as Sci-Fi is owned by Univeral/NBC and I doubt Paramount would share the license at a cost that would make it reasonable.

Sponge

Don't get me started on Andromeda...

For a show that held a great deal of promise, it degenerated from season 3 and the current season, season 5 is absolutely woeful. A friend and myself are watching it, just to say we watched the whole series.

My wife gave up...she is the intelligent one!

:monkeydance:

MikeJ

The problem with Star Trek can basically be summed up in two words.

Rick. Berman.

If you look at the Star Trek related material (merchandise and the like) to come out since he took the helm, its obvious that he thinks the average Star Trek fan is the guy who learned to speak Klingon, lives with his parents, and plans on naming his firstborn "Spock."

He actually once flat out said he hated the original series.

And apparently he thought Star Trek Nemesis was good.

Let's look at the facts here. UPN, the network that doesn't cancel ANYTHING, cancelled Star Trek. They kept Voyager on the air for seven seasons, for crying out loud. Enterprise is finally starting to get good and they pull the plug?

No wonder Activision sued Viacom.

Edited by McNally