who has the Mig-29 picture of USA?

Sunyu,

The Mig-29s that USAF bought from Moldova to prevent a possible Iranian purchase were mostly used for test and evaluation. I don't think there ever was a publicly available photo where they wore anything other than Moldovan markings. I doubt they were ever painted in any other way. Maybe they could be painted with fake Soviet markings as many of the static former Warsaw Pact aircraft that are exhibited in some USAF bases.

The Mig-29s that USAF bought from Moldova to prevent a possible Iranian purchase

Kursad, I doubt this was the reason because:

1) Iranians already had Fulcrums bought directly from russia in 1990

2) Iranians got more Fulcrums from Iraq during Desert Storm

3) As you can understand from 1), Russians did not and have not problem selling Iran military aircraft directly

4) The Fulcrums were rather disappointment for IRIAF, so Iranians were not interested in further purchase

The Mig-29s that USAF bought from Moldova to prevent a possible Iranian purchase

3) As you can understand from 1), Russians did not and have not problem selling Iran military aircraft directly

4) The Fulcrums were rather disappointment for IRIAF, so Iranians were not interested in further purchase

Jan,

This reason was very well publicized and generated a lot of discussion in publications all over the world; it is not my own speculation. The Moldovan Mig-29's were said to be nuclear capable, and the purchase of these aircraft by US was said to be a preemptive move to prevent them from being purchased by Iran. Modifications on a military aircraft to enable the carriage of nuclear weapons provides important clues on the design of authorization and triggering systems and PAL (permissive action link) technology, so it makes sense that an aircraft wired to interface with these systems would be helpful to a country with known nuclear aspirations.

Jan,

This reason was very well publicized and generated a lot of discussion in publications all over the world; it is not my own speculation. The Moldovan Mig-29's were said to be nuclear capable, and the purchase of these aircraft by US was said to be a preemptive move to prevent them from being purchased by Iran. Modifications on a military aircraft to enable the carriage of nuclear weapons provides important clues on the design of authorization and triggering systems and PAL (permissive action link) technology, so it makes sense that an aircraft wired to interface with these systems would be helpful to a country with known nuclear aspirations.

The Moldavian MiG-29's were "C" Models, and evidentially Nuc capable. There is one at the Nellis AFB TTF. It is painted as a A/C from a guards regiment.

FulcrumFront.jpg

Fulcrumcockpit.jpg

Actually, the Guards markings were what was found underneath the Moldovan paint, when they began stripping it down.

I agree that the gloss paint has to go. That's horrid.

I havent been to Nellis since 2000, did they ever put the engines back in it?

Jeff

I was there last in Nov 2002 and the motors were not in it. However If my moldy brains can remember there was a motor next to it.

• 10 months later...
What about Peru and Cuba,we are not americans too????

USA only is not all America,please remember that.

While it is true that there is North America, Latin America, and South America, and members of those regions are considered 'american', answer this; when ask where you are from do you say "I am from Cuba / Peru", or do you say I am from America." ? My bet you say the country you live in not the american region, however since it is the United States of American, and when ask which country they are from, the answer is America, and also that is how the rest of the world uses the term when asking info regarding something from the USA. Would anyone really ask for info on America MiG-29 if you wanted info for a Cuban / Peruvian MiG-29? It just would not make sense and only confuse people to do otherwise, and is not meant as a slight to any of the other countries in the Americas.

Regards

Jim Barr

Edited by Jim Barr

Knowing that today's friends might later become enemies, the Soviets were unwilling to sell their best hardware to allied countries. So usually "export" versions had downgraded parameters (less capable radar and so on). The export MiG-29A was available in 2 versions: 9.12A (for warsaw pact countries, very similar to the soviet version) and 9.12B (the less capable export version for Irak, Iran and so on).

So, apart from beeing nuclear capable or not, the Moldovian (soviet-standard) Fulcrum-Cs should have been much more interesting for a country that had only MiG-29 (9.12B).

Yuri