Tell me, where do you get your solder?

Thanks Matt. Check with Radio Shack or any Electronics supplier. I've found solder in varying thicknesses and you can get a spool of it fairly cheap.

those engines look great, could we please have some close-up's at some time.

Hi Robin,

I wish I could say the engines are something I managed to make, but in truth they are the white metal engines from Aeroclub, cleaned up and painted... nothing more. The only "drawback" if you can call it that, is the cam and valve springs are all molded as one "clump" on top of the cylinders, but with careful painting they look fine. I do plan on making some Liberty masters and seperating those components at some point in time though.

I will still take a photo closeup when I get a chance. I have a couple that are not assembled yet that I can photograph too.

Cheers

Mike

And here's a shot with the center wing struts in place, the rigging started on the center bays, wind driven fuel pumps in place and the leather straps that held the hinged covers for the fuel tanks in place. Tonight I paint the top wing, glosscoat and weather the bottom outer wing panels and tail, and pain the fin flash on the rudder. With any luck, I will begin assembly this weekend.

Cheers

Mike

All the painting is done except for the glosscoating of the top wing. In my haste to build this thing I forgot to reskin the lower aelerons... oops... a quick diversion to get them done before painting was in order. I have the top wing set in place for a final check before final assembly, and knock on wood, nothing has moved... yet. I won't breathe easy until it's epoxied in place and rigging is done, and it's still in place. With anyluck I should be able to have the majority of the assembly done by next weekend.

Till next time,

Cheers

Mike

:rofl: Hi Mike, getting better all the time, must admit to checking my colours and markings book to confirm that you had got the stripes on the fin the right way round, needn't have bothered, should have known you had done your research. Now comes the rigging, best of luck.

:rofl:

Robin.

must admit to checking my colours and markings book to confirm that you had got the stripes on the fin the right way round

In truth I had to double check Robin. Having made that blunder once before though :angry: , made me stop to double check.

The top wing is now epoxied in place, and I've started the rigging. I did the X bracing wires between the struts before I installed the wing struts. Not having to work around them made it a lot easier. After the epoxy set, I removed the beastie from the jig, and holding my breath, nothing moved, and no merry little "tink tink... tink tink tink tinl tink" sound of snapping rigging wires or glue joints. :( I used a light gray wash on the upper surfaces of the green areas, and a burnt umber wash on all the bottom surfaces. A moment of panic at first, as I've never done washes before, and I wasn;t happy with the results. So much so that I was afraid I was going to have to repaint the beast. I rag with a little turpentine on it, softened up the iol paint wash just enough to remove the excess, and I am happy with the results. I am going for a well worn, sun streaked finish, as this particular bird served in Egypt in 1919. So far knock on wood I am pleased with the results. Now I have to paint the landing gear struts and fit them, then some small fiddley bits to make and add, finish the rigging and the beast is finished.

Cheers

Mike

This morning I woke all bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to get back at this thing. Last night I painted the landing gear struts and axle, and this morning epoxied them in place and wrapped the shock cords around the axle. The struts are made from Contrail Strut, and the axel is .032" brass wire, and I soldered a narrow strip of copper to the bottom. This is nested in the crotch of the Landing Gear Strut, then I wrapped it with tan thread to simulate the shock cords, and after it was wrapped, soaked the thread with CA to harden it. This will make the gear pretty strong, as this is turning out to be a fairly heavy model. This first picture shows the strut installed before wrapping...

... and this shows the wrapped strut, and weathered with pastels. I need to paint the brace struts yet, and install them, make and install the tail skid, and then I can set this on it's wheels for the first time and begin the rigging in earnest. Lots of little things to go yet, but with any luck, I should have it finished by next weekend.

Cheers

Mike

The beast is on its wheels for the first time. I added the tail skid and began the rigging today, I should be able to get it finished by this weekend with any luck. Next picture will be of the finished model. Thanks for all the comments and support.

Cheers

MIke