Trumpeter 1/32nd Su-27

A nice pair indeed! Do you manage to use superglue for attaching the smallest detail bits or some thing more forgiving - just curious as every second time I try something that small the part seems more attracted to my tweezers than where it's supposed to go.

Cheers,

Mickey

Hi Mickey, thanks for the compliment, To answer your question, I do use Super-Glue for the small parts.

A tiny amount to start with, then use more around the joint once the parts are tacked in place.

For most of the wire connections I pre-drill a small hole which helps to locate the part before glueing.

HTH

<_<

Thanks for that info. Hadn't thought about the "tack welding" approach. In fact, there's a lot of methods on this thread that I've not thought of before! I can see I need to use a 0.5mm loop for the glue instead of the 1.0mm I'm using at the moment.

Cheers,

Mickey

Hi folks,

Many thanks for all of the kind comments, very much appreciated ^_^

At last,I've finished..............................................the starboard MLG leg :huh:

Here are a couple of pics:

Kif_1986.jpg

I apologise for the grainy photos. I'm having a few problems with my digital camera. I think the metering system has some bugs in it :woot.gif:

Kif_1987.jpg

Hopefully, you can make out some detail in the pics...........

Kif_1989.jpg

If you can see anything I've forgotten, please let me know..........

Kif_1984.jpg

I'm off to attack the port MLG leg again. See you later.

:cheers:

Thanks PapaSmurf630 and FrankC, that means alot. Having my stuff compared to the real article is the best compliment I can think of :yahoo:

.........my progress is almost at a halt.

Hi Wasserfall, thank you for the kind words, I'm sorry that we can't see more of your build. I hope that you'll be able to get back on your Flanker before too long. Cheer up my friend, just think how much you will enjoy it when you can make some more progress, eh? ;)

I'm happy to be able to add another update today..... :o

I've managed to complete the assembly of the port gear leg, but it's drying off, so pics on Monday if all goes according to plan. (I'm at Donington Park watching the Le Mans cars strut their stuff tomorrow B) )

In the mean time, here's a glimpse of the nose leg retractor arm before it's painted.

Kif_1991.jpg

The kit item is n't at all bad on this one but there is a little you can do if you're so inclined.......

As you can see, I've removed the molded on hydraulic line and replaced it. I've also added a box to the top of the arm with an additional hose. This adds some interest here.

The nut at the joint is a Grandt Line product adapted slightly.

The white collar is a hexagonally shaped "nut" made out of circular plastic rod, filed to shape.

Kif_1994.jpg

I need to add a washer at the joint of the arm to the leg (circled in red) and that'll just about do it.

I've actually had this big girl on her own legs once..........I think I'll finish the decalling first before I fix them for good.

Have a great weekend, see you on the bank holiday.

:rofl:

A BIG "Thank you" fellas, I'm glad you like it.

Well, I'm back to it and after a little tweaking, here's a glimpse of her on her own three feet wheels.......

I apologise once again for the naff photography. My plan is to take the final pics using my SLR, on film, then have them transferred to disc for an article to Steve. Hopefully, they'll turn out better than these :D (fingers crossed)

First, the nose gear...........

Kif_1995.jpg

The legs are just push fit at present. I plan to complete most of the decalling before sticking everything in permanently.

Next, the port gear bay.........

Kif_2006.jpg

and a closer look at the scissor link.............

Kif_2014.jpg

and finally for now, the starboard gear and bay.............

Kif_2010.jpg

Kif_2007.jpg

With next week off work and no particular plans, I'd like to at least get the model to a point where I can finish the gear bays, including all doors. That may be a touch ambitious but I'd like to get her finished before her second birthday. (October) :blink:

:cheers:

I've noticed you have a , for want of a better word, 'strange' way of putting your model together.

It looks as if you prefer to totally complete each sub assembly (i.e. painting, decaling & finishing) before glueing together...is there any purticular reason for this?

Only wheels need to be loaded, now it looks like the plane is feather-light. And the real one is a heavy one

Hi markojeras, thanks for the comments, you have highlighted the main problem with rubber tyres on models.........how to add "weight" to them.

I have been giving some considerable thought on how to acheive a satisfactory look. I agree with what you say. The tyres do, indeed, need some flattening.

In the photo below I hope you can see a certain amount of "ballooning" at position #4 (circled in red)

Kif_2018.jpg

This is a first attempt at adapting a technique I used on another model. In the previous instance I removed material from the inside of the tyre until the weight of the model caused the tyres to bulge realistically.

With the Trumpeter tyres I'm having less success. The tyre compound seems "stiffer" somehow.

On the tyres above I've experimented with a shaped plug inserted inside the tyre to make the side walls bulge. It does n't look great at the moment but it does have possibilities. Hopefully, using a combination of these two techniques, I'll be able to give the model a more realistic stance. :D

As for the rest of the photo, #1 are the MLG front door rams supplied with the Aires wheel bay set. (The rear door rams will need some modification to the kit parts or completely scratch building.) I've replaced the resin ram with stainless steel tube.

#2 is the box and hose which only appears on the port side.

#3 are the door catch mechanisms. These items are quite prominent on the actual wheel bay doors but don't appear on the kit.

I've noticed you have a , for want of a better word, 'strange' way of putting your model together.

It looks as if you prefer to totally complete each sub assembly (i.e. painting, decaling & finishing) before glueing together...is there any purticular reason for this?

Hiya little blue dude :) You've got a good point PapaSmurf630. I don't really know how to explain my approach. It seemed like a good idea at the time but, in truth, I think it is a more difficult method and not necessarily one I'll repeat. Part of it is to do with a lack of an airbrush. Whizz cans send paint everywhere! Another reason is the size of the beast. Sub-assemblies seemed logical. In future I'll try to build the aircraft completely before I paint. That way I can fill and prepare the gaps. (This is likely to be the area that lets my model down most.)

Thirdly...impatience. I just could n't wait to see what it was going to look like :lol: . Bad, bad, BAD!

Still, you live and learn. This whole build has managed to teach me an enomous amount. Now, the key is to remember the good stuff and apply it to future builds :cheers:

I hope that answers your question mate.

;)

Well for the more major assemblies, I guess very localised filling+sanding would mean less of a clean up afterwards..you'd just have to be purticularly careful.

You're right about the spray cans, they can be a little ott sometimes, have you tried decanting them and brushing with them instead (I doubt this would work though :cheers: )

If you can see anything I've forgotten, please let me know..........

Yes - it should say '1030 x 350 Model Beskamernaya' (Tubeless) on the tire wall. (I have the photos) :cheers:

It also needs a single red creep mark on the rim and a valve.............

Well - you did ask !!! :cheers:

Seriously though, awesome work Guy - when are we going to see the finished product ???

Cheers

Ken

PS - Did you get the photo I sent ?? I don't know if it got through to your server?

The only thing I can say is that looking at these pictures of the landing gears one can honestly not tell if it´s the real thing or not! IMPRESSIVE!

But (...there is always a "but"...) you should really get those tires to bulge under the (virtual) weight of the airplane.

/Kristian

And I come home from work to find this!! It looks amazing. I can well understand why you bite the project off in sort of mini projects.

As a matter of interest, as I contemplate my own efforts, how did you manage to get the hydraulic pipes to link up from the rear undercarraige leg bay area to the main wheel bay? Mine keep looking decidedly leaky in comparison.

Cheers,

Mickey

................... have you tried decanting them and brushing with them instead (I doubt this would work though)

I would n't know where to start PapaSmurf630 ;) . I fully intend to get an airbrush soon so I won't need to rely on rattle cans much longer I hope

How tiny are your fingers?

Heh, heh......To give you an idea, hand span from the end of my thumb to the end of my little finger is about 9.25ins (23.5cms). Remember,.....tweezers are your friend ;)

Yes - it should say '1030 x 350 Model Beskamernaya' (Tubeless) on the tire wall

;)

I'm working on it Ken,........NOT

Yep, that little detail would be lovely to add but I think I'll pass. Too bad Trumpeter did n't mold it on already, the way Tamiya did on the F-15E.

The only thing I can say is that looking at these pictures of the landing gears one can honestly not tell if it´s the real thing or not! IMPRESSIVE!

But (...there is always a "but"...) you should really get those tires to bulge under the (virtual) weight of the airplane.

Thank you for your kind comments KR176. I hear you on the tyre war......the "battle of the bulge" rages on!

I think I need to refine the plug somewhat but the idea is there.

I just read from page 1 to this last post

Jeepers Anthony, you did? Crikey, well done mate, I'm flattered. I hope you enjoyed it and who knows, maybe picked up an idea or two? Thanks for looking my friend. I admit, I'm looking forward to seeing this one complete.

Hey geedubelyer, mind givng me a ride in that thing once you finish it?

Heh, heh.......sure dreammh. We'll have to arrange a time to suit you but I should warn you that my secret "SHRINKO-RAY" can have unwanted side effects. The last fella I tried it on complained that one bit of his anatomy had n't returned to the normal size. :yahoo: (Personally, I think he was using the SHRINKO-RAY as an excuse, if you know what I mean!))

As a matter of interest, as I contemplate my own efforts, how did you manage to get the hydraulic pipes to link up from the rear undercarraige leg bay area to the main wheel bay? Mine keep looking decidedly leaky in comparison.

Hi mickey, glad to help. It's all done with smoke and mirrors. (They don't actually join). I finished the pipes from the rear of the bay as they go forward, behind the gear leg. The same for the forward portion of the pipework as they feed rearward. The "join" is hidden behind the gear leg and just gives the illusion of being continuous. HTH

PHEW! I'm over-whelmed. Thanks for your enthusiasm guys, I really appreciate all of the kind comments and advice.

Edited by geedubelyer