Trumpeter 1/32nd Su-27

Just wondering, is the FOD cover totally removable on the real thing? I've seen some intake photos and there appears to be no FOD cover in the entire tunnel.

I take it you mean the anti-FOD mesh screen ???

su-27-mesh_01.jpg

It sits along the bottom of the intake duct when stowed (open) - so you can't see it from a distance - you can see right down the intake.

There is also a separate FOD cover - the red-painted blanking plate that is fitted when the aircraft is parked....

su-30mkk_21.jpg

Ken

Yes, I meant the screen. So when the plane is operational, the screen still sits on the tunnel floor?

Yes - it is only in the raised position when the engine is running and there is weight on the main wheels - in other words, when it starts up and taxies.

In flight - as soon as the wheels leave the ground - the mesh grille folds down along the bottom of the intake trunk leaving the intake 'open'.

AFAIK, the system can be 'overridden' - which is how you can see (and photograph) it in the 'up' (raised) position with the engine off.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Can I know what color you painted the intakes eventually? Was it some kind of yellow-silver?

Absolutely!!

The intakes are attached now......... ^_^

Here's how they look:

Kif_1665.jpg

Kif_1666.jpg

I could n't resist adding a little weathering (#1, below)

These marks are left when the intake covers are removed.......

Kif_1667.jpg

I'll have to work out how to disguise the slight line where the resin parts meet the Trumpeter parts.

Other than that they're nearly finished. Now I can add the remaining hoses and pipes and move on to joining the two fuselage halves together..... :)

:o

• 3 years later...