Trumpeter 1/32nd Su-27

The full sized article appear hugely complex and while the kit item builds into a fair representation, it is crying out for some detailing.

It looks like you answered the cry!!! :thumbsup:

I'm jealous, my struts are bare...Thanks for the inspiration! B)

B)

Thanks guys :cheers:

Your Flanker is a great inspiration skuki.

Had any chance to get to yours Chris?

It's great to read Zactomodels reviews. Everyone is rightly impressed by your work so I guess you're kinda busy eh? Remember though, all work and no play makes........well you know the rest. :wave:

:(

Had any chance to get to yours Chris?

Remember though, all work and no play makes........

....Chris a bald guy! :wave:

No, I haven't had a chance to work on mine (unless you count the intakes!).

Fortunately, I have you and the others to watch building yours...It's not the same as building my own, but inspirational none the less... :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Man, your nosegear is looking fantastic and your burnercans too :worship:

hope to see much more of your great work :)

Did you had some work on the cockpit yet?

I am looking for a picture of the backside of the seat(launchrail) ho can help me out?

Hope to come around very often :)

Wasserfall :o

Hi Wasserfall, :wave:

Good to hear from you, thank you for the kind words. I've been admiring your build also. :D

I have n't attempted the cockpit area yet as I'm waiting to see what Neomega release. They promise it will be the most accurate pit yet! I'll wait and see. :blink:

From looking at other builds I favour the Aires set as an alternative but you've done a superb job on your cockpit. :thumbsup:

As for the burner cans, well, I'm eagerly awaiting the Aires set I ordered on Friday so watch this space...... ;)

I'm following yours and the other builds avidly as I am extremely impressed by everybodys skill and efforts.

Please keep up the good work. It is a real inspiration.

:)

I have n't attempted the cockpit area yet as I'm waiting to see what Neomega release. They promise it will be the most accurate pit yet! I'll wait and see. 

have they relaesed any preveiw pics yet? sounds amazing!

Nah....not yet.

Apparently the seat is to be released first and the guys have to convince their artisan to continue with the tub as he wants to fix the intake problems first!! :)

BTW Hawkhornet, nice avatar. :thumbsup:

:wave:

I got the Aires resin sets in the post today....... :woo:

I'm very impressed with the wheel well pieces, there seems to be every wire, pipe, hose and connector accounted for. I'm itching to get painting them right away.

I can't verify fit yet as I'm no where near that stage but I've checked reference pics and a little careful painting should bring these items to life..... :thumbsup:

The burner cans look good too, I've got them in undercoat already!! :lol:

The flame holder rings are very fine etched metal and are a huge improvement over the kit items. Anyone following this thread will already have seen my botched attempt at rectifying these parts and now Aires have done it for me ;)

I've built one so far and I have to tell you, they are very delicate and rather fiddly but the finished article appears worth the effort. I'll load up some images when I've painted them.

As for the nozzles, they are finely detailed inside and out but alas I fear they may not be wholly accurate....... :(

Use your own judgement but I think that the external petals may be just a little on the long side. (they are approx 2mm longer than the kit items) Using rule of thumb and nothing more, the proportions seem a tad off. The surface detailing is faultless though and don't get me wrong, I'm definately using them. On the inside of the burner can the central fan blades are molded but Aires has copied the Trumpeter cone and consequently it is still slightly the wrong shape. (Nothing a little gentle sanding won't cure)

That's all for today. I don't want to give the impression that I'm disappointed, far from it, but for anyone contemplating shelling out on these bad boys they deserve to hear all thoughts, good or bad, and then decide.

:cheers:

I just wanted to post a pic or two before they were buried deep in the bowels of the jet pipes.........

If you care to leap back to page#2 you'll be able to compare these new burner rings with my previous attempt. I'm in favour of the Aires set....... ;)

Kif_0392.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer
The flame holder rings are very fine etched metal and are a huge improvement over the kit items. Anyone following this thread will already have seen my botched attempt at rectifying these parts and now Aires have done it for me ;)

I've built one so far and I have to tell you, they are very delicate and rather fiddly but the finished article appears worth the effort. I'll load up some images when I've painted them.

Page 2 looked pretty nice to me!

Mine showed up in the mail today. They do look mighty nice, but that photo-etch pice looks like a nightmare to bend as nicely as you have done!

Any tips for us?

:lol:

....... They do look mighty nice, but that photo-etch pice looks like a nightmare to bend as nicely as you have done!

Any tips for us?

Hi Zactoman,

Thanks for the compliment. I have to say, these things are very intricate.

I can't offer any advice but I'll tell you how I did it and you can take it from there ;)

When I cut out the smallest and largest rings I left a tiny bit of the fret attached.(It goes without saying but take care and use a sharp blade, I bent the outermost ring without any effort as they are very thin.)

You can just about make it out at this scale in the attached image. These tiny lugs were used to locate each arm of the middle ring. To be honest, I ignored the thin spokes until the whole assembly was complete. (They are easily bent back to shape.)

For the middle ring with the arms attached I filed a small groove in a waste resin block and gently pressed each arm in turn into this shallow groove. With a bit of careful tweaking each arm bent into the required "V" section

I tacked an "arm" to one of the lugs on the smallest ring and then another on the opposite edge. I worked around the ring at opposites until all the lugs and arms were attached.

I repeated the procedure then for the larger, outermost ring, tacking each arm with superglue. Once I had the assembly complete it could be handled, all be it carefully, so that all of the thin spokes could be straightened and aligned........PHEW!! :blink:

A basecoat of black paint and on to the final finish. I really like the result as it saves me doing my own etch...(believe it or not I've already bought some etchant etc. and begun tentative designs on my computer!)

I hope my comments help with any of your builds, if I have n't covered anything, just ask...... :lol:

Kif_0391a.jpg

;)

Edited by geedubelyer

Just a peek down the tube......... ;)

Aires have modelled the layered effect of the full sized aircraft quite nicely. I think they may have used a similar method to the one I tried, i.e....strips of foil pressed into place and layered one over the other. (If you look hard enough you can spot the joins ;) )

I used a multitude of colours inside this portion of the tube but they don't show too well on these pics.. ;) .

Ah well.......they'll be deep inside the pipes anyway :rofl:

I hope you like them, more soon.......

Kif_0408.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer
If the burner cans are attached how much detail is still visible?

A very good question Wasserfall. It started me thinking. The Aires burner cans are indeed, very deep. In comparing them to pictures I feel that they are too deep and have elected to shorten them.

The pic below shows the inner petal assembly as it comes.......

Kif_0410.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

This second picture illustrates where most of the discrepancy occurs.

From looking at pics of the full sized aircraft these inner petals don't seem as long as Aires have modelled them.

:wave: I took my courage in both hands and hacked a chunk off!...... :D

This had the desired effect and shortened the overall length of the burner cans to what seems a better proportion.

N.B......By chopping this length off, some adjustment will be required to allow the tube containing the afterburner rings to fit. This tube is designed to fit over the lip on the inner petal assembly which you have just removed..... :blink:

The cure is simple, just file/sand a little off the tube and nestle it neatly inside the outer petal assembly. (pics later ;) )

Kif_0413.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

.....now while I was at it, I decided in my wisdom, to adjust the amount by which this inner petal assembly protrudes through the outer petal assembly.

During dry fitting, the inner petals poke out some 2-3mm which is just too much.

I wrapped a small hoop of plastic around the inner petal assembly which prevents it protruding as much.

BTW guys, this is my first attempt at "In-progress comentary and if it is too in depth or you think I ought to do things differently, please holler!.... :wave:

I don't want to bore you :D

Kif_0414.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

After all that I finally get to the answer to Wasserfalls question.

Now that I've adjusted the length the inner details are slightly more visible and IMHO the depth of the whole burner can looks to be closer to the full sized machine. I have n't checked any measurements as I don't have any but, I prefer the way it looks..... :wave: :D

Kif_0426.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

If you peep in the end of the burner can you can make out the afterburner rings which is good, especially after all of the effort you've put in to building them :wave:

(The full sized articles are pretty dark and deep too...... :D )

Kif_0421.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

Last pic for now, just to illustrate the side view and how far the inner petals protrude.

I hope you like the pics so far.

I'm onto the Aires wheel bays next and man do they look the business.

I'm very excited about how they'll look....I just hope I can do them justice.... :D :(

Fingers crossed............ ;)

(Hmmmm......can't do any modelling with my fingers crossed! I'll cross my toes instead :wave: )

Kif_0415.jpg

:blink:

Edited by geedubelyer