Trumpeter 1/32nd Su-27

Hello Guy

Looking good mate keep up the good work. The engine bay on me F-16 is painted entirely using Citadel paints, i like them loads. looking forwards to seeing more pic's of ya Su build.

The decorating is nearly finished so the 16's got some dirt coming it's way soon!!

Sav.

• 2 weeks later...

:D Hi all,

I told you that progress would be slow and I'm proving true to my word eh? :P

Here are a couple of pics of the cans with some paint applied.

I'm not too happy with the look of the innermost burner ring. :lol:

It's just not crisp enough for my liking. I'll probably try to re-do it.

Eng1a.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

What we need is some enterprising individual with etched metal experience, to organise a couple of replacement rings. A circle with eleven equally spaced nibs on the inner surface does n't sound too difficult to design....... :P

Here's a pic with the rings in place.....

Eng2a.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer
  • 1 month later...

:) Hello everybody,

A slight change of tack for these couple of pics. I've started the Eduard FOD guards so I've added a few pics with a comparison to the kit parts.

The Eduard parts look fine, if they fit o.k. in the kit intakes I'll be a happy bunny. :lol:

Eduard recommend making the hinge mechanism from a piece of round section, I just used a smaller diameter rod and added pieces of foil to represent the slightly thicker mounting points. (I'll shorten them to the correct length on final fitting ;) )

I hope this is of interest, now I've gotta find a way to make the ribs in the lower wall of the intakes. How much of this will be visible on the finished jet, only time will tell.

:banana:

Edited by geedubelyer

Wow! That looks so much better than the kit part! Excellent work! I know that Eduard photoetch can be fiddly sometimes. You must be really patient and have steady hands too :cheers:

I'll get to this kit after my CF-18, and a Tamiya Viper (about 2 years from now!) so I'm glad to watch you guys do an expert job and figure out all the quirks..makes it easier on all of us!

Outstanding work-great stuff! :wave:

Regards,

Pig

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the jet pipe.

This is the same image I posted on another thread in Jet Modelling so sorry if you've already seen it.

Anyhoo..........

I'm not particularly happy with the colours on this so I'll have to try again.

(Talk about hard to please :worship: ....)

:wave: Hiya everybody,

Well, I've been pottering about, kicking my heels, waiting for Neomega to bring out their cockpit tub so I can get started in earnest. Until then I'm tending to do bits 'n' pieces. :wacko:

This week, I are mostly doin' the wheels. ;)

The pic below is a "before" ..........

Kif_0335.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

.......and this one is an "after"! :wacko:

I've looked at reference pics and then at the kit tyres and to me, they seem a little "SQUARE".

Is it me? Ah well, too late now.... :wave:

Kif_0336.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

I'm also attempting to show a significant amount of wear to the tread as alot of pics show this on aircraft in service.

Below you can make out the start of this distressing on the nosewheel. (...sort of! :wacko: )

Kif_0329.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

O.K.,

The last one for now... :wave:

Not very sharp I'm afraid. (I'm still new to the camera... ;) )

The next task is to hollow out the sidewall rubber to allow the weight of the kit to "balloon" the tyres in the same way I did on my F-15.

I won't go overboard with this as I intend to model the aircraft "clean" so it would n't be too heavy.

Kif_0320.jpg

:wacko:

Edited by geedubelyer
I'm not particularly happy with the colours on this so I'll have to try again.........

I think I'll go more for these sort of colours on the jet pipes. :thumbsup:

Kif_0342.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer
The next task is to hollow out the sidewall rubber to allow the weight of the kit to "balloon" the tyres in the same way I did on my F-15.

What do you mean by this? You hollow out the wheels so the kit makes the lump around the bottom of the tyre??

What do you mean by this? You hollow out the wheels so the kit makes the lump around the bottom of the tyre??

You got it PapaSmurf630,

On a kit with plastic wheels and tyres you can gently heat the plastic until it is soft, apply some pressure to the top and "Hey Presto".... a bulged tyre to give the impression of weight. Some aftermarket resin manufacturers even produce this type of wheel/tyre.

This technique does n't work on rubber tyres so an alternative is needed. If you slowly and carefully remove some of the rubber inside the tyre the weight of the kit makes the sidewalls bulge, just like the real thing. (See pic) :worship:

A couple of words of caution though. This technique should be left until the model is pretty much complete so that you can guage how much material to remove.

Also, I'm not sure how the altered tyre will last or if it will perish over time so bare this in mind if you decide to try this technique.

(The tyre on the Sukhoi won't need as much material removing as they are inflated to a higher pressure and don't look to have as much of a bulge as the F-15)

Edited by geedubelyer
  • 3 weeks later...

Helloo everyone, . ;) ,

It's been a while but I have been doing little things. I decided to tackle the nosegear in anticipation of receiving the Aires wheel well set.

I can't believe how tall this nose gear leg assembly is...... :rofl:

It's a good 1.5 cm taller than the nose wheel of my 1/32nd scale Mudhen.

(I wonder if Flanker pilots suffer with nose bleeds from the altitude?... :crying: )

Kif_0357.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

The side cheeks on the mudguard are from Eduard but I added the FOD deflectors from scratch.

As Flankerman pointed out, the mudguard is a little flat but it's hard to do anything about that so thinning out the grilles was an easier mod.

Brake pipes and electrical cabling are made using wire and the lens reflectors are foil inside.

Kif_0354.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

I used foil foe the oleo with a touch of ink applied to suggest the oil residue.

The cross member at the top of the leg is loose so the assembly can be attached to the Aires set and of course, I can't affix the retractor assembly until the leg is on the aircraft. :rofl:

Finally, I shaped some metal rod for the mudguard attachments as I felt the kit items were too heavy...... ;)

I hope you like this installment, thanks for looking..........

Kif_0360.jpg

:crying:

Edited by geedubelyer