Trumpeter 1/32nd Su-27

REAL NICE WORK. I can see the burnner igniter to.  Your work looks like the photo in the Lockon  N17 book. What paint color did you use on it.   thanks

:D Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words, glad I can help. In answer to your question Vandy 1 vx4, I painted the whole assembly black to start with. This is a trick I picked up from Games Workshop. I predominantly use Citadel paints, an acrylic paint available through Games Workshop stores. I applied a light cream colour (bleached bone for those that know...) to the inner and outermost rings and then drybrushed a little gunmetal on the edges. Some grey and brown pastel dusted over the paint in gives the burner rings a nice heated appearance.

For the central cone I started with black again and dry-brushed progressively lighter shades of grey toward the tip. I added a little pink to the mix for the final drybrush which gives the hot look :monkeydance:

Hope this helps.........

Only where to order im Europe??

Wasserfall, I got my Aires sets from Hannants in U.K. I think they do an overseas mail order service.

Try here: http://www.hannants.co.uk/

B)

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi Vandy 1 vx4 B) ,

The exterior of the burner cans were hand painted with Mr Colour metalisers. I used Dark Iron for the petals and Iron for the second layer . Once buffed up the petals were given a coat of raw umber oil paint to give a brownish hue and again I used blue oil paint on the second stage as these parts look very blue from pics I've seen.... :D

The insides of the burner cans were painted using the Citadel paints again, and weathering was applied using ink and oil paint washes, blues and red to make the petals look a little heat treated.

Also, a little pastel chalk which gives the same powdery finish seen on these parts.

:monkeydance:

Hi guys,

It's me again. Thank you for your kind words, I can't tell you how encouraging it is.

Not too much to show this time but I know some of you are considering the Aires wheel bay sets so thought you might find a quick pic useful.

I've still got a lot left to do on this nose gear bay but you can get an impression of what it's like with a bit of paint on it.

I used a cream colour similar to the aircraft depicted in the Verlinden Lock-On title. The Aircraft on Epozar.com has grey wheel wells and I considered this but the actuators are a greyish blue and I figured that the cream colour would give a better contrast, it's as simple as that..... :worship:

It's amazing how close-up photography shows up the flaws in my work :cheers: , this looks o.k. in real size.........honest B) .

The script on the blueish box is cyrillic but i know it is not accurate, I took it from the kits decal sheet and I guess it actually bares no relation to where I've applied it but it does have the correct size and proportions :P

The mesh on the box at top left in the pic is cut from the Eduard etch fret and glued in place as the Aires set is smooth here and some reference pics show a grill/mesh to the front of this component.

I'll add more when there's more to add

Kif_0429.jpg

:worship:

Edited by geedubelyer

O.K,....so one side painted....... ;)

I've learned a valuable lesson painting this part. The acrylic paint I'm using does n't cover well over larger areas. You can see the brush streaks over the roof of the wheel bay. I'm going to have to do something differently for the main gear bays.. :D

I'll persevere with this one but it's not how I'd like it ideally... :thumbsup:

Kif_0437a.jpg

:D

:huh:

Edited by geedubelyer

I think the mounting point is a direct copy of the kit part (Zacto, take note :D ) but with the addition of the two pipes that follow the length of the gear leg. Since I have added these pipes to my gear leg using wire I removed them from the resin piece and fitted my wire around the part.( See pics in a minute.......)

After dry fitting the Aires resin into the kit underside I found it fits the opening but sits flush on top of the kit plastic :worship: .

With this in mind, I removed the edge of the kit part to allow the resin to sit level with the mouth of the opening, this way, none of the kit plastic remains visible and the wheel well is located correctly and sits where it should. There is no mention of this in the Aires instructions, it just looks more like the actual aircraft. B)

The arrows show where the plastic was shaved off. By coincidence, the resin wheel bay has slightly angled edges and after a little flattening they mate up well. :D

Kif_0445.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

O.K.....

Just a couple more pics for this update. :worship:

These last two show the gear leg attached.........not glued yet :D

p.s. The slight hump in the centre of the bay, just behind the recess for the gear leg locking mechanism, is scratch built from shaped resin and does n't appear on the Aires set. Some walkaround pics show this raised lump, others don't. I like the scratch on it so i decided to put one on my kit :D

Kif_0446.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer
Last pic then.........thanks for looking, I'm going to drool over Wasserfalls "Bang seat" on his latest update...... :lol:

:cheers:

Well... i'm drooling on your gearwell :lol:

Excelent work :cheers:

Seems we are raising the bar for each other ;)

Chears

Just so neither of you slobber on my intakes until after they are molded and casted! :blink:

Looking great Geedubelyer!

Looks like you fixed your gear-well paint problem nicely.

It's starting to look Very real!

:thumbsup:

Just so neither of you slobber on my intakes until after they are molded and casted! :lol:

B)

:rofl:

I guess we've all got this mutual appreciation society going on! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your encouragement guys. I don't know about the rest of you but I am always amazed by the standard of other peoples work here on ARC. It sure takes some living up to. :thumbsup:

:blink:

This week sees me working on the Aires main gear bays. What a buzz..... :lol:

The detail is superb and I've done my best to bring the pipework out but my eyes are n't what they used to be and some of the detail is minute. :rofl:

If you are thinking of getting these items you won't be disappointed :rolleyes:

(I just hope I can make them fit the Zactoman corrected intakes when they become available.......)

Oh......My eldest informs me that the BBQ's ready so I'm off for some grub,.....back in a bit with a couple of closer pics :worship:

Kif_0470.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer
(I just hope I can make them fit the Zactoman corrected intakes when they become available.......)

More wows from me!!! :rolleyes:

Copy/pasted from the big thread:

do the aires wheelbays still fit if you use your new intakes?

I don't know I don't have the Aires set. I think so though, looking at pics of the Aires set. My kit will work with the kit wells with no modification. Not the scooped part that is integral with the top of the intake though...

I am also planning to include the small electrical boxes located under the conical fairing facing the left gear-well (another great Epozar shot...) , it appears that Aires includes one of these boxes on thier set, you can pick and choose between mine and thiers and make it work I guess...

:worship:

Ah, that's better....... :bobby:

A warm summer evening with cloudless blue skies, what could be better. Not such a big deal for some of you I guess but a very big event here in the U.K. :cop:

Hi Zactoman,

Good to hear from you. I imagine that the Aires will fit with your modified intakes as they fit well with the dished/rounded portion of the Trumpeter intakes.(I'll make them have it one way or another :nanner: )How goes the progress on the intakes?

I've still to add the main yellow pipe which is supplied as a separate part and an actuator to this wheel well. I love the look of the wheel bays on these jets, lots of colours and contrasts. More interesting than the white offerings on other types from a modelling perspective.

O.K. then........a couple of closer shots as promised.

Kif_0461a.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

I think I'm going to have to use a tripod for these close up shots, my hands are obviously not steady enough...... :bobby:

Apologies if the shots are n't quite sharp, I'll try harder for next time. :cop::nanner:

Kif_0460a.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer