Looks very good Jim, I especially like the in flight presentation. Looks like you swapped the tails out for the Hasegawa items, or copies anyway?

How tough was closing up the landing gear wells? It looks like your turned out very smooth, but I can't imagine it was easy...

congratulations,

-Jared

Looks like you swapped the tails out for the Hasegawa items, or copies anyway?

How tough was closing up the landing gear wells? It looks like your turned out very smooth, but I can't imagine it was easy..

I also posted these photos over at the "Critique Corner" and listed this about what I did on the kit:

"Interior: Aftermarket cockpit added, Pilots with Russian style helmets added, HUD added

Exterior: Incorrect vertical stabilizers replaced with ones from Hasegawa, small fillets added to front where wing joins the fuselage, metal pitot tube added, AOA vanes added, burned can detail added, correct centerline pylons fashioned, kit R-73 and Kh-29L weapons replaced, clear seeker lens added to appropriate weapons, weapon exhaust drilled out, kit refueling probe and door replaced"

As for the gear doors, yes that was one of the hardest parts to the build, they just did not count on you building this bird gear up, really terrible fit all the way around, a LOT of putty work to get everything smoothed out.

Regards

Jim Barr

Like i said in the other topic.

GREAT MODEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It really comes alife because of those pilots!

Where are they from?

The detail of the bird and the paint job is marvelous.

I LIKE IT

Joachim

It really comes alife because of those pilots!  Where are they from?

In regards to the pilots, they came from the Fujimi MIG-21; these are great as they have separate heads and arms so I can give each pilot a different "look". The hardest part is the helmet, it has to be modified somewhat but the killer is the five holes across the top that is typical of Russian flight helmets, the solution was to use Walden’s sub-miniature punch set to punch out five dots from a black decal so I can get them spaced and aligned across the helmet.

Regards

Jim Barr

The weapons came in the box?

Yes the weapons load out is what is included in the kit. As stated above I did replace the kit R-73 and Kh-29L weapons with ones from the old DML Soviet Weapons set as I felt they were more accurate.

Regards

Jim Barr

This is the first model of Su-34 with #45 that I've seen so far with convincing looking camouflage. Great job on capturing those elusive colors, which look blue on some photos and green on the others! :thumbsup: This chameleonic feature was one of the main reasons that I've decided to build my Su-34 as a #42 with different camo.

Thanks for listing your modifications, I will pay heed to some of them myself. :lol:

The only thingy that bothers my eye are weapon pylons for R-77s and Kh-29s. I'm not saying they're wrong, it's just that I haven't seen such on any Su-34 picture. Need to do some more research on that.

And the pilots rock. They're just like on the box cover. :)

Excellent work.

The only thingy that bothers my eye are weapon pylons for R-77s and Kh-29s.

There are pictures of these pylon and weapons in both the CY-34 book by Polygon and the Su-27 book by Air Fleet, and some magazine clippings I have collected through the years, although to be honest in the Su-27 book the picture caption mentioned it's the Prototype Su-34, but then so far they have all been prototypes of some form or another I do believe, I can not read the caption in the CY-34 book. I did White 45 because I liked the colors of the camo scheme and had enough pictures of it to figure out the pattern, plus I had seen the actual bird at Farnborough, and in that time frame they were still prototypes, I am sure when they do go production and operational, both the camo and the weapons pylons will have changed.

Regards

Jim Barr

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i thought the end of the tail should be in grey color as well?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "end of tail", if you are talking about the tip of the tail boom, it is gray on "46" but not on "45", what you have to remember is the Su-34 has undergone several number designations, Su-27IB, 32, 34 and several camo schemes during the many years it has been in development, #45 & 46 had very similar camo schemes at one time but there were some subtle differences, the tip of the boom, the color of the radome, and the shape of the anti-glare panel in front of the cockpit being just a few.

Regards

Jim Barr

• 2 weeks later...

A quality job that has spurred me on to start the SU-34 I bought some weeks ago. One thing though, can anyone tell me what the problem is with the tails? I hear people complaining about the Italeri 72nd versions` tails but I can`t see it, although with so many noticing I know that there must be errors in the kit.

Cheers

Ian

One thing though, can anyone tell me what the problem is with the tails?

From Flankerman's 'Flanker site':

"The vertical fins are completely incorrect, being the taller versions found on the Su-27UB and the prototype Su-34, the Su-27IB. The production Su-34 has reverted to the smaller ‘standard’ single-seat fins and discarded the ventral fins"

Regards

Jim Barr