awesome product alert

I just tried some of that new tamiya cement - it comes in a bottle.

that stuff is great!

I am a ******** ambroid user and will keep it for use with sheet plastic, but I

will be using this tamiya cement for kit parts - it's terrific stuff from what I have seen so far.

Anyway - thought I would share that.

:thumbsup:

Hey José,

actually it's the other stuff - with the orange cap. It's not the "extra thin", it's just thier "cement". After trying this regular stuff, I certainly would like to try that extra thin stuff as well.

--Frank

The cement in the green bottle, the thin cement (it is not really 'thin', but is very capillar) is very similar (if not identical) to MEK (methil-ethil-ketone).

The only difference I've noticed is price. MEK is 10 times cheaper (or more, depending on the country) than tamiya cement.

Raúl

I am a ******** ambroid user and will keep it for use with sheet plastic, but I

will be using this tamiya cement for kit parts - it's terrific stuff from what I have seen so far.

In what way is it better than Ambroid? I am also a big Ambroid fan.

Jose Lopez-Zeno

Does it make the paint go all gooey and non stickable? thats what the glue I used to use did, now i just use normal superglue :cheers:

oh yeah, who likes my new avitar :P

:cheers:

what is the price for this cement?

Edited by YoungAus

The true beauty of the Tamiya thin glue....(green cap)... is the brush. This brush holds piles of glue....but has an ultra thin tip.....making application easy and very accurate. The brush and bottle is worth the price in my opinion.....the brush is THAT good.

Steve B

ARC Night Shift

The cement in the green bottle, the thin cement (it is not really 'thin', but is very capillar) is very similar (if not identical) to MEK (methil-ethil-ketone).

The only difference I've noticed is price. MEK is 10 times cheaper (or more, depending on the country) than tamiya cement.

Raúl

I agree that Tamiya's Extra Fine Cement smells ( :worship: ) much like MEK, but they probably added something else to it... because if you spill MEK and Tamiya's on a plain styrene surface, MEK will mar the surface on a greater extent than Tamiya's cement .

GG

Does it make the paint go all gooey and non stickable? thats what the glue I used to use did, now i just use normal superglue :blink:

oh yeah, who likes my new avitar :P

what is the price for this cement?

I love it!! Looks like he's dancing :)

thats what the glue I used to use did, now i just use normal superglue

Rookie question:- can you use superglue to glue a model together? I've never thought of it, I just assumed you needed polystyrene cement for plastic kits. Is Ambroid a brand of superglue?

Yes, you can use superglue.

Ambroid is a "welding" type of liquid cement- the cement is strong enough to melt styrene. When applied to mating surfaces of two parts and slammed together, they form a bonder stronger than CA (superglue) or traditional tube cement. Biggest advantage is strength and speed- you can assemble faster with liquid cements like Ambroid, Tenax 7, MEK and the aforementioned Tamiya.

Only disadvantage is learning how to apply it. It can scar and mar parts if you're not careful.

But once you jump from tube glue to liquid cement and get the hang of it...it will be like an epiphany for your building skills.

I wouldn't use superglue for overall assembly -- it has no shear strength and dropping or bumping a model can cause it to come apart at the seams. Each glue has it's place.

The best part about Tamiya Extra-Thin is that it doesn't mar clear parts at all. It's my glue of choice for attaching windows and canopies.

If I can add to this. Revell Contacta liquid cement. I do not use this in place of my favourite Plastic Weld, but, it can be used to glue Etched parts to Plastic!!!!

So I no longer use Cyano for etched parts, I use the Contacta, fantastic, you can even glue steel to steel. Easy to apply, less messy than Cyano. And no more sticking my fingers together either.

:lol: