Well, got a couple of Hase kits in the paint barn (not too happy with 'em, so I may not enter them in the GB), but I started the RoG F-14D (includes Bounty Hunters and Felix the Cat markings) today, and I got the cockpit painted (kind of a minimum effort job, as the canopy will be closed), assembled, placed in the front fuselage, and the front fuselage halves put together. I also sprayed white on everything that needed white (gear bays, struts, etc.), got the intakes on and assembled and modified the wings so they could be pre-painted. Hopefully by the end of the week she'll be ready for markings.

I'm thinking of either backdating to a VF-102 "B" model (steal the proper seats, chinpod and whatever else I may need from a Hase sprue) or building it straight outta the box with the included Felix markings.

Since this is my first GB, I'm incredibly nervous, and want this thing to turn out perfectly. Even though I've got so much done so fast, I've been taking my time on it. For some reason this kit just seems to fall together.

Later on, I'll post a few pics so you guys can check it out!

:rolleyes::thumbsup:

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

OK here's a few pics. I have since decided that I'm going to leave it as a D and use the Tomcatters markings.

True Details NACES seats. I dunno, they just don't look like NACES seats to me...any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Got a question on the wings. They've got one more light coat of paint to go. After I finish that, Future them, etc. can I go ahead and put the decals on them before I put them in? As I mentioned in the first post, I modified them to Hase-type wings that slide in and out, no glue required. I was pleasantly surprised. They actually lock in place quite nicely.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123
thos two seams....those were one for the memory for me...thats why im scared to start my 1/48 hasegawa one

Now that I think about it I should've put the front Phoenix racks on, because then I wouldn't have had to go down in that groove to fill that bottom seam. :thumbsup:

Why is the front-to-rear joint such a b**ch on Tomcat kits? The two things I HATE the most about Tomcat kits are the intakes and that damn seam. 1/48th Hase main gear bays aren't my favorite either :thumbsup: .

Brian Plescia has a great article on how to build and detail 1/72 Hasegawa Tomcats. A lot of what he says also applies to the 1/48 kit.

Building the 1/72 Hasegawa Tomcat

How you put it together (Dry fit, Dry Fit, Dry fit then Dry Fit some more!!) is half the trick when building F-14s. (or any kit for that matter!!!!)

:)