Hey there,

i'm building victory 103 as in the yellowhammer sheet, and i was just wondering how to paint my pilots' helmets. are there any photos out there of the helmet designs, so it'll look more interesting instead of just plain old gray helmets?

in fact, any pics of this aircraft would be appreciated...

it's the one with secdef on the tails.. forgot the b/no..

TIA

The BuNo for the SECDEF bird is 161435.

CDR Williams is a good friend of mine, and he normally wore a yellow VF-103 helmet that he had specially made. Most of the helmets are white with the bones on the back and vagabonds on the sides. Also the call signs are in a "bones" motif on the back.

Brian Marbrey

Here's another on a different mission. Note the sparrow was deleted on the port wing station.

Photos were taken by Cpt Dana Potts forwarded to me via CDR Gary "Grip" Williams, who's name is on the front canopy spot.

Brian Marbrey

Edited by VF-103guy

I bought some Jolly Rogers helmets during the last months, so maybe I can post pictures if I find the time. I have a VF-84 HGU-33, a yellow (similar artwork, high reflective 3M tape job, how can we simulate that??? Maybe mix some silver???) VF-103 HGU-55/P and a current VF-103 HGU-68/P crewhelmet :cheers: Expensive hobby, but I love them!

István

Edited by I.Illes
oh darn! from the last pic of 161435 i can still see the 3 antennae on the spine.. i deleted the middle one already and replaced it with the gps bump.... ;)

No, you're fine. If you look closely at the pic, the "3rd antenae" is actually a part of the VF-2 tomcat's markings in the background.

Besides, I saw 161435 up close and there was/is no 3rd antenae, just the GPS dome.

Brian Marbrey

Thanks guys..

one more question:

from the photos brian posted, i can't seem to see the nose art of "kate's nickel". was it really there?

Kate's Nickel was probably the shortest lived nose art in naval aviation history, not to mention the most hated by the squadron. It was on 161435 for about 45 minutes, long enough to do an airborne change of command and then quickly removed.

Honestly, I thought it was pointless of Yellow Hammer to add that to the sheet, not to mention a little insulting to the Jolly Rogers.

Brian Marbrey

So I'm guessing you won't be modeling a big stack of Kate's Nickel birds for the squadron then?

No, already been through that show bird. Funny thing is, now the guys are wanting both the 60th ann. jet and the final cruise show bird.

Not that I mind, but a line jet would be nice to do once in a while.. :cheers: