Sopwith 2F1 Camel color?

I was just looking over my Eduard 2F1 Camel kit and noticed that they say to paint the Furious Camel in PC12. Now I have some familiarity with the PC10vs12 controversy and that sometimes they used one and sometimes the other and it's impossible to tell and etc., but what do you all think about this? I think painting it in red would be kinda cool, but would it be defensable?

Thanks!

Michael

I would say pretty likely for an RNAS 2F1 - not got my Dtaafiles to hand, but there exist Sopwith works drawings for the Triplane and Camel that indicate PC12 was used - the RNAS seem to have preferred it

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • 3 weeks later...

P.C. 12 was used as a base coat after 1917 to minimize the number of coats required, but P.C. 10 was nearly always the finish coat. The thin coats of P.C. 10 did show a blush of P.C. 12 when weathered, so you could use a shade somewhere in between or paint the red-brown first and apply a thin coat of dark chocolate brown.