I'm working on a model of Goring's D.III which is pretty much at the paint stage, but I'm a little stumped for the wing colours. So with all the recent research, cross-referencing for Meuthen matches and the like, what are generally regarded to be decent paint matches for mid-production Albatros Light Green, Dark Green, Red Brown and Light Blue?

Preferably in enamel. :bobby:

Enamels you say............

For the light blue, I would use an RLM 65 equivalent, and for the dark green RLM 71 - NOT saying these are in any way related, but they look close enough for my eye!!

Red brown - panzer red/brown is also pretty close; for the light green, ?????

Part of the fun is that there is little definitive information on these colours!!

'ming says

For the light blue, I would use an RLM 65 equivalent, and for the dark green RLM 71 - NOT saying these are in any way related, but they look close enough for my eye!!

Red brown - panzer red/brown is also pretty close; for the light green, ?????

I agree whole heartedly about the blue and brown, and with reservations (I think it'll look a bit dark) on the dark green

For the light green, which is supposedly like a mix of Brusnwick Green and white, most reputable profile artists are using something suspiciously like British interiro grey-green.

FWIW

Shane

Many moons ago I made up a data base in order to match colours used by various air forces to available enamel paints. This ranged from the obvious (Light Gull Grey) to the obscure (Luftsreitkrafte Rotbraun). It also concentrated on paints readily available to me in the UK.

Anyway, for the colours you're looking for, I'd suggest:

Rotbraun - Humbrol 160, Gunze H47, Revell 383

Dunkelgrun - Humbrol 30, Gunze H73, Xtracolor 241, Revell 83

Lichtgrun - Humbrol 90, Gunze H31

Lichtblau - any RLM 65

HTH,

Steve

Cheers.

So if one were to use acrylics instead, would that make life easier to find a decent colour match?

Mr Kit do the exact colours you ask about!

On Enamels, Xtracolor did the dark green and underside (X241 and 243), the red-brown would be X807 (I think!) and for the light green I'd go for either British Interior green or the light green from the Israeli F-16 scheme

Interesting stuff. Thanks guys.

On the subject of Interior Green, I was looking through some builds on the WWI site, and saw Bob Laskodi's very nice looking Albatros. He mentioned he used interior green, which looked pretty similar to my own mental picture of how it should look, but said that he thought it was 'wrong'. Odd. :banana: (so Bob, if you're lurking, what was wrong with it?)