2nd F-20 is German. This one will be fitted with a bigger wing as the crashes of both F-20s were related to its using the same wing as the F-5 leading to a higher wing loading

Wings have been taken from an F-18. My scenario is that Northrop uses the wings of its F-18L as a basis, as you can see the length at the wing root is a near perfect match :lol:

• 3 months later...

Well, did a little bit of work on this today after she'd been stuck on the shelf for a few months.

Scraped the bulges for the wing fold mechanism off. Cut of part of the inboard wing and glued a piece of plasticard between the upper and lower wing to slot into the groove in the fuselage for the kits wings.

LHS is modified wing, RHS unmodded.

Wings have been taken from an F-18. My scenario is that Northrop uses the wings of its F-18L as a basis, as you can see the length at the wing root is a near perfect match :cheers:

F-18L???? :touche:

What is this Mod you're doing exactly, Nev??

Take Care

I heard from a LM engineer on the What If boards that both F-20s that crashed were the result of high wing loading caused by using the F-5 wing on the heavier F-20. There was a proposal from Northrop for a bigger winged F-20, like maybe 10% bigger.

But I went a little bit crazy and decided to use an F-18 wing :D

I heard from a LM engineer on the What If boards that both F-20s that crashed were the result of high wing loading caused by using the F-5 wing on the heavier F-20.  There was a proposal from Northrop for a bigger winged F-20, like maybe 10% bigger.

But I went a little bit crazy and decided to use an F-18 wing :rofl:

Oh, Thanks Nev!!

However, I think that 10% is not really that much.... In fact, you could leave the wing just as it is....check out the Difference between a Super Hornet and a Hornet's wing, which is of 25%

HTH

Take Care

Edited by MaRiO FDZ
  • 2 weeks later...
need to get some filler now to fill those gaps - can you believe neither of my LHS's have any in stock? :thumbsup:

Looks REALLY funny with those big wings...

Keep us posted!

Take Care

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of a project I was thinking of...I was going to mount a fixed wing on a F-14 to do a "what if" replacement for the F-14 that isn't a superhornet. Now I can live through you and not have to go through the work! Interesting build. I'd use thick superglue to fill those gaps. Add a touch of accelerator, and instant filled seam.

Kozlok, there were several proposals for the F-14 that featured fixed wings, before they settled on the swing wings. There are photos of concept models in the big WAPJ book on the Tomcat.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...