• Y-Wing
    • A-Wing
    • B-Wing
    • Naboo Starfighter
    • Jedi Starfighter
    • TIE Fighter
    • TIE Interceptor
    • Vader's TIE

And, what's your second favorite? I will always have a primary passion for the X-Wing as for me it's the perfect mix of a multimission fighterbomber, but otherwise the A-Wing wins hands down with me. Seems like everybody else I know likes the Y or the B, but I'm firmly an A-fan. Without doubt.

But X-Wing is firmly #1 in my heart.

Well, for me the Y-Wing has always been the best in terms of looks and capabilities. This discussion seems a lot like an SW version of the Spitfire vs. Hurricane arguement from BoB where the Spits captured the public's attention but Hurricanes were still the most plentiful in the RAF at the time. A jet analogy might be that the Y-Wing is equivalent to an F-4E while the X-Wing would be like an F-15.

In terms of "flying" them, essentially I've done that already in the LucasArts combat sims (X-Wing, XW vs. TF and X-Wing Alliance). The Y-Wing has a more logical placement of firepower with the guns mounted in the nose. Granted an X-Wing has more lasers, but a big problem I've found with dogfights against TIEs is that a TIE can actually fly between all four shots without getting hit. A Y-Wing's cannons are spaced closer together, meaning both shots are liable to hit the target. The ion cannons are nice on a Y-Wing also because you can disable a target without necessarily killing it. That ion firepower and a slightly larger proton torpedo load gives the Y-Wing potentially more flexibility in combat then the X-Wing. Of course, I do think that Y-Wing ion cannons in the sims are a bit too powerful against Star Destroyers as it is far too easy to take one down this way once the shields are out. Biggest drawback with the Y-Wing is its speed, so it can be a magnet for fire. Manueverability also isn't as good as an X-Wing, but adequite.

Second favorite would be the X-Wing as it is an all around space superiority starfighter. It has excellent manueverability for its size, excellent firepower and it also looks good. The A-Wing is a great performer, but small and kind of dumpy looking to me (possible to dance around a Star Destroyer's guns without getting hit though). The B-Wing isn't really a starfighter anymore as it is a bit big and that gun on the center wing isn't very useable except against capitol ships.

Of the prequel designs, I haven't really seen a fighter I like that much. The ARC-170 might be the closest one I would consider, even if it is a bit big and we haven't seen it in the new film yet. Annikin's modified Starfighter from the first Clone Wars cartoon series I would say is probably among my favorites though (even if it is just a "one off" design).

Edited by Jay Chladek

Tie Interceptor all the way.

What a sweet looking little ship.

To my mind it's a lot like the P51 or the TA152.. a sleek purposeful, dedicated killer.

Y wings are like P47's, Typhoons or Hurricanes

X wing has a little of the P40 vibe going on for me, cool, but not cool enough

Vader's ride naaahhh, Vanilla Tie's are ok, but sort of like the difference between an early Bf109 and the Ta152..

Jeeeshhhh , you HAD to put that gawd awful Butt :cheers: UGLY naboo fighter in the list as well?

blech!

M

In terms of "flying" them, essentially I've done that already in the LucasArts combat sims (X-Wing, XW vs. TF and X-Wing Alliance). The Y-Wing has a more logical placement of firepower with the guns mounted in the nose. Granted an X-Wing has more lasers, but a big problem I've found with dogfights against TIEs is that a TIE can actually fly between all four shots without getting hit. A Y-Wing's cannons are spaced closer together, meaning both shots are liable to hit the target. The ion cannons are nice on a Y-Wing also because you can disable a target without necessarily killing it. That ion firepower and a slightly larger proton torpedo load gives the Y-Wing potentially more flexibility in combat then the X-Wing. Of course, I do think that Y-Wing ion cannons in the sims are a bit too powerful against Star Destroyers as it is far too easy to take one down this way once the shields are out. Biggest drawback with the Y-Wing is its speed, so it can be a magnet for fire. Manueverability also isn't as good as an X-Wing, but adequite.

If you have X-Wing Ship Editor v 5.0 for the X-Wing game then speed, firepower and shield strength aren't a problem as the program lets up modify your craft. :D

Jari

and she makes 0.5 past light speed!

Me?

I still love the X-wing, the classic Star Wars fighter. Jay is right on the money with his Battle of Britain anology, the X-wing is the Spitfire and the Y-wing, the Hurrican. Both lethal spacecraft in the hands of experience pilots and a correct mix of both these aircraft really makes a formidable strike force.

For shear speed, the A-wing wins the race.

:D

MikeJ

Jeeeshhhh , you HAD to put that gawd awful Butt :D UGLY naboo fighter in the list as well?

blech!

*sigh* I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW....we share the same thoughts of it. But hey...I figured to be fair I had to include all the fighters whether I thought they'd be popular or not...kind of like having to put an independent candidate on the presidential ballot....lol Besides...you KNOW there's got to be one guy out there who wonders what all the dislike for the thing is. We've all been there. Had to be fair.

Originally I was going to make it only a choice of the four Rebel fighters, but then I decided at the last minute to expand it to all the fighters. Left off the Snowspeeder now that I think about it, but hey....STARfighters, then.

A jet analogy might be that the Y-Wing is equivalent to an F-4E while the X-Wing would be like an F-15.

I've found myself wondering all that as well....trying to figure out which US planes would be good comparissons. I too had the Y-Wing figured as an F-4, but had the X-Wing more like an F-14 Bombcat. B-Wing would be the A-10 in an Air-to-Air role, as the B-wing's design if I recall was being able to take on capital ships, so mega firepower in a relatively small package. Then the A-Wing would be like a Mach-2+ F-16....small, incredible maneuverability and acceleration.

I'm sure there are other comparrisons out there....maybe a WW2 one, with the B-Wing equivilant being the Il-2 Shturmovik?

B Wing! i used to ram TIEs with it instead of using my guns. Until i realised i don't get points for ramming kills. Better speed, shield and agility than the Y (2nd choice) and huge numbers of torps. Strangely having guns scattered over its wingtips, foot and pilot pod didn't affect its gunnery as much as the X Wing's 'miss with every 4 shots' wingtip position. Yeah the games were called 'X WIng' but i hated flying them.

There was another more recent game featuring the Naboo N-1, Darth Maul's ship and a few other unknowns. Comparison is meaningless however, the game lacked the energy balancing tactics of X-Wing and torps were unlimited-they recharge. i'm also pretty suspicious of whether DM's ship counts as a 'fighter', it seems to be the size of the Falcon

I love the "Darth Vader" style TIE fighter (does it have any other designation?). It's more substantial than the standard version, and it can fly circles around most of those flying bricks the rebels use.... then again, it's the PILOT that makes the difference!

I love the "Darth Vader" style TIE fighter (does it have any other designation?).

Tie Advanced X1

I vote for that one too. Not a surprise for the Dark Lord Of The Bears... :bobby:

I remembers years ago, when I was a little Teddy Bear, purchasing the AMT Kit...That was the only Tie plastic kit for two decades (from 1977 to 1997)...

I hope Fine Molds will make one...

Grizzly

Edited by Grizzly

Where's the SNOW SPEEDER????

I picked the TIE Interceptor cuz it just looks cool...

but if I were to pick one vehicle for my ride... definitely the Speeder Bike (the one that those Imperial Scout troopers and young Anakin rode on)...

Where's the SNOW SPEEDER????

I picked the TIE Interceptor cuz it just looks cool...

but if I were to pick one vehicle for my ride... definitely the Speeder Bike (the one that those Imperial Scout troopers and young Anakin rode on)...

WEEELLLLLL.....I was really thinking starfighters, stuff that could go head to head with each other. Every craft listed could forseeably find itself in the same environment.

Well, if you want Snowspeeders, then vote for the Y-Wing as the original design of the Snowspeeder was that it was essentially the nose section of the 2 man Y-Wing that was long past its combat prime converted to use as a combat airspeeder. What they ended up with in ESB looked different, but the RPG stats say its supposed to still be the case with the systems the rebels used to operate the thing.

This is still the king of SW fighters in my mind. :thumbsup:

Well, if you want Snowspeeders, then vote for the Y-Wing as the original design of the Snowspeeder was that it was essentially the nose section of the 2 man Y-Wing that was long past its combat prime converted to use as a combat airspeeder. What they ended up with in ESB looked different, but the RPG stats say its supposed to still be the case with the systems the rebels used to operate the thing.

This is still the king of SW fighters in my mind. :thumbsup:

Yeah, according to the ESB sketchbook, where they show how all the designs progressed and show various ideas which made it and others that didn't make it, there are several snowspeeder ideas blatantly showing a Y-Wing cockpit with side cannon and other goodies thrown on...nice theory and principle, but in my opinion it also failed to look like a very effective machine.

Tie Interceptor all the way.

What a sweet looking little ship.

To my mind it's a lot like the P51 or the TA152.. a sleek purposeful, dedicated killer.

Y wings are like P47's, Typhoons or Hurricanes

X wing has a little of the P40 vibe going on for me, cool, but not cool enough

Vader's ride naaahhh, Vanilla Tie's are ok, but sort of like the difference between an early Bf109 and the Ta152..

Yeah i agree on the tie interceptor... its sleek, and deadly looking. those four guns on the wing tips look lethal. I love the comparison with the TA152 (one of my fav WWII fighters).

next would be the x wing...

Okay, I really don't know what you guys see in the TIE Interceptor. :bobby: I took one for a spin in my TIE Fighter sim last night and although had a few good runs with it, the thing was easy prey when you had 5 or 6 rebel fighters on your rear. The thing takes damage way too easy!

Okay, yes it does look good for a TIE, but looks aren't everything as a TIE Interceptor has the armor plating of an A6M3 Zero it seems. It blows up really nice though as you see it spinning off into oblivion with both wings sheering off in the process and forming their own nice little corkscrews. :wave:

:thumbsup:

Granted an X-Wing has more lasers, but a big problem I've found with dogfights against TIEs is that a TIE can actually fly between all four shots without getting hit. A Y-Wing's cannons are spaced closer together, meaning both shots are liable to hit the target.

Yeah, I noticed that too -- but this is fixed in "X-Wing Alliance" where you can set the guns to automatically converge on the target. This feature is available on the newer fighters (I think it's automatic, actually). Older ones like the Z-95 either don't converge, or have to be set to converge at fixed distances.

-cpk

(Still unable to beat the last mission on "X-Wing Alliance", where you fly into the Death Star...)