Lovin' that Google satellite imagry

Check out the flightline at Nellis AFB (Nellis AFB, Nv) I swear those are F-111's near the south -west end of the ramp. Aussies at Red Flag? Also, there are some sand/brown camo jets farther down and I'm wondering if they might be French. Cant get a grasp on the outline.

This google site could start its own discussion group!!!!

Matt Driesenga

I noticed that about Nellis. I was thinking the same about Red Flag, since there are so many fighters, A-10s in the live ordnance loading area, Bones, tankers, etc... You can also see F-16 aggressors on the north ramp.

While Groom Lake is low-res, to the northwest Tonopah Test Range can be seen in full-resolution. Also in the area are two dummy airfields as part of the Nellis range. Ohh yeah, just west of Groom, on the other side of the ridge, are a bunch of craters from nuclear tests.

I just found something pretty awesome in Atlanta.

Zoom to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, and check out runway 8R.

There's a plane taking off, and if you pan west to east, you can see it gradually gaining altitude and banking to the north. Apparently, the satellite was moving at approximately the same speed, relative to the ground, as the plane. I count five shots total with the plane in view.

I also love AMARC in this thing.

Downtown Dallas imagery is from around '02-'03 - you can see the new boondoggle - err, sports arena under construction.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that, after ortho-rectifying, photos taken from different slant angles play tricks on your eyes. There was one spot in downtown Dallas where I could see the west face of one building, but the build next to it showed the east side.... it was like looking at an Escher print!!!

So many cool little details...

There was a 49ers game the day the image of their stadium was taken.

Soldier Field was still under construction, so the Chicago lakefront shots are from ~2002.

WOW...I could spend hours on that. In case anyone cares the lubbock pic is from 01/02. Nothing good to see there. I think the Austin Texas picture is from about a year and a half ago.

Mike

:cheers:

You can check out Anchorage, Alaska - Elmendorf AFB - the two F-15Cs squadrons on their respective ramps and the C-130s and F-15Es on the north and northeastern side of base... don't see the E-3 AWACS... you can also check out Anchorage Int Aiport... southside has the ANG C-130s and HH-60s.. plus all your various airliners.

• 1 year later...

I have saved a couple pictures I have found using Google Earth, and since I have found this forum, I feel obligated to share my pictures from Google Earth with you....

These first three Pictures are of various parts of Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas Nevada...

base3.jpg

base2.jpg

base1.jpg

The next picture is taken from Google Earth and it consists of the subdivision I live in, and if you look closely at my house, which is circled to show my house, if you look closely in the backyard by the house you can see my hot tub....

Myhouse.jpg

Now for all you conspiracy addicts and military nuts, The almighty AREA 51, I found the location on Google Earth and figured I had to save the pictures

map1.jpg

map2.jpg

map3.jpg

map4.jpg

map5.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed all the pictures and just be happy you couldn't see me in the hot tub..mwahaha

map6.jpg

Here is a good tip.

On the left side of the google earth interface is a long list of folders. Double click on google earth community. There will be another list, one of which is Military. Click on it. Now when you zoom around you will see little icons where other google earth users have flagged various military sites. Click on the icons and sometimes a brief user forum will appear where users discuss these sites.

North Korea has a lot of new coverage. Check out each air and naval base, there is always somekind of underground facility nearby. Taiwan does too.