Revell 1:72 EH-101 Merlin HM.1 mod kit# 04410

Tim, i'm currently building this kit now, but converting it to a Italian prototype! up dates Revell have made are new aerials, mirrors,weapons and better detail on rear fuselarge. overall its alot better. Decal sheet includes the tiger scheme and a standard Royal Navy version. Italeri are about to re-issue a kit which includes parts for Italian Navy version as well as Royal Navy. Any other info you need on the kit or real EH101's let me know, I've plenty of info and I'm on my 17th kit now!! :D

Also theres no covers for the blade roots, but nowadays some don't have them fitted anyway
The tension link fairings as they are called, are fitted to some aircraft and if you wish to model the 814sqn tiger striped aircraft offered on the decal sheet, you really should add them. The 824 sqn option does not have them fitted.

There have been some airframe changes made to the things since Revell released their updated model kit, they do not take that much effort to add, but no doubt "mer" can fill you in on these changes!!! Generally follow the kit instructions when kit comes colours and assembly. If you have any questions regarding the model please do ask me!

Yes "mer" I do work on the aircraft for a living. I think which ones and where is pretty much answered above.

In answer to your question Merlin101, the reason 69 has a grey nose cover is to continue the tiger scheme applied to this aircraft! I think it would look better if a tigers head or even a pair of menacing eyes were painted on the nose, like the 814 Sea King from several years ago. To make an up to date RN Merlin, one should add the last two numbers from the aircrafts squadron identifier to the nose - hence with this particular aircraft "269", the numbers "69" should be added to the nose in the same style and size as those applied to the side below the cockpit. They were added last year to enable plane crews to identify their cab when it was taxying in and have been applied to most RN Merlins. The numbers are centred on the nose between the metallic conducting strips fitted around the nose.

The ships flight Merlins have their ships crest applied below the cockpit windows just aft of the squadron identifier. Other than that, the fleet is rather boringly painted - what we need are some of those lovely big bold squadron emblems from the early Sea King days to liven things up a little!! :)

I understand anyones keen interest in a particular type or family of aircraft (for me it is Mirages and Rafales) but without saying too much, if you knew what we had to put up with on this aircraft, you may not be so enthusiastic about it!!! :D :thumbsup:

lol, i know the feeling, i work on Grob Tutors and even though they are'nt quite the same league as a merlin, they're a pain to work on! Anyway we're only building models here, thankfully! I noticed the numbers appearing lately, only seen one pic with badge on though, are there many? How's PP1 doing at Culdrose these days on the deck training area? I might make it in that scheme sometime, already done it in its original colours (and the other prototypes!) :thumbsup:

Those Merlins with ships badges on them belong to 829sqn, the ships flight squadron. Off the top of my head, the ships so far equipped with Merlin as ships flight are HMS Lancaster, Westminster, Monmouth. There may be more but they may be the only ones to be equipped - its too big and a pain in the a**e to support!! (Enough said!! :thumbsup: )

Occasionally, I see the heap of PP1 being motored around the dummy deck along with Wessex and Sea Kings and Harrier GR3. Quite often, your Grob Tutors visit and carry out loads of touch and goes as baby fliers cut their teeth so to speak! (Can I assume you work on 727sqn Grobs? It is 727sqn isn't it!!?? :) ) :D

Dear Pinky, Merlin (or anyone else),

Would you know if 269 was fitted with a SONAR when originally deployed off Iraq a couple of years ago? Also, from which ship was it operating? I'm assuming it was with 814 sqn.

What equipment is usually fitted in the back besides the dunking/dipping SONAR? Any kind of disposable SONAR buoy or flare/smoke launcher? What would 269 have carried in the back? Did it have weapons racks fitted? Any pictures of the rear compartment of a Merlin?

So many questions...

Regards

Drew

Hello Vflight,

The mission euipment fitted to a Merlin is of a quick change type - in other words, the equipment (Active Dipping Sonar, Sonobuoy dispensers, sonobuoy racks and troop seats) can be removed and installed in a short space of time. So whilst the Merlins deployed to Iraq would initially have had a standard ASW fit, they were frequently role changed to trooping role and vertrep roles. So to build your model with the Sonar in or seats in is correct!

269 did and does belong to 814sqn along with 267, 268 and 270. Because of the size and rather slow start up time of the Merlin, they are frequently deployed on Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) ships such as Fort George and Fort Victoria. HTH :rolleyes:

OK... I'm going to assume that there would not have been much use for the SONAR and they would not have been fitted to save space and weight. When the SONAR and reel unit has been removed is there just a circular plate fitted flush with the floor to cover the opening? I expect that everything below the floor (the well and 'bell mouth' opening) remain unaltered at all times?

yes, a small metal plate is fitted over the hole left when the ADS is removed. From the underside, the sonar well is still visible, only blanked at the top (where the floor of the cabin is). Hope this makes sense.

Yep, that will do nicely - thanks for the help.

another question for you pink....... any idea what the 'lump' is under rear window (both sides)? I noticed older airframes don't have it.

Having checked through several pictures to be sure I knew which lumps you meant, the lumps are for the fuel tank vent from number 4 fuel tank. The reason its raised up is due to the presence of the sponson, but don't know why it's bigger than the other fuel vent fairings? Will try to find out for you. The Merlins are receiving a fuel tank mod (nothing major) and so this could explain why older a/c don't have it yet. HTH <_<

sorry to say Dutchman, but thats a RAF merlin! same name but different role! Still, if your'e modelling one, Revell's kit is perfect i've used it for most of mine including this Danish one i've recently done :thumbsup: