I am just finishing up my first como aircraft and I used future before applying the decals and it worked great. My question is: what is the best product to use to get it back to a flat finish? I have sprayed enamels and acrylics but have never gone through this flat/gloss/flat process before.

I use Pollyscale acrylics for my clear coats and have never had trouble with them. The key I think is to mix the bottle completely, because you'll notice a white paste settling on the bottom. Shake it well, then airbrush it on in light coats. If you go too thick, the flat coat with turn chalky, having almost a white dust look to it.

I bought a big spray can of Krylon transparent gloss and one of satin finish. So far,I haven't had any trouble with either MM enamels or acrylics,as long as you let the paint dry for a week or so. They do fog canopies,though,so I leave off the 'glass' until after the dullcoat.Much cheaper than than testors or Tamiya brands. I think they are laquor based - the can doesn't really say.

I also bought a big can of 'Plasticote' - I could only find it in gloss,but it looks good and doesn't seem to attack anything. A much thinner finish than Future.I use it when the thicker Future might fill in panel lines,etc.

Just keeping on keeping on.

Jim

• 3 years later...

Hi all!

Is recommended to mix Future and Model Master Acryl Flat Clear to get a satin finish? I see the tip of Future + Tamiya, but is this the only option?

Can this MM flat clear be applied with the airbrush without thinning or does it need it?

Thanks

I'll join the list promoting Polly Scale Flat. I haven't found anything better on the market.

Me too - just ensure you stir the jar well (i use a small cocktail stick), else it can leave a white frosty stain if not well mixed (though I discovered you can eradicate this by applying Future over it then re-applying the flat clear when dry).. I dilute mine with distilled water after a thorough mixing & spray thru the airbrush.

You might as well use MM lacquers - that's what I've been using for a long while, and it works without any problems: use 60%-70% lacquer and 40% or 30% thinner, respectively. Just make sure you apply it after at least one day since your last coat of paint. Hope it helps :salute:

Me too - just ensure you stir the jar well (i use a small cocktail stick), else it can leave a white frosty stain if not well mixed (though I discovered you can eradicate this by applying Future over it then re-applying the flat clear when dry).. I dilute mine with distilled water after a thorough mixing & spray thru the airbrush.

Thommo

Precisely just how I prepare PS flat for application as well.

Stir and stir some more and you cannot really go wrong.

If it is thickly applied, sometimes the frosting appears as well, though so care is needed not to apply to thick a coat. I build the coats up lightly so it looks wet when first applied, then cures off pretty quickly.

:cheers:

Johno

I have a gut feeling that is laquer based?

I may well be wrong though :cheers:

spray that over enamel or acrylic and up bubbles the finish.

MikeJ

I would respectfully point out that a lot of us have thinned enamel paints with laquer thinner for years with out any problems. I've applied Dullcoat from spray cans, paint brush and airbrush without any problems between the two different types of coatings (as long as the base coat it completly dry). 99.9% of my problems with either enamel clear flats or laquer dullcoat finishes happens when I apply them when the humidity is 80 to 85% or higher. (surface turns white when it dries)

Hi all!

Is recommended to mix Future and Model Master Acryl Flat Clear to get a satin finish? I see the tip of Future + Tamiya, but is this the only option?

Can this MM flat clear be applied with the airbrush without thinning or does it need it?

Thanks

Whether MM clear flat needs to be thinned or not depends a lot on your airbrush and the consistency of the clear flat. If it appears to be thin enough as is, give it a try, else, thin it some first.

If it were me, I would not mix Future with MM acrylic flat to get a clear satin or semi-gloss, I would either use Future + Tamiya Flat Base or, more likely, just spray some semi-glass clear.

I also use Future+Tamiya FB. 30% in volume (with respect to the total volume) of FB gives a flat finish, the only problem is that it needs multiple coats, I mean a lot of coats (3 at least) anybody has found a way to overcome this?

ric