Favorite USS Enterprise

Guest DinoRich

Guest DinoRich

What's your favorite Enterprise design from Star Trek, all series and films included? Let's include other Star Trek starship designs as well. Comments on the available kits are welcome as well.

My personal favorite is the upgraded movie version, featured in the first six films. The flat, swept-back engine nacelles help give it a very sleek look, as does the slighty enlogated saucer section. And the torpedo launcher at the base of the connecting strut gives it a more aggressive feel as well, in addition to being a logical placement area (imo).

I was never really crazy about the Defiant from DS9. I understand the concept, basically a saucer section with everything attached to it, but to me it looked more clumsy than warlike. And did anyone ever notice for a ship that was intended to fight, rather than explore, half the ships systems go down after only a few hits?

The basic Klingon design (wing section with an extended boom out front) works great visually, with its interesting collection of angles, but one good hit to the neck or forward section and it's all over, folks.

God, I need a life... :rofl::rofl: :lol:

Edited by DinoRich

Yes, the uprated Constitution class ships from the "original" series moves is my favourite Starfleet ship, followed by the Sovereign Class ships from the last three movies.

Must admit, I love the Romulan warbirds, for a sheer presence, they look just the ticket!

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

In order of preference I like the Enterprise E from the last 3 films, the Enterprise A from films 1 to 7 and then the next gen Enterprise D.

One of my other favourite ships though has to be the Klingon bird of prey. One of my favourite scenes in any Star Trek film is where they de-cloak hovering over the whaling ship in the voyage home.

:cheers:

And did anyone ever notice for a ship that was intended to fight, rather than explore, half the ships systems go down after only a few hits?

Well given the alternatives offered by starfleet*, I'd say the Defiant sure held it's ground well. And that's when things DID go wrong. As I recall from the last two seasons of DS9, just about the only thing that could knock it out was that Breen death ray.

I think the Ambassador class (before they screwed it up by changing it) was one of the best designs the Trek people ever came up with. It was a marvelous compromise between TMP and TNG-era starship design that managed to supercede both (and if ebay is any indication, a lot of people agree with me :) :cheers:).

*90 years later and for all the punishment Khan dished out on poor Enterprise, the Miranda class is cannon fodder at best. Even so, it's still got a soft spot in my heart :cheers:

And for the hell of it, a list of everything else I like:

Excelsior

Akira

Sovereign

Galor

KBoP

Constellation

...and those pre-Federation Andorian ships are pretty sweet too.

Refit E hands down is the best for me. Reason being is it tweeked the classic design to make it look really stunning. I would say the classic E has a soft soft for me as well. Even though it didn't look so hot on the small screen due to the limitations of bluescreen filming at the time, it has so many neat features on it when you take a good close look at the details. Matt Jefferies put a lot of thought into that design and Richard Datin translated it well when he built the studio model for it.

Of the others, third place I would say has to go to the Enterprise D since it really took Trek design in a different direction in a revolutionary sense. Granted a lot of people refer to it as the cruise ship, but Probert whipped up an incredible design given Gene's requirements. It set the standard for TNG era ships and everything Starfleet since then (with the possible exception of the Defiant) has used elements of that design from the slit windows to the phaser strips. The Enterprise E is also a favorite, although I don't rank it quite as high since it looks more like a step back rather then forward in ship design, looking almost like an Excelsior class refit in the process.

The Enterprise D has a special place in my heart and the way they killed her off was appalling after all she had survived!

The Enterprise E is next (or the Tough "E" as I like to call her) followed by the Refit Constitution and Enterprise A.

C & B... forget them! And the NX.... don't start me on that...

Other ships... I love the USS Endeavour (Nebula Class) and the USS Thunderchild (Akira Class).

Edited by Jay Hornet Fan

My favorite is still the original Constitution class- It wasn't designed to "look" fast, but it still comes across as both realistic and futuristic. See a modern rendition of it in the DS-9 episode Tribbles and Tribulations.

The change in tech is interesting; with STTMP, starships lost the big rounded warp nacelles w/ the big red Bussard collectors, probably to conform to the "new" sleek, angular style influenced by Star Wars. When ST Next Generation hit the scene, the classic hardware returned, albiet in a larger form (the nacelle of the "D" is bigger than Kirk's entire ship!). In STTNG, it was always strange to see the '70's designs working alongside the much larger, modern ships.

The Enterprise D has a special place in my heart and the way they killed her off was appalling after all she had survived!

The demise of Enterprise D served to highlight her sound design, that put crew safety first. From the very beginning, all primary hulls (saucer sections) were built to land on class M planets if required to do so. The earlier, smaller ones even had landing gear!

The demise of Enterprise D served to highlight her sound design, that put crew safety first. From the very beginning, all primary hulls (saucer sections) were built to land on class M planets if required to do so. The earlier, smaller ones even had landing gear!

USS Voyager has landing gear.

:worship:

MikeJ

My favorite Enterprise design has to be the Sovereign. Followed by: (In order) Enterprise-A, Enterprise-D, Enterprise-B, Enterprise-C. I don't want to talk about the NX-01 Enterprise. That ship is butt ugly. :worship:

As far as other favorite ships: (Not necessarily in order.)

USS Prometheus

USS Akira

USS Defiant

USS Nebula

USS Excelsior

As far as alien ships:

Species 8472 Bio-ship. Any ship that can be immune to assimilation from the Borg AND destroy a Borg Cube with a few hits has got to be tops in my book. :worship:

Yeah, of ships that were not named Enterprise, the Prometheus from Voyager was indeed to coolest looking ship of the lot IMHO. Rick Sternbach whipped up an incredible design for that beauty and the multi-vector assault mode was awsome.

The Maquis raider from the first episode of "Voyager".

The Daedelus - I don't think it was ever shown on screen, but it was an early starship with a spherical primary hull.

The Dreadnought from the Franz Joseph designs. I don't care if it's non-canonical.

For canonical Enterprises, I like the refit Constitution version from the movies. By far the most nuts-and-bolts-ish of all the various Enterprises. After all, none of the others had visible panel lines or other surface detail.

1. Refit "Motion Picture" Enterprise

2. TOS Enterprise -simplistic, easy to airbrush color scheme and looks good in 18"!

3. Excelsior Class Enterprise

4. STNG Enterprise -absolutely a crime to give her only one outing on the big screen!

5. Fictional "Trans Warp" Federation ship in Voyager series designed to lure the Voyager crew into a Borg trap.