'Bare Metal' Scriber

I have just bought a scribing tool from the 'Bare Metal Foil' Manufacturer.

It seems to scribe really wide, almost 1mm or there abouts. Have I bought the right tool? Is it a technique thing? Do I have a faulty item? Are there different gauges of tool?

I dont think it is faulty, It could be me...

Thanks in advance for your help...

Some people don't like it and would rather use a needle in a pin vise. I use both. You may be pressing to hard, or taking to many swipes with it. For long straight lines, I like it because it "peels" the plastic rather than scratch with a pin vise. The groove is a little cleaner IMHO. Really it comes to a matter of preference.

It is possible i have done all of the things you said i should'nt. I will of course try it out a bit more. What about the 'olfa' plastic cutter, will this scribe a thinner line?

thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Hi,

I've got both the 'OLFA' and 'bare metal' scribers.

The BM scriber has a sort of chisel end on the end of a slender hook. The flat of the chisel is just under 0.5mm across the flat. This gives a bit of a trench type of scribe with very neat sides.

The OLFA scriber has a long 'V' blade, much like an ordinary knife blade. This gives me a grove that varies on how much preasure I apply to the tool.

I like the OLFA scriber best because I think that I get better lines, and I can actually dare use it - the BM scriber looks like it's going to break any moment.

Karl

Im gonna work on the bare metal scriber a bit more, see if my technique can be improved. I would have bought the olfa cutter, but at the time the BM scriber looked far sexier and as it was constructed by and for model makers, thats why i chose it.

Thanks to everyone, have a nice weekend!

You're right, TJ. The Bare Metal scriber does scribe a very wide groove. Your best bet is the Olfa cutter. As Karl mentioned before, the Olfa cutter cuts a "V" shape and therefore you can control the depth and width of the groove.

I personally use the Hasegawa Tritool scriber. Like the Olfa, it cuts a "V" shape groove. However, I find that it fits in my hand more comfortably better than the Olfa.

Tools for scribing

post-14-1111861601.jpg

I recently posted an "In Progrees" on the "Monogram F-105F Thud". All the panel lines were re-scribed. Please take a look and decide for yourself if the Tritool is for you. Hope this helps

Henry

Thanks for the picture Henry, The hassegawa tool certainly looks far more ergonomic, and I am also on the lookout for some flexible templates so I will look for a place to get these on the web. Nice one Pal! I'm going to look at your 'Thud' now.

Is there anywhere I can get an OLFA scriber????

You can't get them in Australia anymore, Or at least to my knowledge.

I had one - But it seems to have disappeared.

I am after a couple. Any ideas?

TIA

Guys, I've been using needle, BM and olfa but still I can't do round resribing with or without template, someone help me please .... :crying:

Jahja

jjuwana,

Try using a metal template and a needle in a pin vise, like the one pictured above. Carefully, start scratching the surface with the needle around the template, applying more pressure as you go along. I find it best to scribe in one direction then scribe the other direction. Take your time and don't rush it. Practice on a piece of sheet plastic. Soon enough, you'll get the hang of it.

Once you have the circle or square scribed out, sand the area with 600 grit sand paper. Then take the needle and carefully clean out the debris left inside your new scribed line.

Henry

Is there anywhere I can get an OLFA scriber????

Tamiya have the OLFA P-Cutter in their catalogue as a standard item, the Tamiya Scriber (IIRC). Any hobby shop that stocks Tamiya kits should be able to bring one in for you, as should any mail-order outfit that handles Tamiya.

If you are mail-ordering, HLJ is probably your best bet - they've got Tamiya's tools, Hasegawa's tools, and recently re-released Trimaster templates and scribing saws.