Anyone remember "Red Dawn"?

If this image is from RD, then they used modified Pumas.

RedDawn.jpg

There was a similar one used in Rambo 3, but this one looks better IMHO. :D

http://www.rotaryaction.com/rambo3.html

I also recall seeing a Sikorsky S-62 done up as a mock Hind, but I cannot recall what movie that was used in. :thumbsup:

Maybe it was that shite Dolph Lundgren thing "Red Scorpion"....?

Edited by RotorheadTX

Habu,

I haven't seen the movie since I was in high school, but I thought they were Sikorskys.

If they did that movie today they could use REAL HINDs!! I was on the ramp at Nellis in 2000 and was stunned to see a Hind-D flying down the the taxiway! Then later in the trip I got to sit in one at the Threat Museum.

Chappie

Hey Habu;

Don't know who Nathan Decker is but he is seriously mistaken. I actually saw this film in a real theatre (Cinarama, not the dinky screens now) and they were definitely Pumas made up to look like Hinds. What Sikorsky is probably taking about is some S55's made to look like Hinds for training for US military some time ago , nothing to do with the movie which clearly used modified Pumas. Even remember seeing blurb about their use in a TV piece about the movie and you can tell just by looking. Don't believe everything quoted on the net :woot.gif:

There was also a film shot near Calgary Alberta in the late 80's with a Sikorsky S-55 done up in Mock Soviet colours...it sacred the bejeebers outta me..I HEARD it coming...eventually I SAW it coming...and when I noticed the desert camo i thought to myself...."That's odd...why is Isreal sending stuff to Canada to test out?"...then it flew across my line of sight and i saw the red stars on it....I gotta tell ya....1988 was a MUCH scarier time than now! I ACTUALLY thought we had been invaded...for about 3 seconds..then remembered the film being shot nearby. It starred Roy Scheider and was about some US officer and his soviet counterpart taking things personally and almost starting WW III over a snowball fight!

Edit: The film was called "The Fourth War" and is immediately forgettable!!!!

Alvis 3.1 :banana:

Edited by Alvis 3.1

OoooOOoo....Cool!!! Was the Hip covered in a bunch of Cyrillic lettering? I recall an old IPMS Canada having apic of one somewhere in Saskabush with a lot of writing upon it....some commemorative concept if I recall corrrectly.....

Alvis 3.1

If they did that movie today they could use REAL HINDs!! I was on the ramp at Nellis in 2000 and was stunned to see a Hind-D flying down the the taxiway! Then later in the trip I got to sit in one at the Threat Museum.

Watched a show on Discovery Wings or something like that about the Hind and there's a US Army unit flying them somewhere in the southeast. The show said that due to conditions of most Hinds in service, they (The US Army unit) were something like the second-largest user in the world.

Of course, we all know how accurate those shows can be.

ya f14peter, I remember the OPFOR guys at Ft.Polk's JRTC used hips and hinds. I cant recall the unit though. They would buzz our tents a couple times a week while we were there. And this was in 97-98.

Hey Habu;

Don't know who Nathan Decker is but he is seriously mistaken. I actually saw this film in a real theatre (Cinarama, not the dinky screens now) and they were definitely Pumas made up to look like Hinds. What Sikorsky is probably taking about is some S55's made  to look like Hinds for training for US military some time ago , nothing to do with the movie which clearly used modified Pumas. Even remember seeing blurb about their use in a TV piece about the movie and you can tell just by looking. Don't believe everything quoted on the net  :o

He seems to have a bit of a helicopter recognition problem in general.

From Mr. Decker in regards to the helo types used in the making of Black Hawk Down;

"The Boeing (MD) AH-64 Apaches and the Cayuses (or MD-500s) were on loan from the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, and several of the helicopter pilots were involved in the actual battle of 1993." - NATHAN DECKER

There was a reason it was called Black Hawk Down. How the heck can you get an Apache and a Black Hawk mixed up? ;) Besides, there are no Apaches in use with the 160th SOAR. They use AH-6J Little Birds and MH-60L DAPs for gunship support.