Tamiya tape: same, but cheaper

Hi gang,

You all know and appreciate the qualities of Tamiya tape. A friend of mine found out that 3M sells exactly the same kind of tape, in 50m rolls, for far less than Tamiya. You can get it any Do-It-Yourself store.

I tried it, and YES, YES, YES it works like a charm :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Pierre

DSCN9428_modifi__.JPG

Pierre, THAT is so cool! Hope I can get it here, but after all, it´s a German brand, so that schould really be no problem :worship: That will help to save money for kits!!!

István

the picture shows "scotch", but he writes "3M". now... i know "3M" owns "scotch", but since when 3M was a german company? i always thought it was from minnesota.. Minnesota Mining and ...sssssomething :thumbsup:

Pierre, THAT is so cool! Hope I can get it here, but after all, it´s a German brand, so that schould really be no problem :worship: That will help to save money for kits!!!

István

the picture shows "scotch", but he writes "3M". now... i know "3M" owns "scotch", but since when 3M was a german company? i always thought it was from minnesota.. Minnesota Mining and ...sssssomething :thumbsup:

On the backside of the label it says "3M (Schweiz) AG, made in Japan". Rings a bell?

i always thought it was from minnesota.. Minnesota Mining and ...sssssomething 
Yup, Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing; doubtless a Fortune 500 company.

I'll be looking in the hardware store.

Thanks Pierre!

Actually 110, to be exact.

And thanks for the head's up Pierre! :bandhead2:

Thanks for the heads up but, what is the product number on the roll of tape? Because do you guy's have any idea how many different kinds of masking tape 3M makes? well it's a LOT and not everything is carried everywhere but with a product number it can be easier to find or be ordered.

Ken :cheers:

Yes, please do let us Canucks know. I was planning on using house painter's mask-it tape, for the main body and Tamiya tape for the cockpits just to cut down on the usage of the Tamiya tape...$$$, y'know. I think I'll stock up on a few rolls if it's available here. :cheers:

Yes, yes, this is BIG news. If we can find this stuff in the USA, we'll be able save a bundle and we can buy more new kits. If somebody does find it, please do let the rest of us know. I have been in a lot of large hardware-type stores in the Minnesota-Wisconsin area and I have never seen the stuff.

Bails

Hi guys,

I have seen a yellowish 3M painters type crepe tape at the local Auto-Zone store. I will check to see if this is the stuff. It was in a 3/4 or 1" roll. It was a premium brand like 3M, not some cheap stuff, but it was fairly inexpensive.

I have been using the blue tape for a long time. I buy the 1" and cut the width I need as I go.

My technique is to lay it down on a clean piece of 1/4" acrylic and then slice it to the width I need with a fresh testor's #11. This gives a nice sharp edge, and allows me to make any width I need. It also stretches the life of a roll to an insane amount! :worship:

Pete

Dave, that looks pretty close to it. Hopefully we'll be able to get this stuff on our side of the ocean.

Frankly problems or not, I'm considering 3M Blue tape just so that I have something that isn't as expensive to use as Tamiya tape.

Well I guess the only logical thing to do,would be for Pierre to send us each a roll to test,a kind of "free" trial offer......if you will.Since this was Pierre`s "Pandoras`Box" to open ,he should of course incur all costs.

If we at ARC decide this "wonder" tape is to our satisfaction ,then perhaps he can become the new world distributer ,and can therefor purchase from him.We would of course expect some sort of trade discount and reduced shipping quotes,as I`m sure Pierre would have it no other way.

I am,however, worried that this may interfere with his new Phantom project ,and new updates will be far and few between.Ah...a selfless man indeed.

Salut :cheers:

Paul T

Dave busted it :cop: Ii is the product referred to on page 2 of the german catalog.

Today I went to the Do-It-Yourself shop and bought a second roll. They bear 2 kinds of packaging: a shrink-wrap with a 3M cardstock label (no product id), and a nude packing, where the price and bar-code is just sticked to the roll. On the later there is the id "Scotch 244", pointing definitely to Dave findings.

This also answers the question about available widths: I have now two rolls, one 25mm wide and the second 19mm. Both are 50m long.

Pierre

DSCN9453_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9454_modifi__.JPG