VF-41 Black Aces...the markings

Hi all!!

After having decided go with VF-41's markings for my VF-0B I now need to decide on which era and/or type of markings to do...

So I turn to the eludicated brethren of ARC (ie Animal et al) for guidance...which era markings for VF-41 is best represented in the 1/72 because it looks like I'll have to buy another kit to get the decals I need...and therefore do I try an fnd the F-14 markings or do I go for the F/A-18F markings??

Thanx for looking and have a good one!

-Damian

ok...now i like VF-41 but don't build 1/72 so there could be some missing here

1977 Cruise Hi Viz ....Microscale i think did these

1981 Cruise Su-22 killers Detail & scale,Fujimi,Superscale

1991 Gulf war Superscale

1993 Bombcat Hasegawa kit

1997 USS JFK Cruise Airfix kit

1999 Revell kit

i think that maybe it...

ok...now i like VF-41 but don't build 1/72 so there could be some missing here

1977 Cruise Hi Viz ....Microscale i think did these

1981 Cruise Su-22 killers Detail & scale,Fujimi,Superscale

1991 Gulf war Superscale

1993 Bombcat Hasegawa kit

1997 USS JFK Cruise Airfix kit

1999 Revell kit

i think that maybe it...

:lol:

Thanx...but now it makes the choice all the more difficult! Which of those would you say was the best for you? Look wise that is...

-Damian

I'm being a biatch and bumping this so that I can get more input! :cheers:

Thanx for looking agian!! And please leave which era you like best!

-Damian

I'd agree with Skull Leader...And since they are currently the "latest" markings, it would roughly coincide with the Macross timeline (Maybe about 30 years difference...)

1970s is my favorite

F-14:-

CAM #72024 1970's

CM72024_001a.jpg

CAM #72059 Gulf of Sidra 1981

CM72059_001a.jpg

Hasegawa #00364 1970's??

HS_F14A_007_003.jpg

F/A-18F:-

Twobobs #72023

03.jpg

See told ya i'm no expert on 1/72! :cheers:

Edited by mungo1974

Well over to the TwoBob's website I shall go!

Thanx for your help all! Mungo Nice selection for the future :cheers:

Watch this space for more details!!!

-Damian

Don't Forget the Last Flight Cruise in 2001. The markings on the birds then were good looking as well. They all had the "End of an Era 1972-2001" or "First Cruse Last Cruise 1971-2001" on the tails and the wives/sweethearts names on the nose. Along with a few bomb emblems from Operation Enduring Freedom.

I think that CAM made a set in both 72 and 48th scale

I'd agree with Skull Leader...And since they are currently the "latest" markings, it would roughly coincide with the Macross timeline (Maybe about 30 years difference...)

actually, given the markings the SH is wearing now, and the time when the VF-0 was in service (only a couple of years, leading up to the production of the VF-1 Valkyrie and the subsequent Zentraedi invasion), there's only about a 3 year gap (remember, Macross Zero takes place in 2008)

actually, given the markings the SH is wearing now, and the time when the VF-0 was in service (only a couple of years, leading up to the production of the VF-1 Valkyrie and the subsequent Zentraedi invasion), there's only about a 3 year gap (remember, Macross Zero takes place in 2008)

Yeah, now I remember, the VF-0 was the prototype Roy Fokker flew...geesh...(sorry, I'm using Robotech names...I can't remember the Japanese Macross names other than Hikaru Ichijo and Misa Hayase) before transitioning in to the VF-1.

OK...3 years difference, then THAT would definitely make it the current decals...however if you want to keep the fact that Robotech was on TV during the mid-70s, early 80s, and they used hi-vis VF-84 for Skull Squadron, then you could also use the hi-vis 70s era VF-41 decals too. ~confusing, huh?~ :blink: :wacko:

I swear to God, I'm going to KILL Phil Burrows for getting me interested in Robotech... :blink: :lol: :rofl:

Edited by The_Animal

Yeah, now I remember, the VF-0 was the prototype Roy Fokker flew...geesh...(sorry, I'm using Robotech names...I can't remember the Japanese Macross names other than Hikaru Ichijo and Misa Hayase) before transitioning in to the VF-1.

OK...3 years difference, then THAT would definitely make it the current decals...however if you want to keep the fact that Robotech was on TV during the mid-70s, early 80s, and they used hi-vis VF-84 for Skull Squadron, then you could also use the hi-vis 70s era VF-41 decals too. ~confusing, huh?~ :blink: :wacko:

I swear to God, I'm going to KILL Phil Burrows for getting me interested in Robotech... :blink: :lol: :rofl:

You see thats what I'm thinking...that original markings are 70's 80's inspired and Mac 0 is the prequel so shouldn't the markings carried by the birds reflect this?

But in the end I know I'll be doing one in 70's markings ('cause they kick ***) and one in mod markings (see previous reason)...why? Because I can, and I may do other F-14/ F/A-18E/F squadrons too!!! MWHAHAHAHAHA...now I just need the cash to get the plastic!

-Damian

okay just came back from TwoBobs...the mod VFA 41 markings are sold out so it looks like I'll need to find another source...The Hasegawa F-18F comes with VFA 41 markings right?

-Damian

Edited by Damian

Roy Focker was how it was spelled and pronounced in the original "Chojikuu Yousai Makurosu" (Super Demension Fortress: Macross)

Fortunately, when Shoji Kawamori placed "Skull Squadron" into the Macross series (I abhor Robotech.. they mutilated the story to make it fit with two other completely unrelated stories... which then makes no sense afterwords), he wisely omitted the use of the squadron number. Since the Jolly Rogers regalia was transferred in the mid 1990s, NOW we would say that the Squadron was the VF-103.... although watching it when it initially aired in 1982, VF-84 were enjoying their prime.

Gawd, I love the VF-1... Shoji Kawamori was a genius for designing it!

Here was a good picture from Macross 7 that depicts both Hikaru and Max in their "Skull one" VF-1S Valkyries (Max was "Skull Leader" for the duration of the battle over Protoculture Island and was later written off as MIA when he went to duel Milia 639... so Hikaru was promoted to CO of Skull team)... on the major Macross internet forums, it was often hotly debated if Max ever actually got his own VF-1S... this photo later proved it to be true (that or it was one of those VF-1B "Half-S" refits.)

Edited by Skull Leader
Here was a good picture from Macross 7 that depicts both Hikaru and Max in their "Skull one" VF-1S Valkyries (Max was "Skull Leader" for the duration of the battle over Protoculture Island and was later written off as MIA when he went to duel Milia 639... so Hikaru was promoted to CO of Skull team)... on the major Macross internet forums, it was often hotly debated if Max ever actually got his own VF-1S... this photo later proved it to be true (that or it was one of those VF-1B "Half-S" refits.)

I am in awe of your commanding Macross knowledge, if you haven't noticed I just lurk over at Macross World :wacko:

I would love to see more Macross kits in 1/72...ya know VF-4 Lightning or VF-11 both the Macross Plus version and Macross 7 version...but also some aftermarket would be good too.

Now if only Hasegawa would see it fit to release a 1/48 VF-1 (any type!) with all the bells and whistles I'd bankrupt myself buying 'em!!!

-Damian

• 4 weeks later...

I admire your resoureful knowledge in the Macross series, Skull Leader! But your attached image is from the Macross movie: "Do you remember love?" - that is the show where more than one "skull and crossbone" markings, with yellow, red, blue and green color chest and fin tips, were introduced. Also, there were only 1S and 1A, also VE-1 and VT-1, in the movie - but no 1J.

In the original TV series, only Roy Focker's 1S has the 'skull' and Hikaru flew the 1J and Max in a 1A (blue 1J after married with Miria!). After Roy died, Hikaru took over Roy's jet and became skull leader.

In the movie, Hikaru flew a skull 1A with red chest markings and Roy flew the same skull 1S with yellow. After Roy used his valkyrie to shoot himself with the enemy, Hikaru took over as skull leader and flew a 1S but still in red markings. Max this time switched to fly the battle suit with his wife Miria.

Macross 7 is the TV show that the pilots jam music on the valkyries.

I admire your resoureful knowledge in the Macross series, Skull Leader! But your attached image is from the Macross movie: "Do you remember love?" - that is the show where more than one "skull and crossbone" markings, with yellow, red, blue and green color chest and fin tips, were introduced. Also, there were only 1S and 1A, also VE-1 and VT-1, in the movie - but no 1J.

In the original TV series, only Roy Focker's 1S has the 'skull' and Hikaru flew the 1J and Max in a 1A (blue 1J after married with Miria!). After Roy died, Hikaru took over Roy's jet and became skull leader.

In the movie, Hikaru flew a skull 1A with red chest markings and Roy flew the same skull 1S with yellow. After Roy used his valkyrie to shoot himself with the enemy, Hikaru took over as skull leader and flew a 1S but still in red markings. Max this time switched to fly the battle suit with his wife Miria.

Macross 7 is the TV show that the pilots jam music on the valkyries.

ACTUALLY the VF-1J *IS* in DYRL! During the opening space battle at Jupiter, You can briefly see a VF-1J decked out in GBP armor firing a full spread of missiles.

It's always cool to see other Macrossworld members here (I know there are a couple of us here... didn't know about Damien, since he's a lurker... you should post more! B) ) LOL, and any knowledge I have of Macross comes from being a fan pretty much since the show originally aired.. and there are people out there who know FAR more than me... (Egan Loo, anyone?)

In terms of continuity/storyline, Shoji Kawamori has pretty much said that SDF: Macross and DYRL are two ways of telling the same story. The only difference being that one was stretched out over 15 hours of animation (36 episodes) and the other was told in about 2 hours (a movie). So, things will be different. When Kawamori and Studio Nue went back to make the movie, they had the opportunity to make things more definative and elaborate (this was later explained off that DYRL was a movie that people in the macross realm would've been able to watch around 2030 or so). So which one is real/correct? The answer is both and neither.

Given that Macross Zero flight suits STRONGLY resemble their DYRL counterparts, and everything since has drawn upon DYRL (with the sole exception of Milia Jenius' flight suit in Macross 7, which is a throwback to the old TV style flight suits), I tend to lean on DYRL as the definative Space-War I design video.

I would love to see more Macross kits in 1/72...ya know VF-4 Lightning or VF-11 both the Macross Plus version and Macross 7 version...but also some aftermarket would be good too.

Now if only Hasegawa would see it fit to release a 1/48 VF-1 (any type!) with all the bells and whistles I'd bankrupt myself buying 'em!!!

-Damian

I believe Club-M released a transformable VF-4G Valkyrie in 1/72... could be wrong about the company though. Studio Half-Eye did a VF-11B/C Transformable model in 1/72 also (this kit was used as the basis for the Yamato 1/72 VF-11B)

Granted, both of these were resin kits and are therefore very expensive (and also very rare).

Lastly, Club-M DID release a 1/48 scale "ultimate detail" VF-1 Valkyrie fighter kit. It was non-transformable, but you could build it as either a A, J, or an S... and you could build it as a standard, super, or strike valkyrie. Photo etch, White metal parts... this kit had it all. You could build it with flaps and spoilers open, or even with many of the armor panels removed, showing the internal structure. These were a super-limited release (like 300-400 kits I think), but Macrossworld member "Blackaces" did a limited recasting of it about 4 years ago. You can find one on Macrossworld if you're willing to pay!

Edited by Skull Leader
ACTUALLY the VF-1J *IS* in DYRL! During the opening space battle at Jupiter, You can briefly see a VF-1J decked out in GBP armor firing a full spread of missiles.

I see. Maybe I should pick up my DVD and watch it one more time as it was like 2 years since I watched it :)

VF-4 and VF-11 are both cool but only available in resin. Don't know if Hasegawa could get the license for plastic injection kit and I really hope they can. B)

Macross Zero is not bad at all and the dog fightings are so stunning. Story, well, typical Japanese-style of sci-fic which is a little hard to understand. :thumbsup: (But Evangelion is the worst story telling I've ever seen)

So excited to see some Macross-related banter over here on ARC. I'd recommend posting over at Macrossworld.com... there is an active forum community and a wealth of Macross related info. The model forum is very impressive too. I did a VF-4G kit awhile ago for starshipmodeler.com.

bb_vf-4finishedpic1.jpg