The photo of the FGR.2 between the buildings was taken at RAF St Athan, previously the deep maintenance base for the Phantom and my local base, but since the introduction of contractorisation / privatisation they dont have so much activity down there now B)

That RAF Phantom was on an AIRTEST after maintenance at St Athan. The pilot was on his last flight so decided to do a low pass between the hangars. He was ordered to land by ATC, and given a dressing down by the Commander.

Legend has it that the base commander had the photo mounted on his wall!

That RAF Phantom was on an AIRTEST after maintenance at St Athan. The pilot was on his last flight so decided to do a low pass between the hangars. He was ordered to land by ATC, and given a dressing down by the Commander.

Legend has it that the base commander had the photo mounted on his wall!

And also i heard that someone fell from that scallfolding on the buidings and broke his leg, is this true? :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

Folks:

I don't know if this has been posted before, but here's a pic sent from a bubba of mine. What's interesting in it is that the F-14 is prone to blowing out the mainmounts during gear retraction if the a/c is too low. There's a great pic of a VF-114 Tomcat taking off for an airshow demo which shows this phenomenon. (BTW, this Tomcat landed OK.)

Anyway, my apologies in advance if this pic has been on ARC before...

MDog

here is a nice F-106Bfrom 101st FIS taken by me, at Otis angb mass. USA 1987.

warthog64

I LOVE THAT 106 shot... I've admired it for some time... pleasure to be speaking (so to speak) w/ the gent who shot it! Thanks for sharing.

And now I just noticed the shadow which would appear to be from a higher-flying a/c, thus I suspect this pic is doctored. Also, the a/c appears to have the gear up, which would be rather difficult at that altitude. So this suggests an altered pic as well. But this is just MHO.

If this is, in reality, a low trannie, then WOW!

MDog