Dr Who was the SF stable diet for me during the seventies and when we came back from the country to Perth on holidays I watched and enjoyed Space 1999 and UFO. Bug eyed monsters and crappy SFX.

Blakes Seven anyone? Typical BBC stuff with strong character development and stories balanced with poor SFX.

Space:1999 and U.F.O were great, imaginative shows, and Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's first attempt to do adventure w/out "Supermarionation" (puppets). The models hanging from wires were tough to believe by today's standards, but the models themselves were spectacular works of art by Derek Meddings- the Eagle Transporter is a realistic portrayal of an interplanetary spaceship, even with it's obvious Thunderbird 2 heritage. 1999 combined the five-character formula of Star Trek with the technological coldness of 2001: A Space Odyssey (Yes, the Moon NEVER would have survived being blown out of orbit, but so what?) :worship:

When Star Trek first aired (long before the PC) I thought the hand held communicators were really neat, but so far in the future that I'll never live long enough to see it invented, pure Sci-Fi.

Today everytime I flip open my cell phone I'm tempted to say "Beam me up Scotty"

No offense, Gunner, but I HATE it when someone compares cellphones to Communicators. Cellphone technology is marketed in an evil fashion, intended to get everone addicted and paying yet another monthly fee for something they did not need earlier (and I have never been able to raise the Enterprise on my cellphone. Not ever. :worship: )

When Star Trek first aired (long before the PC) I thought the hand held communicators were really neat, but so far in the future that I'll never live long enough to see it invented, pure Sci-Fi.

Today everytime I flip open my cell phone I'm tempted to say "Beam me up Scotty"

No offense, Gunner, but I HATE it when someone compares cellphones to Communicators. Cellphone technology is marketed in an evil fashion, intended to get everone addicted and paying yet another monthly fee for something they did not need earlier (and I have never been able to raise the Enterprise on my cellphone. Not ever. :wave: )

No offense taken and you have a valid point, I've often had similar thoughts. On the other hand I've had an amazing voyage following the destiny of my life. The chronological progression has been nothing short of astonishing.

Television - It was black and white and we only had 3 channels. VCR's, DVD's, Cable, satellite dishes - were pure science fiction.

Computers - Were mysterious things that took up a whole building (Univac). The PC was pure science fiction.

Avionics - The Spad was a dinosaur, if what we called a Black Box detected a missle launch, we'd get a warble tone in the head set. Then you'd have to look around and try to aquire SAM in the visual spectrum. Those old SA-2's were like a telephone pole coming at you. When you spotted it, you used the old constant bearing decreasing range method. Close one eye and hold your thumb over the missle. If it moved, it wasn't tracking you. If it didn't, sh*t your pants and begin evasive. Today's counter measures was pure science fiction.

Navagation - The way I navigated in my first boat was a compass, charts, and Radio Directional Finder, then I got Loran. GPS was pure science fiction.

Telephone - Had a rotary dial. Today I have a wireless hand held device that allows me to place a call to anywhere. I have a hands free option in my car so I can talk thru the radio system, no more distracting than speaking to a passenger. The walkie talkie option allows me to talk to my wife when I'm in Orlando and she sounds like she's in the next room and it only costs me $69 a month. That's science fiction.

I can't wait to see what the next 30 years (if I live that long) will bring.

:woo: