Just completed the RealSpace 1/48 scale Apollo CSM kit this afternoon. The high gain antenna will follow shortly. My cat destroyed the first one and another is coming. Next up is to build then mate the Monogram Lunar Module to the top end.

Peace,

Randy

DSC01592.jpg

Thanks for the words Rusty,

Excellent question you bring up. I don't have a definate answer, but could only surmise that by the time the launch vehicle gets to it's velocity, the air is so thin as to not cause excessive drag.

DSC01604.jpg

Building the aft radiator panel of the LM Ascent Stage.

Randy

Beautiful job - makes me want to throw in "From the Earth to the Moon" again.

Got to get me one of those to go with the other NASA stuff of mine(I'll forget trying to do all the same scale!!)

Thanks for your comments guys. It seems as though NASA spacecraft modelers are a rarity and those who build these kits really know their stuff so I appreciate very much your comments - pro or con.

I finished the radiator panel and just "skinned" the aft section of the ascent stage. You know how the aluminum skin is all wrinkly? On my last LM kit I tried gouging the plastic, then sanding the contours so that they blended into each other (similar to making stressed skin on aircraft). But I wasn't happy with the final result. This time I'm cutting .005" thick styrene to match each panel then I bend each piece before gluing into place. This looks much better.

Randy

DSC01608.jpg