Because i like to make my Su27 very weathered, i came across a very nice picture which is very faded and worn out see below

su27worngq3.jpg

Most builds i see start with preshading, hull colour and camo pattern and then the weathering.

But i like to do something else, so i experimented with a part that is replaced with the Excellent intakes from ZACTOMODELS!

so i like to explain how i did this,

First: i sprayed the intake in a silver/aluminum tamiya paint

Second: a spray of Tamiya XF4 yellowgreen to replicate the primer color

third: a coat of revell 31149 lightblue (which is not the exact color, only for testing if it should look right)

fourth: When the paint had dryed for some days, i polished some areas with very fine sanding/polish paper and lots of water to create the worn surface seen on the

picture above.

Fifth: to bring the rivets/panellines to the front i used some grey/brown pastelpowder, applied with a brush and wiped the exces with a cloth.

Please let me know what do you think off this method!!, or are there other suggestions i could use?

Here's the picture of the intake.

weatheringqd9.jpg

Thanks!!

Wasserfall

Ciao Wasserfal,

I think you are on the best way to replicate the weathered paint of this Su-27. I suggest you to polish more big area with natural metal and if it would appear too much shining spry a very light coat of paint, but without cover the metal area (or green primer area).

Good job.

Ciao

Hi Henry!

It´s a very intersting technique but also quite time consuing in the preparation, I guess. I think this looks very good and had planned to try a similar effect but since all the paint is already on, I´ll have to get there with a brush. Keep it up and your bird will look absolutely fantastic!!!

Greetings,

Martin

Edited by upupandaway

Thank you all for the kind reactions

to replicate the bare metal i think Starflyer has a very good point

And yes it will be time consuming, but that's the case with this Flanker already :cheers:

But there are some things to correct and assemble before i finaly try this paint method.

Thanks!!

Wasserfall

• 2 weeks later...

Today i post some pictures from my work on the canopy, using the very nice ZACTOMODELS canopy

Next a picture were the panellines are visible, and offcourse! different from the Trumpeter one.

linesreallifefd7.jpg

The red lines represent the actual panel lines in reall life.

canopylineshb6.jpg

So after some rescribing it ended up like this, note: i used silver paint to find any imperfections

this will be polished and rescribed a litle

canopylinespaintedfn3.jpg

The other side, it does look rather crude, but the picture has some bad lighting ( i should get me some studio lighting some time)

canopylinespaintedrqe5.jpg

Thanks for watching, and if there are any complaints, please feel free to respond:)

Edited by Wasserfall
Hi!

Which Alclad tone did you use? Nice work also on the panel lines. I would suggest that you also make those changes to the rivets as Ghostkiller had mentioned, but it looks great anyway.

:) ;) :thumbsup:

Well i just used Tamiya silver in a spray can, nothing fancy, it will be sanded/polished anyway it's just to show imperfections to me

Today i removed the rivets Ghostkiller suggested, i totally overlooked them as i was tu busy on the canopy :woot.gif:

Cheers!!

Wasserfall

That is awesome I will definately have to try this Erick :)

Because i like to make my Su27 very weathered, i came across a very nice picture which is very faded and worn out see below

su27worngq3.jpg

Most builds i see start with preshading, hull colour and camo pattern and then the weathering.

But i like to do something else, so i experimented with a part that is replaced with the Excellent intakes from ZACTOMODELS!

so i like to explain how i did this,

First: i sprayed the intake in a silver/aluminum tamiya paint

Second: a spray of Tamiya XF4 yellowgreen to replicate the primer color

third: a coat of revell 31149 lightblue (which is not the exact color, only for testing if it should look right)

fourth: When the paint had dryed for some days, i polished some areas with very fine sanding/polish paper and lots of water to create the worn surface seen on the

picture above.

Fifth: to bring the rivets/panellines to the front i used some grey/brown pastelpowder, applied with a brush and wiped the exces with a cloth.

Please let me know what do you think off this method!!, or are there other suggestions i could use?

Here's the picture of the intake.

weatheringqd9.jpg

Thanks!!

Wasserfall

There is one more thing you might also want to add. I had forgotten to mention it in my last post. It´s something I also had to correct later: The two latches (I think they are called) for the ladder are too closely together. I belive the rear one has to be slightly more backwards. If you are using the LH decals you will definitely notice this since they are designed to fit a bigger distance between them.

Greetings

• 1 month later...

Thanks to ghostkiller, i filled up the rivets and replaced them with excisting ones on the reall thing

rprimerjk2.jpg

And now i'm starting with the reall paintwork!, man that thing is big, i need at least 2 or 3 bottles of paint (Tamiya) per color!

In this picture you can see the primer which has been polished with very fine sanding/polishpaper.

primerle4.jpg

Next a layer of Tamiya Flataluminium

zilverkn9.jpg

Followed by a coat of Tamiya XF-4 Yellow-Green to replicate the primer color

primerzinkqh9.jpg

The pictures were taken under different light conditions, so they do not match perfectly, but when time permits i will build some sort of "studio lighting"with a bleuish background

Thanks for any comment.

Wish you all a happy new year!!

• 1 month later...

Oke, she is still alive!

After determing what colours i should use i ordered the Xtracolor Flanker paint (X602 lightblue,X601 med bleu and X603 darkbleu).

because i wanted to make a heavy weathered Flanker i had to lighten up these colours (even ended up not to use the darkbleu!)

So i added white and a touch of Humbrol dark bleu, because the bleu of Xtracolor seemed to yellow/bleuish

In this picture i sprayed the first coat of lightbleu toned down

I have to say that i don't like the Xtracolor, for it is to thin (without thinner added) and had to spray several layers to get it covered and it is gloss paint!! next time i stick with Revell, Humbrol or Testors

lichtblauwbasis.jpg

Here you see the base camo, for the grey i used the X601 mediumbleu and added white and darkgrey, for the bleu camo i used the X601 and added some white and darkbleu Humbrol as mentioned above

so i didn't use the darkbleu at all!

camobasis.jpg

The colors have to be more faded, in some pictures off the reall Su they are extremely faded

Note that i used tube lighting so the colors don't seem exactly as shown.

As i mentioned before i wanted to use a different technique to replicate the worn camo, in this picture i polished/sanded the camo pattern with very fine waterproofsandingpaper

in some places you see the yellow primer coming threu (in reall live it is sometimes even worse, i load up some if i work on the engine covers)

camoslijpen.jpg

What do you think sofar ( needs to be washed etc. offcourse)

Thanks for watching.

Edited by Wasserfall

I believe that this method will take long time to be done but surely will be a heck of a job when done and that chipped paint will look as real as the real item...in fact you are actually doing almost the same way of how it happens on the real plane so you're doing an awesome job!!!!!!

Keep it up

:)

It looks really, really good! This is going to be the coolest Flanker paintwork I have seen. I wouldn't dare to use the same method because I'm a coward but you certainly make it look easy. Can't wait to see this one finished! :worship:

/Johan C

After playing around with the camo scheme were i touched up some places with lighter bleu to loose some contrast between the colors, i mixed some

green for the dielectric panels, just looking at pictures and mix some Humbrol light and darkgreen, just by eye.

Again the first layer of paint is a lighter one than the second, so if i polish that it looks weathered.

groenbasis.jpg

Seen from the other side, with some daylight!! (haven't had that in a long time)

groenx.jpg

Some detail pictures will follow shortly

Thanks