I like the P-40. When I was a kid living in Alamo, California... about 20 years ago, I had a neighbor whose name is John Paul. He was in the process of restoring a P-40 in his garage. They moved to Idaho before he was finished. He started a museum in Nampa, Idaho. It's the Warhawk Air Museum. To top it off, I went to an airshow in Northern Idaho last year and he had a P-40 there. I talked to him, told him who i was (the kid that always wanted to see his P-40) and asked if he ever finished the airplane. He said I was looking at it! So, yes, I'm a P-40 fan also.....

I like it... When I was very small (about 7) It was my Fav. plane... but times change, and I discovered that Bent Wing birds are bigger, stronger, faster

I still like it, though :thumbsup:

Take Care

I'm a fan too.I've just completed the Hasegawa 1/48 P-40E.Can't wait for the N

Stephen :thumbsup:

Hi Stephen,

How did you find the build? I picked one up the other day, and I want to use the new Aussie decals from CE on her.

Cheers

Brad

Stephen :thumbsup:

Hi Stephen,

How did you find the build? I picked one up the other day, and I want to use the new Aussie decals from CE on her.

Cheers

Brad

Hi Brad,

I enjoyed the build,the only areas of concern are the tail section and the insert for the cokpit due to the multi-variant mould.I'd strongly suggest gluing these to the fuselage halves before you put the fuselage halves together.You'll still have to fill and sand the joins but there's less chance of a step.Also highly recommended are the Ultracast exhausts and seats http://www.ultracast.ca/

The only prob I did encounter was due to me fixing the cockpit in an open position which required white glue which then reacted with some future and "silvered a little" But that was just me.I'll hopefully get some pics on-line.

Stephen :D

Yes Nathan .

I've been studying and researching RAF Kittyhawks since 1968 on and off.

Got 60 48th Scale in my stash, including 3 of those designed by a lunatic Hasegawa E and the P40 N . I intend to cross kit an E and an N. I'll use the N tail with the E front half and Ultacast exhausts , wheels and seats to get a P40K10

The left over pieces from both kits will get me a P40R1 .

I've got 13 Eduard P40M/N and 4 AMT N so I've enough to do, without getting any more Hasegwa N unless I want to do some more P4OK-10/15

:thumbsup:

Stephen :lol:

Hi Stephen,

Cheers

Brad

Hi Brad,

I enjoyed the build,the only areas of concern are the tail section and the insert for the cokpit due to the multi-variant mould.I'd strongly suggest gluing these to the fuselage halves before you put the fuselage halves together.You'll still have to fill and sand the joins but there's less chance of a step.Also highly recommended are the Ultracast exhausts and seats http://www.ultracast.ca/

The only prob I did encounter was due to me fixing the cockpit in an open position which required white glue which then reacted with some future and "silvered a little" But that was just me.I'll hopefully get some pics on-line.

Stephen :worship:

Thanks for the pics Stephen..they look awesome!

Cheers Mate

Brad

Yes Nathan .

I've been studying and researching RAF Kittyhawks since 1968 on and off.

Got 60 48th Scale in my stash, including 3 of those designed by a lunatic Hasegawa E and the P40 N . I intend to cross kit an E and an N. I'll use the N tail with the E front half and Ultacast exhausts , wheels and seats to get a P40K10

The left over pieces from both kits will get me a P40R1 .

I've got 13 Eduard P40M/N and 4 AMT N so I've enough to do, without getting any more Hasegwa N unless I want to do some more P4OK-10/15

:lol:

Terry,

What is the difference between the E & N tails? I thought the K tail required a small fillet on it's tail?

TIA

Brad

I, too, love the Warhawk, Kittyhawk, etc, etc. I have been a fan ever since I learned about Claire Chennault, Pappy Boyington and the Flying Tigers in China. Just picked up the new Hasegawa P-40E. I ordered some sexy decals for it from Meteorprod. Can't wait to start building it after I have finished my Corsair for the PACAIR g.b.

Stephen;

You recommend gluing the assembled cockpit to the fuselage half first, then glue the halves together second? What do the instructions tell you to do? What about the tail section? Was it a major difficulty? Did it require a fair amount of filling? Also, did you sand down the "extra" lines created by the separate tail and nose sections?

Thanks in advance,

:lol:

J.C.

Hi Brad,

There were 2 distinct versions of the K , THe K-1and 5 series had the same length fuselage as the E -31ft 2ins . These had the fin fillet as did the late model E.

The K10 and 15 had the longer 33ft 3 3/4 ins fuselage which became standard on later F /L/M&N models.

500 of the long-tailed K were built , the Majority being exported to the RAF/RAAF/RNZAF/VVS and FAB.

In RAF /Commonwealth service they were designated Kittyhawk MKIII as were the "Short-Tailed K"and M Models

Hi Nathan , Can't say I've ever done any Yank ones . Might do a Short tailed K like the one in the Photo since I have 6 of the old AMT ones ion the stash. I prefer to do lesser known A/C . I intend doing GA*Jinx FR474 of 112Sq with the kitbashed long tailed K. At the moment I'm doing a 3 sq RAAF Mustang CV*P KH716 Sq Ldr

Murray Nash's A/C Italy December 1944.

:cheers:

It's my favorite plane too. It was a much better plane than most people think. Every plane has its strengths and weaknesses, and if a pilot flew the P-40 with its strengths in mind, it was quite formidable. I have a number of P-40s in my stash (not as many as Terry), and hope to build them all!

Here's a pic of my most recent build:

DSCN0368.jpg

Mark

Edited by Mark Joyce

Good comments Mark,

The P-40 is really a good airplane, and did give the Japanese pilots a run for their money! Actually, the P-40 had the edge to actually dogfight with a Zero/ki. But as you said Mark, it would depend on the skill of the pilots.

Glad to see positive waves towand the P-40!!!

-Nathan :worship::cheers: