How does the Tamiya Orbiter rate?

Hmmm... nobody wants to reply to your request so I'll help ya out here...

According to the kit review in Space In Miniature #3, the Tamiya Space Shuttle kit is one of the best detailed O.O.B. model kits of the Shuttle yet released. You'll find a combination of raised and recessed panel lines, but the wings only have that detail on the upper surfaces. The fit is good for a molds of this age. Some of the RCS thrusters on the aft APS pods are missing (that's what a drill bit is for). The main engines can be built to swivel if you're into that type of thing. A bonus is the exterior plumbing for the engines are molded separately.

You get Tamiya's trademark decals for instrument panels, two suited figures sitting in early type seats. The payload includes SpaceLab and a manipulator arm that has a "claw" for a hand. I'm not sure of the decals, I know in the past it only included markings for Enterprise. However I do know that you can get after-market decals from RealSpace Models that will fit the Tamiya kit. I have a set of similar decals for the 1/72 scale Monogram shuttle and they're excellent decals.

All in all, a good representation of the shuttle in this odd scale.

Randy

The only drawback to this kit is the odd scale. 1/100 does not fit into any collections and creates a major problem if you want to have it on boosters or the 747. I think Entex had a 1/100 747 but good luck finding one and the detail and accuracy on it was not good.

The 1/100 scale is pretty close to the Revell 1/96th scale Saturn V, plus there are plenty of paper space ships in 1/100 or 1/96.

I have seen quite a few of the 1/100 scale 747 kits at home in Australia as well, so a Shuttle-SCA combo is possible.

Cheers

Tony