1/48 RAAF Raptor finished :)

Here's some pitures of my 1/48 Italeri Raptor in RAAF 3 Squadron markings.

This kit is a challenge to say the least! I used the Eduard brass to help the detail out a little.

The decals are my own design and were printed by hawkeye models on the central coast here in Australia. Constructive critisim welcome :crying:

DSC03903.jpg

DSC03899.jpg

DSC03890.jpg

DSC03900.jpg

Hope you like it :wave:

Nathan

Nathan

Bloody awesome mate, well done. You beat me too it!

I have one of these builds planned myself, although I was going to cannablise a Hornet sheet for the markings!!

Can the sheet be purchased seperately?

:wave:

MikeJ

Thanks mike :crying:

The decals were going to be produced by hawkeye models but as Steve Evans gave the game away, he told me that he wouldn't be producing them anymore. The new owner of Hawkeye hasn't approched me for the artwork at this time.

Mabey once he's up and running again they might do them.... Depends on what they want.

HTH,

Nimrod :wave:

aahhhh... seeing that Raptor with aussie markings makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside :crying: I love seeing the RAAF markings on ARC. Im sure that all other aussies here are proud of your work. :wave:

Nice!!!!!!!.......hate to pick but would'nt the serial go on the rear fuselage and where are the roundels?.Would look awesome under the cockpit!

shame we will never see a F/A-22 in Aussie markings :thumbsup:

that ugly duckling POS JSF instead :cheers:

Nice work Nathan, really looks the part.

Though there is only ONE Problem! It should be in the 77SQN markings! :wave:

(ex-77SQN member biase :cheers: )

As a Note Hawkeye is being relauched this weekend at the competition here in Canberra. The new oner will have limited reissues of older decal sheets but is planning to reissue more of the popular sheets as well as new stuff once he gets up and running proper.

:thumbsup:

sweet! looks very nice mate :thumbsup:

never happen though! :wave:

Why not?

If the F-35 programme does not yield fighters for the RAAF, the F-22 is a distinct possibility.

:cheers:

MikeJ

Woah! nice one mate!

hopefully the f-35 does fall though (even though ive found a new love for the AC) RAAF raptors woudl rock!.........then u could just gift ur tasmin partners the JSFs :cheers: *hint, hint :thumbsup:

I think the RAAF could have both :wave: raptors for the air superiority role, and JSFs for that ausome 'phib that was proposed ur navy got!

eitherway: we want airshops over this side of the ditch! :lol:

regards

Raymond

are you looney tunes?!

the price of a RAPTOR is way out of the league of this nation.Especially with the US cutting numbers drastically costs certainly are'nt going to come down.Personally I think the JSF is going to be a lemon and an UGLY one at that!

I can see another COLLINS class submarine debacle on the cards.

personally I think the RAAF should buy or lease RHINOs by the time we are ready for them they will be block 3or4 upgrades that incorporate some stealth attributes and that new AESA radar is revolutionary.

I hope the JSF dies an ugly death!

growing up as a kid you would dream of flying a MIRAGE or HORNET do you think young kids in the years to come will feel the same wanting to be a fighter pilot and flying that thing!..........I think not

are you looney tunes?!

the price of a RAPTOR is way out of the league of this nation.Especially with the US cutting numbers drastically costs certainly are'nt going to come down.Personally I think the JSF is going to be a lemon and an UGLY one at that!

I can see another COLLINS class submarine debacle on the cards.

personally I think the RAAF should buy or lease RHINOs by the time we are ready for them they will be block 3or4 upgrades that incorporate some stealth attributes and that new AESA radar is revolutionary.

I hope the JSF dies an ugly death!

growing up as a kid you would dream of flying a MIRAGE or HORNET do you think young kids in the years to come will feel the same wanting to be a fighter pilot and flying that thing!..........I think not

Steady on, the Collins class sub was "bomber" Beazley's greatest triumph!! :cheers:

Actually the way the F-35 costs are spiralling up, the Raptor might come in as a contender, who knows?? A lot of defence analysts are touting the F-22 as an alternative.

Personally I would like to see a mix of F-15E's and F-18E's. We need something to replace the strike capability of the 'varks!

But that aside, I do like your RAAF "what if!" The decals look superb

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Valid point Mike

come to think of it what does the USAF intend to replace the BEAGLE with?

JSF - :cheers:

F/A-22- :wave:

The BEAGLE will be just a bit long in the tooth for when we want it.

I suppose with the way things are these days that F-111 payload isn't needed

these days you just want to get a couple sat guided munitions pin pointed on the target.Get in...get out deliver without being detected.

I say if no F/A-22

F model SH to equip 1 & 6 sqns

E model SH to equip 3,75&77sqns

but hey a great what if would be a RAAF BEAGLE in 1 or 6sqn markings. :thumbsup:

Here's a couple more shots showing where the roundels are on the bottom and the cockpit before I closed the canopy on it.

P3140012.jpg

P3140008.jpg

P3140002.jpg

As for the RAAF getting F/A-18E's or F's, there not realy what the RAAF needs in my opinion. The super hornets problems out weight there benifits. Those canted pylons make there range not much better than the regular hornets that we have now. :lol:

As for what is going to replace the Hornets and F-111's, IMHO the F-35 for the Hornet would be fine, but a couple of squadrons of F/A-22's or F-15K's with some kind of SEAD aircraft would be the best way to go. Never happen but ! :cheers:

just MHO :P

Cheers

Nimrod :huh:

P.S. The guy that I built it for wanted the gear up and no stand, so the stand is a coat hanger :lol:

Here's some pitures of my 1/48 Italeri Raptor in RAAF 3 Squadron markings.

This kit is a challenge to say the least! I used the Eduard brass to help the detail out a little.

Great job on a pain in the a** kit. (I did it too :lol: ) This is more than a challenge to build this kit , it's a kind of masochism :P

A painfull area are the differents doors who are designed to be opened, I replaced the doors I wanted to shut by plasticard. Wich method did you use?

I'm amazed by your model :cheers: :lol: :huh:

Luc

A painfull area are the differents doors who are designed to be opened, I replaced the doors I wanted to shut by plasticard. Wich method did you use?

Thank all for the encouraging words :D always nice to hear.

I actualy used the kit doors and alot of superglue/putty to fill in the gaps. Then I rescribed the panel lines. Some of the panel lines around the doors (like the gun door on the top right side) are pretty much covered over with super glue and there panel line marked out and re-scribed. I did consider using plasicard but this seemed to work out ok.

hope to see the other Raptors finished on here soon guys!!

This one is my second one, and I told myself never again after the first! :cheers:

Cheers,

Nimrod

• 5 months later...