This is the 1/72 Tamiya Korean War Mustang kit. I could kick myself for not getting the 1/48 version instead, because these parts are so $%#@ small, they're making me crazy B)

Here's the cockpit - without the seat as of yet. I'm trying my hand at scratch-building some seat belts for it, which has been an adventure so far :cheers: .

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

looking good for your first foray into the prop world.

Hey, never mind about the scale, build this one then buy the 1:48 kit and REALLY go to town on it!

The tamiya P-51's are the best around IMHO.

Post more progress pics as you go.

:cheers:

Mike

Making some major progress (I hope) on the Mustang. Got the fuselage halves put together, and the wings put on today, along with painting on the prop.

Critiques are more than welcome...this is my first prop build, and I can only get better if I know where I screwed up :blink: .

This is what the finished product will (hopefully) look like.

Shot of the seat. My first attempt at scratchbuilding the seatbelts. WAY too thick, but oh well, you live and learn.

Also, I'm going to use the filling w/o sanding technique to close that seam where the wing and fuselage meet.

Also, the equipment back there behind the seat. Should I weather that any, or just leave it the way it is?

And the Hamilton Standard prop.

Before I finish here, I've got questions. This kit came with two different types of props, the Hamilton Standard and Aero-Products. Which one do I use for this plane? Also, there's two different canopies - the Dallas-built and the standard canopy. Which one of those do I use?

Hi james,

Looking damn fine so far! :blink:

As for your Q's ref prop and cnopy...

I am no expert on the F-51, but I would go with the Hamilton std prop and the standard hood NOT the Dallas built one.

That said ,Tamiya are usually pretty good at telling you which parts you should/shouldn't use for which mark or model you are building.

Keep up the good work and make sure you post more progress pics. Not much too criticise , but you could try dry brushing that radio pack behind the pilots seat with some mid grey to highlight the details on it. Also if you can still get to them to remove the seat belts you've made, try making some from thin foil, the type that swann-morton scalpel blades packets are made from is the best to use.

if not remember this for future ref :worship:

:worship:

Mike

Edited by Mikeew