Today I introduced a lady friend of mine to Star Wars: ANH since she saw E3 and apparently did not see the original trilogy (heresy!).

When we got to the final battle to destroy the Death Star I pointed out the X-Wings and told her "When I was a kid, every little boy wanted to be an X-Wing pilot." (See, I was in 1st grade when the original came out in '77; it's in my DNA!)

She looked at me skeptically and said "EVERY one?"

I thought about it and then assured her that yes, that was probably the case throughout the US and probably beyond, with very few exceptions.

"Well, I've never heard of it!" she said with a huge grin, probably enjoying seeing the kid in me....

So, now the bet's on! She says tomorrow at work she's emailing about a dozen people in her buyer's circle (purchase/parts work for a major company) to see if they've ever heard of the X-Wing! The stipulation is that all must be male, and in their 30's. When she saw how certain I was that most, if not all, would have AT LEAST HEARD of the X-Wing, she declined to turn it into a TRUE bet....but still maintains certainty that many will reply with a blank.

I think the fact that she works in the defense industry could add to the probability of my success, meaning as opposed to being in a librarian's circle or something.

Jeez, wish this was Vegas...I'm not a betting man, but this would be the time to start....close to a sure thing, wouldn't you think?

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

What do you expect? She's female. Probably collecting those candy coloured horses with long hair or something when Star Wars came out.

Btw do you count the DARPA X-Wing stopped rotor helicopter as a point for or against?

Edited by Ken Lim
What do you expect? She's female. Probably collecting those candy coloured horses with long hair or something when Star Wars came out.

Btw do you count the DARPA X-Wing stopped rotor helicopter as a point for or against?

Good question...can't say I'd allow that one to count, though... B) :(

Really? And she never heard of Star Wars until recently. I think even monks in some kind of temple in the deepest part of the heart of Tibet saw Star Wars the year it came out. Oh well, at least your friend was spared the horror of watching the STAR WARS CHRISTMAS SPECIAL.

Really? And she never heard of Star Wars until recently. I think even monks in some kind of temple in the deepest part of the heart of Tibet saw Star Wars the year it came out. Oh well, at least your friend was spared the horror of watching the STAR WARS CHRISTMAS SPECIAL.

LOL....well, she'd HEARD of it, but hadn't SEEN it. I told her jokingly that there were pygmy natives in the Amazon as yet untouched by civilization who knew what a lightsaber and an X-Wing were. Fortunately she found that observation amusing.... :beer4:

• 2 weeks later...
When we got to the final battle to destroy the Death Star I pointed out the X-Wings and told her "When I was a kid, every little boy wanted to be an X-Wing pilot." 

Andrew - hate to tell you - not everyone wanted to be a member of the Rebellion.

I was in Grade 4, and I REALLY wanted to be a TIE fighter pilot. Ths ship looked WAY cooler, and the Empire had much better looking uniforms and other gear. Then again, could be the closet fascist in me....

Grant

Last winter I watched a hilarious play in Calgary called, “A Boy’s Own Jedi Handbook.†If you ever get a chance to see this play – do it. I haven’t done too much live theater, but this play had the entire theater in stitches.

The basic premises is a little boy reflects on how watching Star Wars as a child changed his life forever. There were all the Star Wars toys (many of which I played with), there were the childhood memories, like rolling the largest snowball in the school yard and then pretending it’s the Death Star.

There’s apparently two other plays that deal with Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi as he ages.

When we got to the final battle to destroy the Death Star I pointed out the X-Wings and told her "When I was a kid, every little boy wanted to be an X-Wing pilot." 

Andrew - hate to tell you - not everyone wanted to be a member of the Rebellion.

I was in Grade 4, and I REALLY wanted to be a TIE fighter pilot. Ths ship looked WAY cooler, and the Empire had much better looking uniforms and other gear. Then again, could be the closet fascist in me....

Grant

I sure didn't want to be an X-Wing or TIE pilot... I wanted to command the SUPER STAR DESTROYER!!! :thumbsup:

The SSD beats the Mon Calamari cruisers, Nebulon B and the X/A/B/Y-Wing fighters any day!

The X-Wing was cool, but I wanted to fly Starbuck's wing in my own Viper!

hmm, come to think of it, now I just want to fly the 'new' Starbuck in the new BSG. :thumbsup:

Edited by scalemdlr_svaz
hmm, come to think of it, now I just want to fly the 'new' Starbuck in the new BSG

:cheers:

u and everyone else! :cheers:

is anyone gogin to make a '2003' viper kit? i mean i know its pretty similar to the origional vipers, btu still looks a tad different. im no galactica buff, so i coudent really tell you.

...its funyn watchign the New BSG, i love it, but out of the first season ive seen marines running round countless times, but never seen a shot fired!

compared to SG1's slug fest, it feels....so......empty! LOL

regards

Raymond