Started on my HAF PI2000 :)

Well, i got the kit, got the decals, decided on the S/N....and started torturing myself!!!!

The MFD's on the 1/48 are a nightmare to build. I'm using as templates the MFD's from the Eduard etched parts for the F-15E (nice seperate MFD's etc). So far i have painted the pit and the instrument panels, placed one small mfd in place in the front panel and scratchbuilted the HUD.

100_0162.jpg

For the seats i decided not to go for resin ones, since most of them have the belts twisted in the same way in both seats, but instead i'll use the eduards "MB Mk7 Seat Belt" photo etched parts. They look promising, they are pre-painted (i know..i should do the painting my self but...hey this saves time ;) ) and they can be positioned in any angle i want.

seatbelts.jpg

More to follow when i'll start the rear pit.... (anothe two MFD's.....what a nightmare :worship::cheers::angry: ) :blink:

Edited by Heater

Two hours after deciding to call it a day, after one MFD and the basis for the HUD, my masochistic side came to surface again and drag me to the workbench to finish the basic MFD and HUD built. so here is a small update. All MFD's are in place, the ICP is painted black and the braces for the HUD are in place. Now i can call it a day........for another two hours that is....since i'm already itching to start on the bang seats :cheers::angry:

Now i have to make the backside of the MFD's (boxes), the glass for the HUD, and start adding detail to the sides of the pit.

pit.jpg

"PhantoMasochistFreak" :worship:

Edited by Heater

Here are the first pics of the seats with the etched belts. Although an accident i had.....the CA splatered all over the place ...including me (thank god i wear glasses, otherwise i'd be building the rhino with eyes totaly shut!! ;)) i managed to finish the front seat.

Here is a side view pic. The colours of the seat are olive drab and dark forest green.

100_0179.jpg

Front view of the seat:

100_0178.jpg

And this is how i looks like inside the pit :

100_0174.jpg

comments are welcomed :D

Well i hope the rest of the pit will look like the seats Dimo :blink:

@Phantom Phixer : Actually this is my other project, a HAF 1/32 BLK-30 with a tail art. I have a thread "Progress Builts" somewhere that i havent updated it for some time now due to the GB. But i'm working on it and post some new pics soon :(

Nahh....it's not aced...lets call it a decent effort :huh: I'm sure your PI will come out great Damian :(

As for the progress......i decided to open a few fuselage access panels. Lets see how this will come out!!!

As a kid i liked to open things up like food cans etc......always have been intrigued by the question "what it looks like on the inside". Then i bought my first model scalpel and decided to start slashing my first models. I managed to subdue this urge for years but after watching Pierre's work it surfaced again. Yep it's all his fault.... :worship: :) :D

On the serious side now, i'm thinking of opening a few fuselage panels and maybe the gun port. I have some pieces from the Verlinden resin kit in the spares box that i can use :thumbsup:

As a kid i liked to open things up like food cans etc......always have been intrigued by the question "what it looks like on the inside". Then i bought my first model scalpel and decided to start slashing my first models. I managed to subdue this urge for years but after watching Pierre's work it surfaced again. Yep it's all his fault.... :worship: :D :)

On the serious side now, i'm thinking of opening a few fuselage panels and maybe the gun port. I have some pieces from the Verlinden resin kit in the spares box that i can use :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the open bits!!! I've decided to go with an inflight pose for my F-4, tentativley called "PI in the sky" at the moment :D

-Damian

ps. I love your cp so far!!

Small update: Finished the MFD's and the second seat. Then dry fitted everything to see if there were any problems. Here are two pics fromt the tests :

top view of the pit. All the seat belts are in place. Now the rear instrument panel needs wiring.

100_0181.jpg

Rear view : Painted some details on the MFD's. Actually are small dots or green paint representing the data. On the right one i tried to paint the radar scope. Now the buttons need to be added, and some drybrushing and they are done.

100_0183.jpg

Next, is to add the side wall details on the pit, the sticks & throttles, and everything else i can put in this small area.

Edited by Heater

Very small update here : Made the first of the two pieces representing the fuselage bulkheads of the rhino as seen in verlinden's walkaround book (when the engine is removed). Next is the rear bulkhead, reshape the right intake, and start putting ribs spars and wires.....Oh and almost forgot....learn to use the scalpel without cutting myself..(notice the band aid :thumbsup: :) :D)

rear view of the bulkhead 100_0196.jpg

forward view

100_0197.jpg

I sure hopw so, but we'll see how it goes :woo:

Well if your work continues at this pace and quality then I don't see any reason why your PI won't stomp colon! :woo:

-Damian

Small update on the construction of the inside of the Rhino:

(I still dont know how i got this idea of the "open engine bay" model......geez it needs a load of work!!!) Anyway:

Rear part of the engine bay is almost formed, and have started to add the wiring. The square and cylindrical pieces are from a scraped MoBo!!!!!!

100_0206.jpg

Also bought another Eduard's etched kit. Here are the parts on the wing pylon:

100_0210.jpg

...I still dont know how i got this idea of the "open engine bay" model...

You shure, uhh? :thumbsup:

Anyway:

Rear part of the engine bay is almost formed, and have started to add the wiring. The square and cylindrical pieces are from a scraped MoBo!!!!!!

May I suggest something? Your photo shows 2 green bulkheads. In a real Phantom there is only the fore bulkhead (separating the intake trunk from the engine intake. There is no aft bulkhead. The engine is suspended at the front to a rail (at 12 o'clock), and at the rear by two large bolts (one at 9 o'clock, one at 2 o'clock).

Other improvement you might consider for your engine bay: the "roof" is not a squared piece of metal. It has a rounded "tunnel" shape. If you look at a cross-section, you would see an inverted "U".

Well, I guess I've now delayed your project by 2 weeks at last :worship: Sorry for that!

Just teasing you of course :worship:

Cheers,

Pierre

Edited by Scalephantomphixer