Hobby Lobby strikes again!!

Yardbird,

I'm relieved to hear about those last twelve aircraft. I was nervous to start sanding the thickness of the wing roots. I picked up some F-4B tires from squadron, and I'll have to double check, but I thought the RF-4B kit came with the F-4B short exhaust nozzles...

Other than the tires and some aftermarket seats, my RF-4B is going to be completely OOB. I can't wait to see yours completed.

Aaron

The nearest Hobby Lobby to me in Pennsylvania is hundreds of miles away. Wouldn't you know it I'll be at our office outside of Chicago NEXT week, with a Hobby Lobby right down the street and no sale.

I swear this has happened to me three times since they started doing this... :cop:

Yardbird,

I'm relieved to hear about those last twelve aircraft. I was nervous to start sanding the thickness of the wing roots. I picked up some F-4B tires from squadron, and I'll have to double check, but I thought the RF-4B kit came with the F-4B short exhaust nozzles...

Other than the tires and some aftermarket seats, my RF-4B is going to be completely OOB. I can't wait to see yours completed.

Aaron

The Bureau #s for the twelve are: 153114, 153115, plus 157342 thru 157351. My kit definately has the long F-4J nozzles. I probably won't get mine built for awhile because I have several other projects in line in front of it. I haven't decided whether to build the gray one with green/gold tail or the black one used for the retirement ceremony. My wife says to do the black one, but I would like to do the green tail to match the 1/72 one I did in that scheme. :wave:

Darwin

Yardbird,

I went through my RF-4B today and checked out the exhausts. Sure enough, it looks as though I have both short and long style cans.

100_0258.jpg

My RF-4B also provides several options for the vertical tail, parts 16, 17, and 18. You can see the top is trimmed off on the fuselage halves. Do they represent different RF-4x versions?

100_0260.jpg

Edited by jester292
My RF-4B also provides several options for the vertical tail, parts 16, 17, and 18. You can see the top is trimmed off on the fuselage halves. Do they represent different RF-4x versions?

100_0260.jpg

Aaron, the top one looks like the tip on the PI2000, the middle one looks like a Kai. The bottom one looks like it's on the bottom (ok, sorry).

:wave:

Yardbird,

The plain fin cap was originally on RF-4s then they added the cap with the single tear dropped ECM antenna. I have never seen an RF-4 with the two smaller antenna.

Darwin

• 1 year later...

I don't know why i keep torturing myself by reading about these HL sales. I live in Northeastern Massachusetts. There isn't a Hobby Lobby for 500 miles, and my LHS is a HT-USA, (which stands for "Hey That's Unusually Super-Axpensive!) (Gimme a break, it's 8am, and that's the best I could come up with.) My local Michael's pretty much only sells Monogram kits, and those are almost exclusively cars (There's the F-15E, F-14, AH-64, SR-71, F-15C, F-18C sometimes, and the Testor's P-51. That's usually all the planes they have there.) Sigh.

Ive picked some stuff up recently, but not a lot.

I know my local HL has a 1/48 B-1B thats been there for almost a year now. The box is torn all to hell, but I opened it up, and it almost looks like its all there but Im not 100%. I was amazed to find that the decals & instruction sheet are still in it.

Next time I go up there, Im going to talk to a manager about getting a good discount on it, b/c the box is torn up so bad and its been on the shelf for so long.

Man, keep your eyes open.

I scored an Academy 1/32 F-16CJ for for $35 in Holland, MI.

I also took a trip to Mississippi and scored the Academy 1/32 F-18C for $32 in Hattiesberg.

All the while, the same kits were on the shelf for full price!

If you shop HL, you have to check the Clearance islands. That's where the deals are.

No recent clearance finds for me within the past couple months. But, a few months back I did manage to score a RoG rebox of the Monogram 1/72 B-36 and the Revell 1/96 Saturn V on clearance. Price paid was $16.00 each. :cheers::crying:

Edited by Jay Chladek
No recent clearance finds for me within the past couple months. But, a few months back I did manage to score a RoG rebox of the Monogram 1/72 B-36 and the Revell 1/96 Saturn V on clearance. Price paid was $16.00 each. :blink: :yahoo:

DUDE!!! That's a heckuva find right there.

Best deal I ever got at HL was 3 Academy 1/32 F/A-18C kits, got them for $20/ea. The kits were mis-priced @ $40/ea, and were on clearance @ ½ off for some reason, this was about 4 months after the kit came out too.

Ken