Okay, I've started my lightsaber. It won't light up or anything, just a really nice looking hilt, I hope, unique to my personal tastes, abilities, and the materials available to me.

First pic is a collection of parts to be used. Within one day of construction a few of these ended up being discarded or replaced as better ideas and needs arose. Steel piping and fittings are electrical conduit. Black strips are the grips.

Those of you who have played brass instruments in school or even later may recognize the brass pieces as valve caps and ends from a tuba and a baritone, plus the small silver-colored knob is the valve cap from a trumpet. Makes sense that since I'm a musician and music teacher that my lightsaber would include such parts, even though my own musical "voice" is actually the flute and as a composer....

And as of today (sunday) the center bit of the unit, namely the hand grip, is completed, with switch and grips installed. Monday I get access to a lathe to shape the steel extensions and brass bits that will go on either end of it....man, I have to say this thing feels great in the palm, especially with the switch! New approach to modelmaking for sure!

Okay, I've started my lightsaber. It won't light up or anything, just a really nice looking hilt, I hope, unique to my personal tastes, abilities, and the materials available to me.

First pic is a collection of parts to be used. Within one day of construction a few of these ended up being discarded or replaced as better ideas and needs arose. Steel piping and fittings are electrical conduit. Black strips are the grips.

Those of you who have played brass instruments in school or even later may recognize the brass pieces as valve caps and ends from a tuba and a baritone, plus the small silver-colored knob is the valve cap from a trumpet. Makes sense that since I'm a musician and music teacher that my lightsaber would include such parts, even though my own musical "voice" is actually the flute and as a composer....

Andrew...looks like it's going to turn into a really nice lightsabre. I like the idea. I've often thought about making one of my own too. Mine, I'd like to turn into a double bladed lightsabre a la Darth Maul, mainly because of my interest in the "bo" as a martial arts fighting weapon. :blink:

Would love to see your lightsabre once completed.

Now HERE'S some work that exceeded my expectations, to make the "nozzle" end. On the left you see the electrical conduit fittings I used as a starting point, and on the right you can see the identical pieces after being machined on a lathe. Amazing what you can do with the right tools. Actually kudos to my friend Sean who did the lathing, just so I don't get credited with that bit of mastery.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Last one for today. Here, all steel parts have now been machined and polished and are test fitted onto the grip with all parts except the belt clip.

Only thing left now is to re-lacquer the brass parts with golden finish used on brass musical instruments. It will REALLY look sharp with that done. Oh, and then to rivet the belt clip I made today onto it. I can't wait!!!!

That's looking really cool. Working with custom metal parts is a feeling unto itself, huh? Wouuld that I had a metal shop to play around in.

Yeah, I'm lucky...been allowed to use the machines and expertise of the guy in charge of musical instrument repair for my school district.

Last one for today.  Here, all steel parts have now been machined and polished and are test fitted onto the grip with all parts except the belt clip.

Only thing left now is to re-lacquer the brass parts with golden finish used on brass musical instruments.  It will REALLY look sharp with that done.  Oh, and then to rivet the belt clip I made today onto it.  I can't wait!!!!

Now put a pic up where you're holding one in a attack stance... :worship: Then I'll Photoshop a lightsabre blade to it. What color you want?

Me, I prefer red according to my nature. Y'know... But of course if you have a preference for blue or purple, I can do either or both...

force_lightning.jpg

Edited by The_Animal
Last one for today.  Here, all steel parts have now been machined and polished and are test fitted onto the grip with all parts except the belt clip.

Only thing left now is to re-lacquer the brass parts with golden finish used on brass musical instruments.  It will REALLY look sharp with that done.  Oh, and then to rivet the belt clip I made today onto it.  I can't wait!!!!

Now put a pic up where you're holding one in a attack stance... :worship: Then I'll Photoshop a lightsabre blade to it. What color you want?

Me, I prefer red according to my nature. Y'know... But of course if you have a preference for blue or purple, I can do either or both...

force_lightning.jpg

YES!!! Think I'll take you up on that when it's finished!!!

Hey Andy, it's looking somewhat like Mace Windu's sabre :thumbsup:

Mace%20Windu%20Lightsaber%20FX%20Edition%20-%203%20(Purple).jpg

Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well as it progressed....it's funny, no matter how much you plan it out it ends up taking a life of its own as it accepts, rejects, and modifies the original ideas....until you get something uniquely yours. I have to say I think Mace's LS is my favorite, but I didn't want a replica of anyone's in particular.

Now you have to meditate and use the Force to bind all together!!

The crystal must be of the right type and using the force will harmonise it into the sabres design.

:thumbsup:

Get a hold of I, Jedi by Mike Stackpole and read how Corran Horn gets his light sabre up and running. He used a speeder bike handle for his sabre :)

:D

MikeJ