• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

A few more progress on my mig, today

Yesterday, I have finished the riveting of the fuselage. Even with the help of rosie the riveter, it is very time consuming

m19_87s.jpg m19_88s.jpg m19_89s.jpg

In parallel, I have assembled the two auxilliary fuel tanks. To clean the seam with the attachments, i have used plastic dissolved in cellulosic cleaner.

m19_81s.jpg m19_82s.jpg m19_83s.jpg

One of the flap was a too short. It was repaired with a small picee of plasticard.

m19_84s.jpg m19_85s.jpg

Finally, the airbrake and the landing gears have been prepared for painting.

m19_86s.jpg

m19_80.jpg

I will soon be able to glue the wings on the fuselage.

Thank you for reading

Edited by Bistromath

Hi all,

A small update today, with various tasks required before beginnig the paint job.

Landing gears have been airbrushed :

m19_90.jpg

m19_91.jpg

The antennas which had disappeared at the beginning of the build have been replaced with metallic rod. I still need to sand inside the air intake.

m19_92.jpg

The mig-19 has a lot of tiny air intakes (I don't know the correct word for these items). They have been hollowed with a small round file :

m19_95.jpg

m19_93.jpg

The wings are now glued onto the fuselage. In order to preserve the riveting, the small gap beween wings and fuselage has been filled with Mr Surfacer 1000. The putty was applied with a small brush, and smoothed 5 min. later with acetone. A useful tip!

m19_94.jpg

Take care

Gabriel ,

A little off topic: I really enjoy your presentation technique of having small thumbnails which open to larger images. Is there a tutorial on line that explains how to do that?

Thanks for a great in-progress study.

Gene K

Gabriel ,

A little off topic: I really enjoy your presentation technique of having small thumbnails which open to larger images. Is there a tutorial on line that explains how to do that?

Thanks for a great in-progress study.

Gene K

Hi Gene

Obviously, you have to create 2 images. In the exemple below, the big one is named m19_96.jpg, the small one m19_96s.jpg.

You type the following text

m19_97.jpg

and you get

m19_96s.jpg

I hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

At last, the paint job starts up.

For the moment, it is a basic task. I have simply airbrushed two thin coats of alclad duraluminium.

Here is the result

m19_121s.jpg m19_120s.jpg

m19_122s.jpg m19_123s.jpg

m19_124s.jpg

m19_125s.jpg m19_126s.jpg

I am happy with this shot :worship: . The problems I encountered at the start of the build have been repaired without too much flaws.

m19_127s.jpg m19_128s.jpg

m19_129s.jpg

I am a little disappointed with the result, as the stressed skin efects are almost invisible now :cheers: .

Nice paintjob!  :thumbsup:  I have never used alclad (only MM Metalizers)... did you have to prime the kit with anything before airbrushing the alclad, or did you airbrush over the polished plastic?

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes, I airbrushed over the polished plastic.

But it was an mistake because the paint does not resist to tamiya masking tape.

Now, i have to strip the paint with lacquer thinner :worship: . Then, i will either airbrush Mr Surfacer as a primer, either run 000 steel wool in order to ease paint adherence.

It's a pity that you have to strip that wonderful paint job :whistle: . In my experience the MM Metalizers were very fragile also over polished plastic. I've used Post-it notes and Parafilm for masking on Metalizer, which worked okay.

Keith