Lancaster - Almost done.

I finally got around to getting the camera downloaded, so here is my Airfix Dambuster Lanc.

It still needs aerial wires when I can find a suitable scale source. The wing tip lights need painting once I dig my clear colours out from storage and there are a few paint touchups to do here and there.

For some reason, the white PVA glue I used for the canopies left white residue in the flat coat. Never had that happen before. Rather than re-mask and respray, I touched it up by brush

Getting crew figures are always the worst part of doing in-flight models. Thankfully Airfix always have something to use. I took the pilot figures from a second Lancaster kit to give me 4 crew men. I cut up 2 to use as a bomb aimer and rear gunner, and used 2 as pilot and co-pilot/engineer.

The exhaust stains gave me more grief than anything. I applied them with pastels after the first flat coat. I took my time and built them up nice and slowly based on a few pictures I had to hand. They looked great. So I applied a second flat coat to seal them in and got it too heavy. All the pastels ran down in the flat coat and settled into the raised detail. This is the second attempt, unsealed. I think the grey is too heavy and makes it look like D-Day stripes so I think I need to blend them in a bit more.

One of my few changes to the kit was to smooth out the Upkeep mine to represent the production device, rather than the slatted version that Airfix provides.

Cheers,

Matt

Very nice job, Matt- those surely can't be the kit transparencies, you can actually see through them. The crew figures look great. I agree with your comments about the exhausts though, it does look a bit like invasion stripes, but I'm sure once you've blended them they'll look fine.

Will you be building the Hasegawa Lanc when it's released?

Thanks Mike.

Yup, kit transparencies. Three dips in Future straight from the bag. For some reason the Future went on with an Orange peel texture that I couldn't shift. You can make it out in the close up.

I'm waiting to see about the Hase Lanc. It was announced about a week after I started detailing another Airfix Lanc (This Dambuster one was purchased as a donor after I pretzled the original bomb bay doors trying to heat form new inners. The next day I broke the scratch built bomb bay, at which point I shelved it and did this one as 'fun break'). If the price/detail is right, and the overall accuracy is on par with the Airfix then I might just have to splash out on one.

Cheers,

Matt