VMA-311 A4-M 'Lo-Vis'

This is the end result of my 'do something fun to get out of a rut' build.

As I build mostly WWII props, I polled the denizens of the Jet Forum for suggestions for a kit that would provide an easy fun build, with good detail and engineering. The overwhelming response was to try a Hase A4, so I grabbed an A4-M from the hobby store on the way home. The key for me for the build was 'fun'. I didn't want to get bogged down in details and minutia, and weeks of work to correct some small innacuracy. I wanted to keep the build moving forward every time I sat down and put some hours into it.

As a result this is almost an OOB build. I dd add some detail to the seat, as that seems to be a big focus on Jets, but the rest of the build is OOB with very little refering to references, so it might not be 100% accurate, but I'm not here to claim that ws the intent.

The subject is a VMA-311 Tomcats Skyhawk from the TwoBobs 'LoVis Mikes 1' sheet.

Although not particulary a jet guy, I do like the Lo-Vis look. Whilst ordering the sheet I took the opportunity to try Xtracrylics for the first time, as I had no paints in stock for those colours. Very impressed, and I'll probably use them more from now on. The only down side is, because they are gloss, you have to factor in re-flatting the finish if you have to go back and do any touchups later on.

The kit goes together as well as one would expect for a modern example of a Hase product. The only areas of concern are where alternate parts are engineered to allow multiple varients. Some of these parts (Dorsal hump, tail cone underside insert and Wing LE root inserts) didn't seem to fit well (slightly undersize) and needed some sanding and putty to make them look like part of the structure.

I can see why you Jet guys bemoan the intake trunks. What a hassle. Based on my 'fun' crtieria, I didn't go all out, and after my masking attempts looked hideous after the masks were removes, I brush painted the body colour around the openings.

Other areas of self critisism. I should have fitted the wing tip light parts before masking and painting as they need to be blended in better. Unfortunately at that point I wasn't clear how to paint them, so I left them off so I could move forward.

I had a major brain fade in the painting. I like to mask and attach the canopies before paint, so the they get the same paint as the airframe, and I don't have to mask the cockpit. BY brain faded on me, and I laid down a white primer base, forgetting to paint the canopy interior colour, so my canopies are white inside. :thumbsup:

Anyway I'm getting long winded here, so enjoy and feel free to point out places I could improve. I have a set of TwoBobs Agressors decals for the A4, so I'll be building a few more jets in the near future.

Cheers,

Matt

Excellent Job... welcome to the world of modern jets...and you picked a fine example. Everyone loves Scooters.

Cheers

I love em the mostest!!! :lol:

Thats one fine looking Hot Rod you got there :cheers:

-Damian