P-51D to F-6D conversion

I'd like to build a 1/48 model of 'Lil' Margaret' and was wondering about the mods required to make a standard P-51D into the photo-recon version. There's an obvious camera port on the rear fuselage (left side) and some kind of port below it; anything else? Any suggestions as to how to make the camera port (it's not just a hole, it's a raised housing).

If you can track down the book "P-51 Restored" by Paul Coggan, Motorbooks International, ISBN 0-87938-991-5, I expect all your questions will be answered. It is the story of a P-51D that was restored and converted into "Lil Margaret" and from what I understand is as complete an F-6D as possible, right down to the stencils. It also won 1993 World War II Grand Champion at Oshkosh. I picked up the book several years ago and it's exceptional.

Edited by David Walker

I could have sworn that Lil' Margaret was an original F-6D, not a converted P-51, but I don't have my copy of Warbirds Worldwide to hand that covered the restoration so I am not sure.

Beautifull job though and an example of an aircraft where you can use the restored example as a modelling guide.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the help, everyone. I've acquired the "P-51 Restored" book that David suggested and it is a superb reference, though I can't see any additional mods other than the two camera ports. There are some axtra alignment markings on the wings though, a useful detail.

Also did a search for the War Eagle decals/conversion set, no luck there although there's a review on MM of the set. I don't think the camera port will be too difficult to replicate, having seen the photos in the book.

Does anyone make 'L'il Margaret' decals or am I going to have to produce them myself?

If you decide to sell decals, I want to be first in line to buy a set.

I saw the machine at Oshkosh the year it won and my eyes are still aching from all that shine. :)

If I ever get around to building this particular model I'll definitely make the decals available.

That really is a highly polished finish, and a nice contrast with the aluminum lacquer wings. At last, an excuse to use Alclad Chrome :)

I could have sworn that Lil' Margaret was an original F-6D, not a converted P-51, but I don't have my copy of Warbirds Worldwide to hand that covered the restoration so I am not sure.

It was an original F-6D though I believe the F-6Ds were converted P-51Ds. "Lil Margaret"'s (the restored one) serial number, 44-84786, would be a P-51D-25-NT, while the actual "Lil Margaret", 44-14306, would be a P-51D-10-NA converted to an F-6D-10-NA.

If you decide to sell decals, I want to be first in line to buy a set.

I saw the machine at Oshkosh the year it won and my eyes are still aching from all that shine. :sunrevolves:

If I ever get around to building this particular model I'll definitely make the decals available.

That really is a highly polished finish, and a nice contrast with the aluminum lacquer wings. At last, an excuse to use Alclad Chrome :blink:

Migrant, if you need a few more F-6 subjects to go along on a decal sheet lemme know.

I am pretty sure Aeromaster has decals for other planes in the Group. I have the checkered markings on the tail and nose for a Mustang B, so all you would have to do are the call letters and the name, and the serial number.

Wayne Beattie

Thanks for the help, everyone. I've acquired the "P-51 Restored" book that David suggested and it is a superb reference, though I can't see any additional mods other than the two camera ports. There are some axtra alignment markings on the wings though, a useful detail.

Migrant, check the photos of the upper right rear fuselage in the Lil Margaret restoration book, above and opposite the camera ports. There is an access hatch there that regular P-51's don't have. It was to get the cameras and film in an out of the bays.

• 4 years later...

Guys:

Does anyone know what happened to the real "Lil Margaret" after World War II?

"Lil Margaret" belonged to the 10th Photo Reconnaissance Group which was redeployed to Pope AFB, North Carolina in 1947. Did "Lil Margaret" also wind up at Pope AFB?

Thanks for any info.

I did this conversion quite simple a couple of years ago;

F-6DUSAAC01.jpg

F-6DUSAAC05-1.jpg

Basically, I found a couple of clear plastic pieces that fit the general appearance of the camera ports in the aft fuselage. Armed with various books on the P-51/F-6 showing the placement, it became a very easy conversion.

Worth noting is that some F-6D's had an additional camera mounted on the cockpit bar behind the pilots head in addition to the ones in the fuselage. This was a field installation, so check you ref's-

The original and the restored Lil' Margaret look quite different from one another.

the original was a field Modified F-6D and the main camera was situated behind the pilot in place of the fuselage fuel cell instead of further aft as seen on the newer version.

I believe Mike Grant makes decals for Lil' Margaret that include both versions, original and restored.

• 13 years later...

So this may be the longest stretch between posts but here goes . I have a personal connection to “Lil Margaret”, as a kid growing up in rural western Indiana you have little occasion for excitement. But a “P-51” passing overhead in the sky is occasion for loud yells of “YAHOO”! I had a tried and true Christian Bale “Empire off the Sun” moment , twenty years PRIOR to the fact. This was well before OshKosh  because I was in my early teens the first time I saw her briefly pass over my parents house in the early 1990’s. I saw her several more times flying low and fast, truly, nothing but NOTHING sounds like a Merlin engine. Then, several years later,  on a chance trip to the mall in Danville ,IL I saw the aircraft in a landing pattern for the small local airport there. So…. Interesting, she’s based out of Danville. With a phone call to the airport terminal I learned that she was restored in a hangar at the airport there in Danville and owned by Butch Schroeder, a local restaurant owner turned warbird restorer. After a 8 year stint in the military working on aircraft, I was home looking for a job and went to apply in Butch’s shop. While I was there I couldn’t resist, I had brought my camera and asked to take photos. They obliged, even allowing me to sit in the pilot’s seat. I was in heaven, and sitting in an OshKosh winner. Many years later, in 2007 they held “the Gathering of the Mustangs” in Columbus, Ohio. .Lil Margaret was there WITH her pilot Capt, Clyde B. East and 80+ of her sister aircraft. I had pics taken with Capt. East and my sons. I was thrilled, I had shaken the hand of a real WWII ACE,in front of his aircraft, or at least the representation of it. Capt. East was in his 90’s then, I’m sure that in the time since he has passed, but I’m glad for the opportunity we had. 

67D05561-12CA-402A-848E-3FD9D1184DC3.jpeg.5aeac52836f95fc78a66d9d36e5cc82b.jpeg