Japanese Trainer

Does anybody out there in model land know where I can find the correct orange/red paint for WWII Japanese trainer aircraft? I can't find much info on this color, if none is available does anyone know what the proper mixing ratios of other colors would be. I'm totally lost on this one. if anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

I understand the color used by the army was more orange, and the navy more yellow (or maybe the other way around..anyway, they were different.) I'd check out the j-aircraft website for specifics.

Here's a Fujimi Ki-55 I built last year. I painted it with Tamiya gloss orange straight from the bottle.

Cheers!

Steve

Ki-5501a.jpg

Edited by Steve N

I'd love to see the Ki-55 but the photo isn't showing up and when I right click and paste it says "The page you are requesting cannot be found!"

edit: Disregard. It just popped up. Nice build by the way!

Edited by David Walker

I've just checked and there is a mistake in Urban's charts - Tamiya X-13 is actually Metallic Blue, whilst X-6 is Orange. As it's the only Orange in their range (apart from Clear Orange for car indicator lights etc) I would guess that Steve used X-6 on that rather nice Ki-55!!!

Cheers,

Vince

I just dug through my acrylic paint drawer and found the bottle..it's indeed Tamiya X-6 Gloss Orange (dullcoated, obviously.) As I recall, j-aircraft had a formula for IJAAF Trainer Orange, but it was X-6 with a tiny bit of other colors added. I didn't think the difference would be that noticable, and I was feeling lazy, so I just went "out of the bottle." I did lighten it a bit for the control surfaces, since the fabric tended to fade more quickly.

Thanks for the compliments, BTW. I used a vac canopy from a Falcon set, and good old IPMS Hinomarus. The Kanji character came from the kit decals, but the tail emblem was drawn on decal film with a ball-point pen. I also cut out the landing and wingtip lights and replaced them with clear and tinted plastic.

Steve

Edited by Steve N

Thanks for the follow-up on the Tamiya X-3 and the other trainer orange mixes. I need it as a fuselage overspray on a Val so having the perfect shade isn't critical but this will point me in the right direction.

Upcoming project:

25438.jpg

25437.jpg