B-17 pic from the '80's at PCAM Tucson AZ

Hi Guys,

I was cleaning and I found some old pics that my bro took during a trip to PCAM in the '80's. I scanned the slides and cleaned 'em up and thought you might like to see one. Here it is.

Pete

Edited by Impatient Pete

Holy smokes....she sure looks better now, especially since she's parked inside and protected from the ravages of our Arizona desert!

PCAM....is that what it used to be called? Pima County Air Museum, I presume? Wonder when they changed it to PASM (Pima Air & Space Museum)?

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

I should dig out the photos of when it arrived at DMAFB, early in 1981. If I find them, I’ll scan a set up and share them with my fellow ARCers.

This B-17 had been a borate bomber and was being donated to the 390th "Wing" museum (Bomber or Missile, your choice).

I was assigned to the Missile Wing at that time and spent several Saturday mornings cleaning up the interior and scraping off the internal and external corrosion from the long term use of fire retardant. When I left the 390th for UPT in August 1981, she was very much a "work in progress".

The 390th Museum idea eventually went the way of the 390th Missile Wing and the B-17 moved to the Pima Air Museum for final restoration circa 1985.

When I returned to DM from Korea in 1986, the Pima Air Museum had a very mature restoration under way and the completed project is a beauty to behold.

Thanks for breathing new life into some old memories with that photo!

ATB - Rip -

Edited by RipVW
is that a late F or a G that had it's turret removed??

Looks like a G that had the nose turret removed as well as the fairing that was located behind the turret. Many G's were converted in this fashion and used as radio control drones. Do we know any history of this particular B-17?

Regards,

Don :)