b-17 conversion

wondering if anyone makes a conversion kit of the Cheyenne Tail for the monogram 1/48th b-17g, seems taht all the decals i can find, for an aircraft in a BMF have this tail type on the sheets, either that or is it just maybe that the sheets tend to show this tail set up no matter weather the aircraft had the tail type or not?

Meteor Productions lists a cheyenne tail conversion, along with a bunch of G to F nose conversions, as pre-orders from cutting edge modelworks, but I recently e-mailed with them about when the F nose conversions would be ready and they told me the project was suspended indefinately. I told them I hoped they would reconsider. I don;t know if the cheyenne tail was suspended as well or if it is still in the works. Try dropping them an e-mail to see.

thanks again jrallman, you seem to have all the awnsers on b-17's.

I will prolly end up building without tail conversion either way still useing the decals i have ordered. thanks again

Hello,

Neil Burkill of Paragon designs does one too: a resin tail and a clear vacu window. As usual, best quality. you can order via Hannants or directly on his site. He takes credit cards. I just don't know if they are in the already available items since his new start-up but you will find out...

HTH

Jean Rondia :thumbsup:

thank you all, I have ordered the verlinden set. I wanted to get it before but dident want to spend the extra money, oh well :lol: i think this project will be up to almost $100 by the time im done. I apreciate all the help and will hopefully be done asking about extras now. thanks again

I have been looking into b-17 stuff lately too Matt. FYI Koster also makes a vac conversion set for C,D,E or late G which includes the cheynne tail, but the clears are sold separately

ironically, in 1/72 the B-17G kits both (Academy and Hasegawa) come with the Cheyenne turret and our problem is how to convert them back to the earlier style tail gun position.

Good luck with your project.

Converting an Academy B-17G to the earlier tail turret is easy. Just steal one out of an Academy B-17E or F kit. Of course then you have the problem of what to do with that kit.

Seriously, I have tried, so far without good success, to make clear resin copies of the Academy G & E/F tail turrets. I was hoping to be able to transplant the Academy G turret to the Hasegawa Gs that I have still waiting to be built. The E/F tail turret would, as you point out, make earlier G models possible.

Edited by Rev Leroy

Well to be honest I dont really care for the look of the late style tail, but with the amount of work I am putting into this plane I dont want to decal for a plane that had a Cheyenne and leave it with the early style. (with my luck someone would notice and i would never hear the end of it) :bandhead2:

IIRC the "Pro-modeler" version had a conversion for the Cheyenne. Probably why they go for over a hundred on ebay. Anyone else remember it this way?

tia,

I don't think it had a cheyenne conversion, I think it just was molded with the cheyenne tail and had no regular tail option, similar to the dilemma the 1/72 guys have.

Matt, I know what you mean about that. It always seems that as soon as you decide, well its close enough, no one but me will know its not 1005 accurate, that one other person in the world who would know happens to come along. another o Murphy's laws of modeling. :rofl:

Here are some images of a standard r/h Monogram fuselage half mated with a Pro-Modeler l/h fuselage half. The Monogram Cheyenne tail piece is nice except for the large open slots for the gun barrels. On the other hand, the clear piece is about as thick as some of the eyeglasses I used to wear and doesn't mate very well with the fuselage. The best part of the Pro-modeler kit for me was the P/E engine ignition harness; adding the harness and Paragon prop governors really enhances the engines. It's good to hear the Paragon governors are available again.

Here's a shot of the Koster Aero conversion for the Monogram 1/48th scale kit.

It went on fairly well, the clear piece gave me some trouble.

Good luck with your project. :)

Blue skies, Wiggy