To any military pilots...

Just a quick question, how much 'latitude' do you guys have in 'personalising' your mounts?

I am just thinking about how in times past, pilots would personalise, name and modify their aircraft, but it seems there is a lot less scope for this nowadays.

Just wondered :wave:

Cheers

Matt

Matt,

Zero, zip, nada. At one point our crew chiefs did some artwork inside the speed brakes, as soon as the wing commander found out, it was painted over.

Regards,

Murph

I think you have a little more (very litte) latitude in the Navy. Names on planes... just wait your turn, the more senior you get in the squadron, the sooner your names shows up on a canopy frame.

Cheers

Are pilots generally assigned to a single aircraft or do they get luck of the draw?

I understand how a war footing would inevitably lead to a lottery system; does peacetime allow for one-time assignments?

Luck of the draw whether you fly the plane with your name on any particular day. If your jet happens to be in your two/four/eight ship, then they will usually swap tail numbers, at step time, so you can fly your own jet, and get a chance to talk to the crew chief on your jet.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
If your jet happens to be in your two/four/eight ship, then they will usually swap tail numbers, at step time, so you can fly your own jet

Which is a sure way to guarantee it will ground abort that day.

Never swap tail numbers at the desk.

-Waco

Which is a sure way to guarantee it will ground abort that day.

Never swap tail numbers at the desk.

-Waco

Waco,

Oh ye of little faith. I thought I was the one with the "Eeyore" call sign here.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
Are pilots generally assigned to a single aircraft or do they get luck of the draw?

I understand how a war footing would inevitably lead to a lottery system; does peacetime allow for one-time assignments?

Luck of the draw whether you fly the plane with your name on any particular day. If your jet happens to be in your two/four/eight ship, then they will usually swap tail numbers, at step time, so you can fly your own jet, and get a chance to talk to the crew chief on your jet.

Regards,

Murph

In that case which serialnumber is yours and do you have pics? Same for Waco, Erick Swanberg and Spongebob (well BuNo in his case) of course and anyone I might forget. :o

Edited by Koen L
In that case which serialnumber is yours and do you have pics? Same for Waco, Erick Swanberg and Spongebob (well BuNo in his case) of course and anyone I might forget. :banana:

I can give you Murph's because he is famously imortalized on a Repli-scale decal sheet (48-5037).

F-15C 81-036

Can you sign my decal sheet Murph?

:o

Koen,

There is a build of the jet Joe mentioned (including pictures) here in the F-15 section of ARC's Gallery. The rest are T-33 (58-608), F-15C (81-022), and T-38 (68-096)

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

I've had 2:

E-2C HE2K 165650 "NH-601"; now in VAW-116.

and

E-2C HE2K 165824 "NK-602" ... which we haven't accepted from Northrup-Grumman yet due to some severe mechanical/electrical issues. We started to FCF it then gave it back to them. Yup, it's a lemon.

I'll have pics later.

Sponge

I've had 2:

E-2C HE2K 165650 "NH-601"; now in VAW-116.

and

E-2C HE2K 165824 "NK-602" ... which we haven't accepted from Northrup-Grumman yet due to some severe mechanical/electrical issues.  We started to FCF it then gave it back to them.  Yup, it's a lemon.

I'll have pics later.

Sponge

You sure its not a driver issue?

Just kidding,

Rodney

Thought I'd through in this shot from a rotorhead. Here is a bird that I got to paint the door. The door was painted while I deployed during OEF. Amongst the Marine helo crowd, at least on the East Coast, door art is very prevalent. I had my name one it but I had a squadron commander who felt that it was a sign of arrogance to have your name on a plane - a sentiment with which I do not agree!

Timmy!

Pic of the 'bangers bird..... For the total package, go to www.navy.mil; click to the pics and search for "vaw-117". Seems that 601 was the photogenic aircraft.

I'll try and bag some pics of my current one....

Sponge

"LCDR Sponge-Bob"?? Jeez, this joint is just full of field graders...

Good thing there is still a company grade officer running around to keep the silver hairs from hurting themselves!!!

:thumbsup:

Good thing there is still a company grade officer running around to keep the silver hairs from hurting themselves!!!

B)

Waco,

Got the lobotomy scheduled yet?

Regards,

Murph

;)

JOPA rules. :wave:

Pic of the first of four Prowlers to bear the name when I get home to a faster computer... :thumbsup:

In that case which serialnumber is yours and do you have pics? Same for Waco, Erick Swanberg and  Spongebob (well BuNo in his case) of course and anyone I might forget.  :wave:

I can give you Murph's because he is famously imortalized on a Repli-scale decal sheet (48-5037).

F-15C 81-036

Can you sign my decal sheet Murph?

:thumbsup:

Hot dang, now I know what F-15C to do. :) ;)