Lee,

You're on the right track, brand new tiles have a satin finish. But tiles that have been through just even one flight have a dulled finish. Because tiles are inspected and replaced as needed after each flight, you can bet the mortgage that you'll find a combination of both types of finishes, but obviously more dull than satin.

Randy

BTW, DON'T wait on getting those decals since Meteor's stock of them is running very low and its not likely we will see them reprinted for awhile. Get them while you can.

As for me, I would probably go Satin anyway even if the tiles do tend to go dead flat since I've never been too crazy about dead flat clearcoats on models. If you are doing Columbia though, the black chines on the upper wing tended to stay a semi gloss or satin appearance even on its last flight. Reason is that it wasn't straight HRSI tile, but rather black painted LRSI tile. The rest of the tiles behaved like those found on the other shuttles sheen-wise.

Edited by Jay Chladek